17" wheels on Leon Stylance

Robdrums

"Bitchtits"
Feb 18, 2006
Surrey
Hi all

My question is a simple one - I test drove the Stylance with the normal 16" alloys fitted, but have ordered it with the 17" optional rims and associated tyres. Purely for cosmetic reasons you understand. :)

I opted against the full sport pack as I am SO over sports suspension having had enough of shaken bones, aching backs and bumps from my Mk1 FR Leon, and went for the leather seats and DSG as well, as I fancy some comfort in my life.

But how will simply having the 1" larger wheels affect the car? I assume the handling might be marginally better but will it affect the ride in a negative way too much? Road noise? Or with the normal suspension, will it not really be much different to the car I test drove, as I found that quite impressively comfortable, especially after testing a MK2 FR 170 manual?

Thanks for any opinions in advance

Rob

adriaticman

Jan 13, 2008
essex
I have 2007 mdl yr 2. 0 TDI DSG Stylance with 17" rims. Also test drove a Leon Stylance 1.9 on 16" rims, ride was softer but thought 17" looked better etc. I did not have the sport pack for the same reason as you. I find road noise fine especially compared to the Golf 2.0 TDI with 17" wheels I road tested for 80 milles. It was much noisier, unbearable in my opinion.

My car has Pirelli P7 and in a recent Auto Express tyre test it came bottom, so now know I can improve things. Have been trawling websites for reviews, as car has now done 13600 miles and nsr tyre is showing signs of wear. Tracking is fine, so it is just camber and nose weight that is causing quicker wear than the other tyres. As I want a better ride / grip my choice will probably Goodyear F1 asymmetric. Would suggest that you check whats fitted before delivery. You could then get them swapped for something better, depending on brand fitted.

MPG. I have only now started to get acceptable figures, so you will have to be patient. Millers does make a considerable difference to smoothness / smoking. I now add an extra 20ml every half tank and car feels more responsive

Hope this helps

Tony

mcg

I'm a stylance with 17's owner, seems like a perfect compromise to me, still comfortable but looks much nicer. I think they come as standard with bridgestone re050 tyres which arent too noisy, seem to get good reviews too.

Xe

I'm a Stylance owner with 18" wheels, I wouldn't worry about your 17" they will be fine. Remember its bigger alloy and less rubber not necessarily a bigger wheel.

PhilYerBoots

Jan 1, 2008
We've had a Stylance TDI DSG with 17's for just over a month now and find the balance between ride and handling just about right...

I didn't drive one with standard 16" alloys so can't compare directly but IMO the standard suspension with the larger wheels make the handling sporty enough but without the hardness of the FR setup....plus they look so much nicer....so good choice...:thumbup:

Last edited:

Robdrums

"Bitchtits"
Feb 18, 2006
Surrey
Cool, thanks for the responses. Surprised they come on Bridgestones though, I thought it was Pirellis like the Mk1 Leon.

Glad it won't be too bumpy, I really am sick of the bumpiness of my FR, but just couldn't resist it with the larger rims, it looks a bit meek with the 16" wheels, and without the more aggressive Cupra / FR bodykit, needs something more I feel.

Cheers

Rob

Jawa

Any chance of some pics of the wheels and the leather interior?
I'm trying to make my mind up whether or not to go for the leather interior but can't find any pics at all. Also having no luck finding any 'real world' pics of the Avigor 17" wheels, I take it they are the ones you've got?

Robdrums

"Bitchtits"
Feb 18, 2006
Surrey
They're the ones I will be getting, yes, and with leather too. The car is still on order though, been delayed another 8 weeks so can't provide pics at the moment.

I never did find any pics of either option either, but decided to go for it anyway :)

What I did decide was just to get the wheels and not the Sports Pack as I don't want the bumpy 'sports' suspension.

I've seen a lot of Reference Sports on 17s though, and they look good, so apart from the 2 extra spokes they should look pretty similar.

Rob

shaunfriend

Feb 25, 2008
Devon
I have a stylance with the 17s..

I'm not the first owner - but I suspect it has the sports suspension.

I'll see if I can get some pictures up tomorrow...

adriaticman

Jan 13, 2008
essex
pictures of 17" rims + leather

Try Seat UK used car section or Autotrader. Definately saw pictures of current Avigor wheel + interior photo`s of leather within the last few days:)