1.4 ACT Warming up

moriarty

Apr 6, 2015
Edinburgh
I've had a 2015 1.4 ACT Leon FR since new and over the last few weeks it seems like it is taking longer to warm up than it used to.This year we've had a lot more frosty mornings than last winter so may just be my memory is wrong.
Today car said it was 0.5 degrees when I set off to supermarket. The journey was about 3 miles and was pretty much nonstop other than a couple of traffic lights in a mix of 20/ 30mph speed limit (joys of Edinburgh) so took between 5 and 10 mins and the temperature gauge only got up to the second bar.
I'm beginning to wonder if the thermostat has stuck open or does this sound normal to others?

Thanks.

noonoo63

Mar 7, 2014
Scotland
I am 60 miles north of you and it takes my car a good four to five miles to get really warm so I would say it is normal in the temperatures we have been experiencing of late up here.
Don't have the ACT engine in mine which may make a difference of course if your only running on two cylinders??

Last edited:

Leon Gone

Dec 26, 2017
This is my 5th winter in the 1.4 non ACT and like all cars it takes longer to warm up that in summer. Even when the gauge shows normal its still blows luke warm for a while. perfectly normal.

noonoo63

Mar 7, 2014
Scotland
You got me thinking, so this morning drove to town 4 to 5 miles and the gauge never moved off the first position though it was fairly warm by the time I got there.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Try setting the info in the dash to water temp, it may be a better indication than the lights as to how quickly the engine is heating?

moriarty

Apr 6, 2015
Edinburgh
Try setting the info in the dash to water temp, it may be a better indication than the lights as to how quickly the engine is heating?

Kept an eye on it the other day, and it took about 1.5 miles for any temp to show as it didn't display anything below 50C. After that rose quickly to about 75 and then seemed slower getting up to 85-90 in 3 miles and showed 4 bars on temp gauge.
Looks as if the stat starts to open around 75c so probably all working normally and it is just the low temps we've had since start of November that are making it seem slow to warm up, much colder than last winter definitely.