1.8 TSI Info wanted!

Aug 9, 2021
First off;

Hey all! Hope you’re all doing well and had a good weekend!
Recently jumped from my Clio 200 to a lovely blue 1.8tsi Leon (2017 22k on the clock) and was hoping you could guide me in the right directions or provide me with the info off of the bat!

So without further ado

weak points - any common faults on Leon’s or more specifically the 1.8 variant that I should be aware of ? I’d like to be ahead of the game!

Currently digging around online I’ve found a fair bit of conflicting information on Oil grades/Spark Plugs etc any where specifically I can find this info relating to my model? I’m always hesitant to use Eurocarparts number plate doodaa!

Now for the obligatory remapping advice - again I’ve read plenty of posts that ask should I or shouldn’t I but not much of people reporting back! Are they out enjoying it?!

I’m not looking for mad gains or to start swapping parts out, I’d just like a bit more oomph from the girl whilst maintaining stock. (I’ve read around the 245 BHP/300+ torque? This seems consistent across most but then seen some stating 225/230) I don’t fancy getting swindled but I’d also be perfectly happy with any of the above if I’m being honest..

Obligatory wooooooosh ask - Again nothing mental but searching online I get bombarded with Dump valves and ‘turbo muffler deletes’ - I’d just like a bit more turbo sound if at all possible. I know EU regs make it so a lot of this is crunched down on, if not no biggy!

Lastly I’ll combine here - Model of engine? Is it the EA?E8? something? Is it cambelt or chain? Most info I’ve read suggests Cambelt - clarification would be grand including recommended service of these (I’m assuming tensioners and water pump done at time of?)

I may as well ask whilst I’m here - Exhausts - Now on my Clio I had a non res scorpion with the secondary cat deleted. As much as I loved the asbo….yeah anyone found perhaps a back box which adds a nice grumble but nothing obnoxious?

Many thanks for anyone who can help with any of these! - I also deeply apologise if I’m being blatantly blind and/or this isn’t the appropriate section and thank you for your patience.
Other than that - Loving the Leon and can’t wait to meet some of you out on the roads!

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
I have the 1.8tsi e888 in manual.
Had it remapped week after i bought it. Omg what a difference car flies, it was mapped by apr on a low boost map 376nm and 253hp on momentum fuel.

Turbo muffler delete load of rubbish you wont get any extea power or noise unless your going stage 3.

Woosh noises. Could by a new bov/ diverter valve like forge or something.
Once the car is tuned, i do get wastegate turbo noises when backing of throttle from 3000 revs it makes a do do do to noise if you know what i mean.

Any other questions boss

Weak points are water pump on all e888 engines, it can leak, other than that not many common faults. Dont recommend going past a stage 1 tune as that is the limit of clutch and gearbox.
Had a resonator delete done by longlife 60 quid gives tge car a better idle note and a bit more noise when gunning it.
Fitted a trp front splitter blacked out front chrome grill and tinted head lights using vvivid vinyl.

Reactions: CM94

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
First off;

Hey all! Hope you’re all doing well and had a good weekend!
Recently jumped from my Clio 200 to a lovely blue 1.8tsi Leon (2017 22k on the clock) and was hoping you could guide me in the right directions or provide me with the info off of the bat!

So without further ado

weak points - any common faults on Leon’s or more specifically the 1.8 variant that I should be aware of ? I’d like to be ahead of the game!

Currently digging around online I’ve found a fair bit of conflicting information on Oil grades/Spark Plugs etc any where specifically I can find this info relating to my model? I’m always hesitant to use Eurocarparts number plate doodaa!

Now for the obligatory remapping advice - again I’ve read plenty of posts that ask should I or shouldn’t I but not much of people reporting back! Are they out enjoying it?!

I’m not looking for mad gains or to start swapping parts out, I’d just like a bit more oomph from the girl whilst maintaining stock. (I’ve read around the 245 BHP/300+ torque? This seems consistent across most but then seen some stating 225/230) I don’t fancy getting swindled but I’d also be perfectly happy with any of the above if I’m being honest..

Obligatory wooooooosh ask - Again nothing mental but searching online I get bombarded with Dump valves and ‘turbo muffler deletes’ - I’d just like a bit more turbo sound if at all possible. I know EU regs make it so a lot of this is crunched down on, if not no biggy!

Lastly I’ll combine here - Model of engine? Is it the EA?E8? something? Is it cambelt or chain? Most info I’ve read suggests Cambelt - clarification would be grand including recommended service of these (I’m assuming tensioners and water pump done at time of?)

I may as well ask whilst I’m here - Exhausts - Now on my Clio I had a non res scorpion with the secondary cat deleted. As much as I loved the asbo….yeah anyone found perhaps a back box which adds a nice grumble but nothing obnoxious?

Many thanks for anyone who can help with any of these! - I also deeply apologise if I’m being blatantly blind and/or this isn’t the appropriate section and thank you for your patience.
Other than that - Loving the Leon and can’t wait to meet some of you out on the roads!
😁

Aug 9, 2021
I have the 1.8tsi e888 in manual.
Had it remapped week after i bought it. Omg what a difference car flies, it was mapped by apr on a low boost map 376nm and 253hp on momentum fuel.

Turbo muffler delete load of rubbish you wont get any extea power or noise unless your going stage 3.

Woosh noises. Could by a new bov/ diverter valve like forge or something.
Once the car is tuned, i do get wastegate turbo noises when backing of throttle from 3000 revs it makes a do do do to noise if you know what i mean.

Any other questions boss

Weak points are water pump on all e888 engines, it can leak, other than that not many common faults. Dont recommend going past a stage 1 tune as that is the limit of clutch and gearbox.
Had a resonator delete done by longlife 60 quid gives tge car a better idle note and a bit more noise when gunning it.
Fitted a trp front splitter blacked out front chrome grill and tinted head lights using vvivid vinyl.
thank you so much perfect info!

how you finding the clutch/gearbox on yours after the map?

would love to see some pictures of her man!

I take it past stage 1 you’d be looking at putting the Cupra clutch and box in? Though anything near your numbers I’d be totally chuffed with!

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
Clutch gearbox has been perfect. One thing i forgot i put a powerflex insert for the gearbox dog bone mount to limit wheel hop if you pull off fast it gives a bit more vibration at idle but is worth it in my op. Will put some pics up later.
Past stage one id look at buying a cupra to be honest. But i suppose you could upgrade gearbox.
There is a twin friction rts clutch available for our cars it got released around last year, but so far so good.
Who you going to get to remap yours boss.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.