2.0 TDI Bmn Misfire and no power P0299 fault code

Aug 7, 2019
New to forums so bare with me.

I have inherited a 2.0 TDI 170bhp pd on a 57 plate. It’s done 120kmiles. If you put your foot down it starts to judder and misfire above 2k revs and if you keep your foot down eventually the coil light comes on. Turn the engine off and on and light is gone. Plugged it in with my basic diag tool from amazon and shows p0299 fault turbo charger underboost condition. Lifted engine cover and black crud all over the place. Traced it to the plastic manifold. Googled and apparently common fault and recommended to replace with a BKD aluminium one from Darkside Developments. Ordered and fitted so no more black crud flying out but sadly still no power. I have taken off the turbo actuator as saw somewhere the arm may have seized or unit is leaking causing no boost. Arm feels stiff but never had this issue so have nothing to compare it with to know if it’s broken or not. Before I order one is there anything else anyone can advise? Turbo hoses all seem ok from what I can see.....Help!

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
The plastic manifold controls the anti swirl flaps and yeah the sticking shut breaking off or stick on is a common fault.

I did the BDK aluminium mod although mine was off a passat and cost £30 from a scrappy. It never threw up that code though.

Id be looking at the turbo actuator with that code.

Aug 7, 2019
That’s what I’m leaning to. I’ve seen on some Vag turbos there’s a flap/door (forgot the actual name) inside and it becomes loose and can lose vacuum that way. Can see if it applies to the BMN engine though.

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
A decent garage should be able to run a vacuum test on the actuator mate.

chrisjgill

Dec 13, 2007
Skipton
I didn't have a misfire but the coil light would come on if I pushed the car above 2k. Plus there was little to no boost

The diaphragm had gone on my actuator

I got the same error code

An actuator repair kit was ordered by my local dealer and fitted

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members