1995 / 6 Mk2 Gear problems.

Davidkent

Hey guys - I'm new on here.

I'm really struggling with the car i just bought.

Its just had a new MOT and so on, and is now ready to drive, only the gear linkage needs re-aligning.

There appears to be no 5th gear since the exhaust was fitted!

I've checked the gearbox oil and tried aligning it manually but it just ends up worse!

The car drives and reverse, 1,2,3 and 4 are perfect, it just doesn't want to go any further over to 5th!

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
what year and model is it ?

is the mechanism clear on the gearbox ?

can you select 5th from the box itself manually ?

sound like you have the alignement set too far over and when you said made it worse try adjust the other way ;) :p

Davidkent

Its a Mk2 - 1996 Salsa 1.4 8v - AEX I believe..

I'm not sure how selecting on the box manually works, so though i can select some gears, i don't know which ones.

Basically, All gears engage and drive fine, the box is a little noisy, but nothing too loud for the mileage..

Just coming out of 4th, the gear lever won't physically move any further over... though there's space in there for it to, its almost as if the bit on the box itself won't turn any further round..

Cheers

LMJ

Previously CEY_CLS :-)
May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
Try pulling off the gaiter, inspecting and adjusting the little collar around the gear stick near the base by loosening the allen key? nut on the base? That might have lodged turned around or misplaced itself somehow, which might be stopping you from shifting over to 5th?... Just a thought anyway!

red chilli

i have a matching car here , which does go into all gears , your welcome to pop up and have look , ie to see what differences are happening ,and what should be happening ,on your gearbox ,

i have all the tools needed to help you wouldnt take long to sort as long as it wasnt internal parts that had gone ,,,

but even then i may be breaking my car so gearbox would be available ,
let us no im in croydon surrey send us a contact number via pm hth paul !

Davidkent

Thanks for your offer bud - I sold the car on instead as it was!

Cheers

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.