1st Service

Trapper

Jul 1, 2005
West Sussex
Hi All

Well it's getting very near now. That is my 1st service on my exeo. The big question is HOW MUCH!!!!!

We are talking 10k & almost an Annual. :cry: Is it going to be painful?

:cheers:

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
1st main dealer service, I think you're going to be looking at about £180-200 I'm afraid :(

Is your's not on long-life servicing anyway?

Mine was sold to me as being long-life, but I have since found out that it's not. The dealer is trying to find out if it can be changed, still waiting for him to get back to me (nudge nudge Darryl ;) )

Nov 6, 2007
Newark
Hi andy, totaly forgot been rather busy at work,

No its a factory thing as it set up there so can't ne changed. Again as yours was a early Exeo it was one that was on 10k services.

nevwdr

Jul 4, 2009
Hi andy, totaly forgot been rather busy at work,

No its a factory thing as it set up there so can't ne changed. Again as yours was a early Exeo it was one that was on 10k services.

I have same problem is set to fixed but need variable, someone must have a solutions to this! I have a feeling VAG-COM could be used??? Anyone got any ideas?

andyj

I have same problem is set to fixed but need variable, someone must have a solutions to this! I have a feeling VAG-COM could be used??? Anyone got any ideas?

From what Darryl (cannonman) has told me, if the car was built before build-week 20, then it is not possible to change it from fixed (10k/1yr) to variable(~18k/2yr). This is due to an 'oil condition sensor' being fitted from build-week 20 onwards.....

So a car built after week 20 can be changed from variable/fixed, but one built before cannot :(

andyj

Just been and spoke to Darryl, about "FCM - Fixed Cost Maintenance". Seems very reasonably priced in terms of paying a fixed amount monthly vs. finding the cash (~£200) for each service as and when it comes up!

I asked for a quote based on 15k/yr, and considering I've done 4k already, it worked out to be ~£16/month over 36months. Total ~£570.

We roughly worked out that if I paid for the servicies in cash each time, then it would come to about £770 in total (10k = £160, 20k = £240, 30k = £160, 40k = £160, brake fluid @ 24months = £50), but the savings might be more as we weren't sure if the 40k was a 'big' (£240) service or not, so we based it on £160 as a 'worst case' saving. ('best case' saving would be £80 more!)

Very tempted indeed to be honest, as it saves find the cash etc. and with a Direct Debit it'll come out as soon as I've been paid, so I won't really 'notice' the £££ going out.

Cbeal

Feb 27, 2005
My Exeo seems to be on Long Life servicing. (If I press the check button it tells me 16700 miles to next service). The dealer told me it would be on 10K/Annual, but could be changed if I wanted.

andyj

Just been in to see Darryl again, and got some quotes for the 3 options I listed earlier....

Based on my Exeo 2.0 TDi 143CR Sport, averaging 15k/year:

Servicing Only ~ £16/month
Servicing and Maintenance (brake pads etc) ~ £23/month
Servicing, Maintenance & Tyres ~ £45/month

So brakes etc would cost me £84/year, with tyres being another £264/year

Just doing some sums to see what's more financially sensible!

andyj

So, if I paid cash for everything, over a 3 year period, I reckon it would cost me:

Services (as listed above) - £770 (possibly £850)
Front Brakes (pads every ~20k, discs every ~40k) - £60 pads, £80 discs (EBC pads/discs)
Rear Brakes (pads ~30k, discs ~40k) - £15 pads, £50 discs(EBC pads/discs)
Wipers/Bulbs - ~£50
Tyres (fronts ~15k, rears ~20k) - fronts 6 x £115, rears 4 x £115 (Avon ZZ3 via DustCap.co.uk)

Total ~ £2100

But if I paided by monthly installments = 36 x £45 = £1620

So a conservative estimate at a £500 saving......

These are very quick figures mind you, will try and spend more time on it tonight!

Last edited:

OFC

Hi guys,

I should have my EXEO at the end of next month, so I'm pretty excited about that. I want to ask you all about this fixed / variable servicing business - I may not fully appreciated the benefits / costs.

As my first car I can't estimate the annual milege I'll be doing, but the car will certainly not be used to commute to work. I will most likely be long journey, so motorway driving involved. Shall I get it changed at PDI to long-life servicing? Is this the way to go to keep servicing costs down? I'm not worried about how much a service will cost, but I wouldn't want the car serviced every year if I only end up doing 5-6K a year. What do you think?

If the car was on long-life what about oil changes? Would I need to use long-life oil? I am told by SEAT that most of their cars are on fixed 10K / yearly servicing and that there's no distinction between "normal" oil and long life oil.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

andyj

From reading your previous posts, I beleive that you've ordered a 2.0 TDi 140?

In that case, it will be fitted with a DPF (Diesel Particle Filter), which means that the oil used for both fixed/variable servicing will be the same, and will be approved to VW 507.00 spec.

Most of Seat cars are fixed interval (10k/12month) servicing. It's only the newer engines that are available with the variable/long-life servicing option, which can only be set at PDI from what Seat have told me.

If you think you're only going to be doing 5-6k a year, then I personally would suggest that the variable long-life servicing option will be less costly than the fixed schedule.

From my calculations above, I would certainly recommend you getting a quote for the Fixed Cost Maintenance option to, works out to be about 25% less over a period of time ;)

I'm still waiting for an answer on the mileage limits with regards tyres/brakes under the FCM agreement.....

OFC

Thanks Andy - much appreciated.

You are right; it will be the 2.0 TDi 143 bhp. This might be a silly question, but here it goes anyway... Can you have the FCM agreement on the long-life servicing option? I will get a quote; thanks for the suggestion.

The annual mileage is hard for me to predict at the moment; it's very likely I'll do a trip across Europe and that will easily be round trip of 3k, but it will be motorway cruising as opposed to 1k of city driving bumper to bumper. Would long-life servicing still be the best option if I average say 12k a year?

Cheers.

PS: I'm seeing more Exeos on the road, but I guess not that many. It seems my factory order will be complete in under 8 weeks(?!?), so SEAT is not as busy as the dealers might like you to think.

andyj

Yes I do beleive that you can have the FCM on the long-life servicing. The FCM just means that you pay monthly rather than 1 lump sum for each service, saving approx 25% overall.

12k/year I would suggest is going to warrant doing the long-life servicing, which will mean a service every 18months rather than every 12months with the fixed schedule.

From what I know, the long-life servicing is every 18,000miles/24-months which ever comes first.

OFC

Got my Exeo set to long life at PDI - or at least this is what the dealer assured me was done. I can't check this yet on the on board computer - perhaps I've not done enough miles yet? We'll see. I've got to review the owner's manual for more details.

I haven't yet taken out FCM; the dealer would not recommend it if I was going to do low annual mileage.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise