2.0 TDI DPF better than 1.6TDI ?

Octane2097

Naturally Aspirated
Jan 20, 2007
South Yorkshire
Mine seems to do a regen every 180 miles, however a lot of my driving is learner driving.

being an instructor im guessing you do alot of city driving. idealy the DPF isnt suited for that kind of driving, because its all stop start stuff so if your doing alot of miles at low speeds you will find it will regen more often.

i couldnt say for sure but im guessing all VAG cars with the same diesel engine will probably be same when doing a regen, with the excpetion of MAYBE they Audi, id imagen they would probably spend a few extra quid to make it more smooth. probably not tho lol

get a 2008 MK4 TDI FR no DPF no problem!

Last edited:

Ibiza06

Aug 4, 2010
im hoping i dont get these problems. been looking forward to that car for months! that said i do two 70 mile motorway trips a week so im hoping itll be good

sicasey

FR Derv Power
Jul 24, 2005
Cheshire
A strange observation I have made with my FR TDi over the last 8 months. When doing one of its frequent re-gens it is MUCH MUCH faster, far more perkier than normal. So in other words, I kind of look forward to them....

garethrobson

FR LOVER
Jun 10, 2009
County Durham
my 2.0 ft tdi runs beatifully, I can barely tell when its doing a regen. Only way I can tell is that it idles at 1000rpm. No performance decrease at all!

had the DPF light on twice in the 12000 miles on the clock, cleared fine though following the instructions given :)

gaffer1986

Octane2097

When I ordered the car (Oct 2009) I wasn't told about the DPF. The brochure stated the 1.4 TDI had a DPF but said nothing about the 1.6 TDI CR.

I used to have a Mk4 Ibiza TDI FR which I was very pleased with. I bought the Mk5 based on my good experience with the Mk 4, however the Mk4s are too old for an instructor car now. Ideally I like my cars to be less the 2 years old or 3 at the very max.

But the age of the Mk4 is not the only problem, I don't think I could go back to a car with such a shabby, black, tacky, plastic interior again, it was horrible and made me feel like I was driving something from fisher price or the early learning centre.

Octane2097

Naturally Aspirated
Jan 20, 2007
South Yorkshire
Have to agree on the interior, but for me id compromise, after all your car is a tool you need it to earn money.
In your profession it pays to have somthing cost effective.

I wouldnt want to spend 1k everytime the DPF gets clogged for it replacing.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
Normally the 1.6 CR TDI does an active regen approx. every 250 miles.

Just been reading up on DPF filters (can you tell I’m bored) and learnt something new. There are two different systems for regeneration. The system we have on the Seat and the system used by (I believe) Peugeot, that puts an additive into the fuel to aid regeneration.
From what I found, it is the second of the two systems that automatically regens about every 300 miles not the system we have fitted.
I just wondered if anyone out there could confirm for me that what I have read is indeed correct.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Just been reading up on DPF filters (can you tell I’m bored) and learnt something new. There are two different systems for regeneration. The system we have on the Seat and the system used by (I believe) Peugeot, that puts an additive into the fuel to aid regeneration.
From what I found, it is the second of the two systems that automatically regens about every 300 miles not the system we have fitted.
I just wondered if anyone out there could confirm for me that what I have read is indeed correct.

From what I understand the VAG group cars generally regenerate passively ( IE when the dpf is up to temp and kept there for 20 mins or more )

If however you never reach the point of passive regeneration due to driving style/conditions the ECU reads the partial blocking of the DPF and goes in to an active regeneration process to bring the dpf up to the correct temperature.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Ford, Volvo, Peugeot and Citroen all use the same Diesel engines with the same additive type dpf. The additive dpf is much much much much better than the VW ones. You hardly notice a regen at all.

Completely agree - this stupid game of throwing diesel in to the exhaust to force regeneration is not good for economy or engine smoothness.

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
My 1.6 CR TDI does an active regen every 250ish miles. I can almost predict when it is going to happen it is that consistent.

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
farrar
What age is you car and does it regen smoothly?

March 2010 and when it regens its as smooth as a Bedford Tractor.

I've booked my car in for the ECU update next week so will see if it makes a difference.

Last edited:

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
Ahhh I forgot about the March and September plates - that explains why so many were registered in March I got mine on the 6/03/10, but we have dateless plates in NI, so I couldn't show off!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.