1.8 TSI FR remap advice

mike000

mk3 1.8 tsi
Jul 21, 2008
Birmingham
A little update a few days in.
i started the car up first time since wednesday when i had the map done yesterday. Drove for 20 mins and showed a friend of mine. All fine. Later that day started to drive home from work and notice the coolant temp hadnt moved after 10+ mins. Was waiting for it to warm up. Got on motorway and still sitting at the bottom on the gauge? Within seconds the dreaded engine management light! Was checking the computer on the way and was not even getting a reading on the coolant temp. Couldnt seem to get an oil temp either. Also noticed the fan come on when i was sitting in traffic. But the temp gauge is showing 1 segment on the gauge the whole time.
I am trying to get a vcds today and see what the error is.

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
A little update a few days in.
i started the car up first time since wednesday when i had the map done yesterday. Drove for 20 mins and showed a friend of mine. All fine. Later that day started to drive home from work and notice the coolant temp hadnt moved after 10+ mins. Was waiting for it to warm up. Got on motorway and still sitting at the bottom on the gauge? Within seconds the dreaded engine management light! Was checking the computer on the way and was not even getting a reading on the coolant temp. Couldnt seem to get an oil temp either. Also noticed the fan come on when i was sitting in traffic. But the temp gauge is showing 1 segment on the gauge the whole time.
I am trying to get a vcds today and see what the error is.
Unfortunate my friends. I wouldnt blame the map, its just modern cars, hopefully just a sensor and not a waterpump failure.

Nov 20, 2021
Hello, I’m looking into a stage 1 remap for my FR.
I’ve done some research online but not got any specific answers.
I’m not an expert on cars but I know remapping can lead to some issues! I got the 1.8 FR as I know it can take a bit more power when being tuned.
I’m on a tight budget so what would need to be changed/upgraded from stock for a stage 1 remap?
I don’t rag my car about and I barely put any miles on it, I just want that extra umf when I put my foot down now and then as I don’t feel like it’s very responsive or powerful at the moment.
Thank you in advance :)
How many miles do you get per tank mines been getting average 260 miles stock not sure if that’s normal

Nov 20, 2021
Unfortunate my friends. I wouldnt blame the map, its just modern cars, hopefully just a sensor and not a waterpump failure.
How many miles do you get per tank mines been getting average 260 miles stock not sure if that’s normal
Im also running a 1.8tsi manual and am right on the fence about remapping. I had a mk2 leon cupra before which was 240bhp and felt it boosted hard when i put my foot on it. I never once felt i needed more power from it. Cant say the same for the 1.8 tsi tho. Feels really underwhelming to me. Dont get me wrong i can get it to move but it never puts me in my seat or scares the mrs like the cupra did. I keep finding posts saying the clutch wont hold up long on the 1.8tsi which is putting me off. If someone could clear this up for me it would be great. Roughly how much torque will the manual clutch take? Im after 250bhp, would the apr map guarantee them sort of figures and would my clutch just slip? I just cant find a definite answer from the forum as most posts are with dsg maps with limited torque settings.

Sep 27, 2022
Ive got 1.8tsi manual. Owned for a year and half.
I have had mine remapped by apr stock it run 190hp after tune 253hp and 376nm.
Car is amazing now, prior to the map it was pretty slugish.
Map has been on almost a year great fun. Any questions just ask
I’m looking to get my 1.8tsi Manual stage 1 and the figures are pretty much the same as yours. Have you done anything to the clutch or not as I’m being told different things and don’t know what to trust but want the remap badly as it will complete my car. Thanks.

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
I’m looking to get my 1.8tsi Manual stage 1 and the figures are pretty much the same as yours. Have you done anything to the clutch or not as I’m being told different things and don’t know what to trust but want the remap badly as it will complete my car. Thanks.
Still on stock clutch no problems no slip at all, car just hit 40,000 so still low mileage. Maps been on since 28,000. Car runs great. Last 4 cars have been remapped also with no problems hope that gives you some reassurance.😁

Reactions: toddclifton7

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
Also car is on what they call low torque 99ron map so this helps preserve clutch.

Sep 27, 2022
Still on stock clutch no problems no slip at all, car just hit 40,000 so still low mileage. Maps been on since 28,000. Car runs great. Last 4 cars have been remapped also with no problems hope that gives you some reassurance.😁
Thanks for that pal got rid of my worries😂 mines on 30200 miles and im having it mapped on Friday to 251bhp and 358nm, now i know I can have fun without worrying😅

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.