1st Service Due - Need a good dealer in Midlands

Jace

Sneaker Freaker
Dash display tells me its 1st service time very soon, 1400miles to go.:blink:

I'm pretty central in the midlands so I can be in Derby, Leics Notts & even Brum within 45 mins.

I want to take her to a good dealer, I do have a cracking independant locally, but I'm not sure how that affects the warrenty etc

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
For the first couple of services I tend to take it back to the dealer where I bought it but as long as your Independent garage is VAT Registered and uses OEM VAG parts then your warranty is intact.
Alex

Igor23

Growing old disgracefully
Dec 7, 2006
Loughborough
Gk in Derby, or C&R in Nottingham, but Willoughbys in Chilwell, (where I bought the Cupra) I personally wouldn't recommend, as it took 3 months of arguing to fix my wet windows, despite showing them the threads here, calling technical services and finally customer services with a threat to sick Watchdog on em, the dealer principal seemed only concerned with his bottom line, not good service, also whenever I've tried to order parts, their parts department don't seem bothered to order them, GK's however are on the ball and usually arrive within 2 days, so I'll go there for my initial service, then to Steve @ C&R as they've serviced all my VAG cars superbly from day 1...

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
I've been to the one in Pride Park, Derby. Went in to look at an Ibiza, the sales staff and receptionists seemed more interested in messing about with each other, so we went next door and bought a VW Polo.

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
I always used Listers in Coventry, I wouldn't fight my way (awkward to get to) to Willoughby's as a few people have had some "fun" with them.

I used GK once about four years ago and wasn't that impressed, but I hear they've got better.

Wrighty

Aug 21, 2005
Derbyshire
bought my mk1 from GK and always took it there for servicing. cant fault them really. then today took my mk2 FR in to get it looked at, phoned first and was told they were fully booked up in service bays but i offered to take it anyway and wait. when i got there she'd already briefed the mechanic, he pretty much looked at it straight away so top marks again

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
Listers coventry for me too .....

Been fine up till now trying to get a faulty headlight replaced .... 4th time lucky I suppose!

Jordash

I've had very good experiences fromt the Francis Seat in Leicester. The car's had to go in twice and they've been very prompt and extremely helpful both times. Not sure about servicing, but I would think they'll be just as good.

Dash

jamfool

Search + Read = ANSWERS!
Aug 15, 2005
Nottingham
Cant agree on the bashing of the Notts dealership - Only ever had good service and professional conduct from Willoughbys - cant fault them at all...i guess its just down to your character and ability to ask the right questions in the right way...other than them i wouldn't personally go anywhere else

Igor23

Dec 7, 2006
Loughborough
Cant agree on the bashing of the Notts dealership - Only ever had good service and professional conduct from Willoughbys - cant fault them at all...i guess its just down to your character and ability to ask the right questions in the right way...other than them i wouldn't personally go anywhere else

Ok, If you think that despite showing them the fault(on my own car and 6 leons in their compound), and they still argued the toss over the matter, and yes, I can ask the right questions, having spent the past 10 years or so politely asking people "what seems to be the problem with your pc/laptop/sir/madam", it's just that I tend to get ticked off when made out to be a liar by people who don't listen very well, or seem only interested in how much it's going to cost the dealership and will SEAT reimburse them(a quote from the principal), I tend to form a rather negative opinion of the dealership in question....
Being as this is the 1st brand new car I've ever owned, I'm going to use GK for parts, and then C&R for servicing/repairs, never had any problems with these guys, period...
Just out of curiosity have you ever tried any other dealerships, I used to own a Fiat stilo, I do know about poor dealer service...

Last edited:

jamfool

Search + Read = ANSWERS!
Aug 15, 2005
Nottingham
I was only putting my views across as the title and post request, i wasn't suggesting you were incorrect - don't take my view personally

- the issue if 6+ cars in the compound demonstrated the same problem is surely the responsibility of the manufacturer and not the dealership - therefore a SEAT UK problem, and if they aren't going to pay the dealership then how can they be expected to fix issues for free? My mk2 has the same problem...

A friend of mine had a similar problem at BMW with a 645i, £60k worth of car to be told "we can't fix it unless its approved" :wtf: he ended up with them having the car for three weeks before they phoned to say it still wasn't fixed as the repair still hadn't been approved - so he demanded a replacement and got away with the new M5...thats 3 cupras....:whistle:

Just out of curiosity have you ever tried any other dealerships, I used to own a Fiat stilo, I do know about poor dealer service...

SEAT dealerships yes - others, yes, one in particular was BMW - crap! One service manager who wont talk to me like that again! :starwars:

The age gap did it i think - as i was 23 and he was at least double my age, basically a stuck up 50ish year old bloke talked to me like i didn't deserve to be in the dealership, comments like "at your age, are you sure" and "isn't that a little powerful for you" Hows about :w4nk:

Anyway, back on topic, sorry for the hijack -

Igor23

Dec 7, 2006
Loughborough
i guess its just down to your character and ability to ask the right questions in the right way...

Unfortunately it was this line that made it personal, I don't talk down to people, but I do reserve the right to tell the truth without being patronised or fobbed off (in Willoughbys case), it was the fact that after contacting SEAT technical and customer services, in my presence, and being told by them that it was a known problem, they still prevaricated and stalled me for 2 weeks then cancelled the 1st scheduled repair date by a month, do you call that good service??? I don't, and never, ever will......

Nathanio

May 26, 2005
West Sussex
www.w1pcs.co.uk
A good indy wins hands down over a dealer for me. My local indy who I use imo are better than the local dealers. Also the price difference is a lot so it also comes down to cost.

Make sure they are VAT registered and use OE parts and you are set.

How about someone like Awesome or another site sponser?

danscho

i would take it to GK derby at pride park. webought our existing car (leon tfsi) 2nd hand from Willoughby chilwell and the sales man was very good. went back to order as new cupra again no problems but needed a 1st service on our existing car and willoughby said £280, GK want £160 !!!. GK service is great no problems, willoughby on the other hand dont seem bothered i would use there service ever again. when the new car needs anything doing it will go to GK, never willoughby.

Gib83

Neeow!!
Mar 3, 2007
Sheffield
I bought my MK2 Leon from GK in Derby and if it wasn't such a journey for me i'd take it back to them for servicing. Couldn't fault them when buying the car and the aftersales service just after buying it.

Stuart83

Jan 2, 2007
Tamworth, Midlands
I've always used Listers, for both service and warranty work. Always found them to be excellent. Went on word of mouth from a neighbour and my brother.... highly recommend them :)

Hmmm Have to agree on balance about poor service at Willoughby's... They offer good deals on new sales (mine is ordered through them - beat all other local-ish deals hands down) but I've also had some unpleasant experiences with their service dep't (in detail somewhere in the Mk 1 Leon and dealer threads) - and having to phone to see if ordered parts have arrived and to be told "Yes, two weeks ago - why haven't you picked them up?" did not endear me to the parts dep't either! I too think some staff at Willoughby's do not understand "Customer Service" or "Customer Satisfaction".

GK are fine, never had any problems there.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.