2.0 TDI EA288 184 Timing Belt, Coolant flush & new Thermostat

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Did my timing belt, coolant flush/change & thermostat before Christmas and though i'd share a couple pics a comments. Not meant to be a how-to as you can see that in the official maintenance manuals shared elsewhere.

I spent the whole morning trying to work out how to undo the exhaust temp sensor. There is a special VAG tool which I don't have. It's 19mm hex, I tried a 19mm open spanner (can't use the ring end due to the cable which goes into the loom) but this thing is tight/corroded. I tried another 19mm hooked in the ring end of my 19mm which did fit but I could feel it flexing and stopped before rounding the nut of smashing my knuckles. In the end I sacrificed a 19mm deep socket by angle grinding a small slot in the end - this worked great with enough clearance for the wire to come out - lock a smaller lambda sensor socket. The nut was a little stuck to the sensor - should spin freely - so don't just keep unwinding the nut without holding the sensor still with some grips. I had to wiggle this back and forward to free the nut from the sensor.

1610637634905.png
1610637802056.png
1610637840027.png

Then front end on axle stands, and under tray, drivers side wheel and front wheel arch section removed for access.
Undo fuel filter housing bolts which can then lift up and swing across.
Also remove header tank - I have a new (none silicate) tank to replace with.
Lots of coolant pipes to move out the way for access.
when you have access it's time to remove the top timing cover, simple enough to remove the small securing bolts but I found it tricky maneuvering it, persevered and got there in the end.
1610638275145.png

Need to support the engine on a jack - I used a large piece of wood to spread the load, and undo/remove the left hand engine mount and the bracket on the engine. the main mount is easy but the mount on the engine is fiddly and involves lots of up and down on the jack to gain access to the holes to remove the three large bolts.
These bolts are all triple squares - as are other 'important' bolts on VAG's so I would suggest getting a triple square set. I didn't have one, only have a couple of pieces, luckly I had one (M14 I brought to to my rear caliper bracket) which fit the large crank bolt used to rotate the engine (only clockwise). For the others I found my allen/hex set fit very well and worked 'ok' but I had to be very careful/precise would definitely get a triple square set if I did it again. Crank pulley also uses triple squares drives.
1610638405644.png

Time to lock the engine. You could get away with using drill bits or similar to lock the cam and pump (8mm I think) but the crank tool is unique so I had to but a locking set which included the pins anyway.
1610639031519.png

To lock the CAM you need to rotate the engine until you can get the pin between the clip and in the hole in the head - I missed it a few times! and if you do you just have to rotate the engine again!
I used my phone/video camera to sneak up on the hole - quite fiddly as you can see.
You basically lock the engine crank/cam/pump - then remove the cam pim and using the counter hold tool crack the nut holding the cam pulley, then reinsert the pin, and then the same for the pump, remove the pin - counter hold tool - crack the nut - and reinsert the locking pin. You must not undo or do up the large nuts with the locking pins engaged, only use the counter hole tool.
With all the locking pins engaged you can undo the tensioner and remove the belt.
1610638989042.png

With the belt off drain the coolant system by removing hoses from the bottom of the radiator. then you can undo and pull out the pump. I still had a lot of coolant behind the pump so be ready with a rag to protect the crank pulley and bucket to collect coolant.
clean the mounting flange and hole for the pump and insert and torque up the new pump and bolts. This uses an o-ring to seal and should NOT use any sealant.
Mine is electro-mechanical, so the pump is turned like normal from the crank, but there is a shroud which moves back and forth over the impeller to aid in warm up times and efficiency. There are cases of these mechanisms getting stuck/stiff but there have been several OE number iterations and I wanted to keep it original so I brought the latest OE pump. Found it for a similar price to aftermarket copies on ebay.
then replace the idlers and tensioner - making sure the tensioner bracket locates on the hole in the block - this is hard to see so again I used my phone video cam to double check.
Fit the belt making sure the elongated holes in the cam and pump are centrally located.
Tension the tensioner, and 'nip' the cam and pump nuts.
Remove the timing tools and rotate the crank/engine a few times - re-check your locking tools all fit, and re-check your tensioner pointer is in the correct position.
Now you can torque up all nuts on the cam and pump using the counter hold tool. Turn the engine over and I also triple checked my tools all fit.

Now you can re-build in the reverse order, struggle with getting the engine mount bolts back in and the top co

Last edited:
Reactions: Woody_72

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Great write up.

That's why I paid my mechanic to do all of that. He hated getting to the coolant sensor "real anti-mechanic design" apparantly and like you say, the locking tool is a specific part that my guy had to buy. Well done for doing it yourself.

Ref this part - " Undo oil filter housing bolts which can then lift up and swing across."

I think that's the fuel filter?

1610706839179.png

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Great write up.

That's why I paid my mechanic to do all of that. He hated getting to the coolant sensor "real anti-mechanic design" apparantly and like you say, the locking tool is a specific part that my guy had to buy. Well done for doing it yourself.

Ref this part - " Undo oil filter housing bolts which can then lift up and swing across."

I think that's the fuel filter?

View attachment 21312
Yes, you're right - brain fart.

Reactions: BillyCool

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
This was my late 2014 belt after 92,000 miles, no fraying but lots of small cracks.
1610725065879.png

1610725101624.png

So for the new thermostat and coolant flush/fill.
When ever you change the coolant pump you are also supposed to do a coolant flush and fill.
I thought it best while doing this I would also change the thermostat - just in case - I was having no temperature issues but they are not expensive and it would be a pain to have to do another coolant flush in the future. there are two types, both fit in a similar location - circled red below.
Air box out, radiator cowl clipped and hanging down (for access) and remove an air feed pipe bolted front to back under the air box.
It's fiddly (as most things are on for this engine!) you need to depress the plastic clip and rotate 90 degrees anti clockwise and the housing will pull out.

1610725157146.png

Also best to get a new o-ring - why don't the genuine thermostats come with this as it is recommended to change!
then it's just a case for some new coolant to lubricate the new o-ring - and by 'feel' getting those three prongs into their home - you can't see this so again, mobile phone video very handy to see which orientation it goes.
1610725499551.png

1610725722406.png

For flushing the coolant system I used a hose adapter in the end of the pipe which connects to the bottom of the header tank to connect to my garden hose, and the small return to the header tank used to direct the water coolant into a bucket.
The idea is to flow water through each of the 4 coolant circuits in tern by clamping of the 3 other other circuits. this was 'tricky' there is a sequence listed in the manual and do it twice to get the most old coolant out.

1610725873003.png

This is my 'home brew' vacuum pump/fill method - and I must say it worked well.
The header tank was connected to the correct pipes, I used the adaptor I had on the blue pipe - with a rubber flange to seal onto the header tank. Then I had a block with a couple if fittings, and 2x valves.
One valve goes to a pipe into the new readymixed coolant.
the other valve goes to the inlet port on my 'old' compressor.
the first few cycles it drew some remaining water out of the system, this collected in my header tank and I disposed of this so it didn't go into my compressor.
when no more water was coming out I left the compressor on for a few minutes sucking all the air out my cooling system, all the hoses went flat as a pancake
1610725823950.png

when the vacuum had stabilised as low as it was going at -30inHg I closed the valve to the vacuum/compressor, then slowly opened the valve to the new coolant.
1610726544478.png

Then 'relax' as it sucks the lovely fresh coolant into the cooling system. Don't let the pipe in the coolant draw any air.
This worked great, however if I did it again I would ensure the pipe from the tank to the valve block is shorter to reduce air sucked in - although it wasn't much volume.

Heater on max and start the engine and run it upto temp and top up header tank as necessary.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Car's being great since carrying out the previous Cam belt & Coolant work but then the other day I started my car and 'bong' low coolant warning message :mad:
Topped it up thinking it was time to buy a new heater matrix rather than flush it for the 4th time! but then had a light bulb moment!
How's my header tank cap? Is it holding pressure? - so I found the spec - needs to hold at least 1 bar (14.5psi) and release at above 1.6bar (23psi).
Rigged up a little test and low and behold at 1 bar I could hear the cap pressure relieve venting out the overflow!!! keep it simple had been forgotten!

In all of the threads about heater matrix's and coolant issue's I don't remember reading once about checking your header tank cap!
To double check its my cap and not the new header tank I did the same test on my old header tank and the same result, so new cap on order.

1621348970368.png

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Car's being great since carrying out the previous Cam belt & Coolant work but then the other day I started my car and 'bong' low coolant warning message :mad:
Topped it up thinking it was time to buy a new heater matrix rather than flush it for the 4th time! but then had a light bulb moment!
How's my header tank cap? Is it holding pressure? - so I found the spec - needs to hold at least 1 bar (14.5psi) and release at above 1.6bar (23psi).
Rigged up a little test and low and behold at 1 bar I could hear the cap pressure relieve venting out the overflow!!! keep it simple had been forgotten!

In all of the threads about heater matrix's and coolant issue's I don't remember reading once about checking your header tank cap!
To double check its my cap and not the new header tank I did the same test on my old header tank and the same result, so new cap on order.

View attachment 24578

This something that I posted about a while ago as my lid rattled when you took it off and I replaced my whole header tank (and lid).

It is overlooked though and as I've said before in my posts about replacing the matrix, you may as well do the header tank as well.

Glad you got it sorted.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
This something that I posted about a while ago as my lid rattled when you took it off and I replaced my whole header tank (and lid).

It is overlooked though and as I've said before in my posts about replacing the matrix, you may as well do the header tank as well.

Glad you got it sorted.
Your old lid rattled? Mine rattles (the centre o-ring housing) - Does your new lid rattle?
I did look at taking it apart to 'have a look inside' but I think I would have to destroy it to take it apart.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Your old lid rattled? Mine rattles (the centre o-ring housing) - Does your new lid rattle?
I did look at taking it apart to 'have a look inside' but I think I would have to destroy it to take it apart.

New one did not rattle. Not saying the old one was faulty but it had done loads of overpressure releases (coolant loss) due to DPF regen overheat, so figured it was worth changing.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
New one did not rattle. Not saying the old one was faulty but it had done loads of overpressure releases (coolant loss) due to DPF regen overheat, so figured it was worth changing.
Interesting, thanks.
Yes mines similar. I'm guessing either crud is stuck on the sealing seat from the over pressure releases - or the spring tension has reduced over time?

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Interesting, thanks.
Yes mines similar. I'm guessing either crud is stuck on the sealing seat from the over pressure releases - or the spring tension has reduced over time?

Yeah - I would supect that the regular steam/coolant venting during every regen had worn something out.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
New cap received - and the centre piece is free to 'rattle' Tested and holds pressure at 1 bar (The old cap would vent at 1 bar) - and vents at around 1.6 bar - so as it should. Hopefully this will fix my coolant venting issue.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
New cap had been fitted a week (although a week of WFH so zero miles!) and on the way back home after a 25+25mile drive got the low coolant warning flash up on my dash & sure enough my coolant header tank contents where evacuated out of the cap :mad:
So it wasn't the cap! although my old cap can't have helped.
I'll looks like i'll be sourcing a new heater matrix!

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
New cap had been fitted a week (although a week of WFH so zero miles!) and on the way back home after a 25+25mile drive got the low coolant warning flash up on my dash & sure enough my coolant header tank contents where evacuated out of the cap :mad:
So it wasn't the cap! although my old cap can't have helped.
I'll looks like i'll be sourcing a new heater matrix!

I thought you'd changed your matrix? At least now you know it needs doing.

If you need any help sourcing one or changing it, let me know.

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
If the cooling system is a sealed system and there's no leak anywhere, how does a blocked heater matrix cause the 'loss' of coolant from the expansion tank? I can understand the other conversations about a leaking EGR cooler where the coolant goes into the exhaust system and evaporates, but not from a blocked heater matrix.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
If the cooling system is a sealed system and there's no leak anywhere, how does a blocked heater matrix cause the 'loss' of coolant from the expansion tank? I can understand the other conversations about a leaking EGR cooler where the coolant goes into the exhaust system and evaporates, but not from a blocked heater matrix.
The coolant overheats/boils, overpressures the system (think pressure cooker) and vents, as it is designed, via the overpressure valve in expansion tank lid.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
SteveGSXR600K1 said:

The coolant overheats/boils, overpressures the system (think pressure cooker) and vents, as it is designed, via the overpressure valve in expansion tank lid.
Yes, the heater matrix is on the micro cooling circuit along with the EGR cooler - following a DPF regeneration there is a lot of heat in the exhaust/EGR cooler, a restricted flow through the heater matrix and micro circuit can lead to local over heating which over pressures the header tank cap.
In my case I have back flushed the matrix several times now - each time it works for a while before happening again. I was hoping each flush would last longer before restricted flow, but seems not!

Reactions: SteveGSXR600K1