1.6 tdi missing and wont rev above 2.5k revs??

gillian & james

Feb 28, 2010
Just got home in the car, and it sounds like its running on three cylinders, and won't rev above 2,500 revs, but theres no warning lights on.

Has anyone else experienced it? :(

DaBigDogg

Feb 3, 2010
Wirral, Merseyside
Hi mate I have experienced the three cylinder type misfire and i think it happens when the engine is doing a serious dpf regen, the whole engine was moving like it wasn't balanced but after a while the revs drop back to idle. Not sure why it wouldn't rev over 2.5k but this could again be dpf related and maybe even in limp mode, but no warning lights is odd! Hope it sorts itself out.

gillian & james

Feb 28, 2010
Thanks for the reply mate, as I've been sat here for two hours hoping someone would reply. lol.

I think I sussed the revs thing is because it was stationary and not in gear. I tried to rev it to listen and look for smoke.

If it was doing a regen, should the regen/dpf light have come on???

DaBigDogg

Feb 3, 2010
Wirral, Merseyside
There will be no visual sign from the dash that the car is doing a regen I can only tell when it idles at 1k or I can smell burning soot. Also the engine sounds like a bag of nails and it sometimes moves about on it's mounts. If it is doing a regen just let it see it's self out if you can, will take about 10 minutes when idling stationary.

harper2009

Feb 15, 2010
Regarding the car not reving over 2.5K stationary, why is this ? not all diesels do this im sure

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
Its a safety feature to stop you revving the nuts off the car i figure?
The engine mounts seem to be least effective at reducing vibrations (resontant frequency) at 1000rpm or there abouts, a bit of a design over-sight there seeing as the regen raises idle to 1000rpm too.

gillian & james

Feb 28, 2010
All sorted today. Its the first time I've experienced it doing that, and I wondered what the hell it was!

Thanks for the replies :)

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
Well after three months and 2700m I experienced my first DPF regen last night. Driving into the centre of Newcastle I stopped at a junction and thought my car was sh****d. The engine was so lumpy the whole car was shaking, then I noticed it was idling at 1000rpm and sussed what was going on. No burning smell though! I carried on with the journey and after about 10-15 minutes all was back to normal.

All in all it was a worrying few miutes till I worked it out, I am just pleased it wasn't the wife using the car at the time, she tends to panic a bit.

Just as an aside, I have noticed over the last week my fuel consunption has not been as good. It will be interesting to see if it goes back to normal now and if it was caused by the DPF being restricted.