2.0 TSI 190 DSG

Eskilation

Dec 3, 2017
UK
Yeah was not new to me so previous owner / dealer didn't have very good wash habits, but that was the only problem I could find with it.

I am extremely fussy all my cars normally properly polished before I have them and coated, then have very little over life with me, so agree good wash habits will stop them, most people say they cannot see them but I can also 20-30k miles a year so its used...

Needed car quick (and a quick car) so, I have a friend who runs a valet business so getting sorted once though the winter as says only light and correctable, and will be ceramic coated, after I have finished mods and little personal touches.

Bring on the good weather.......don't know why but feel like a teenager again with this car.........

Lets hope the New Leon is as good.....

Steve Caney

Dec 8, 2019
This video shows the potential of the 2.0 tsi in these cars.
The poster says its piggy backed chipped so not a real map, however looking at the vid, 0-60 time is sub 6 secs and 0-100 in 11 secs.

Reactions: Eskilation

Mr_G

Oct 23, 2019
Done around 1.3k miles in ours and love it :) As Steve says it feels faster than the stats and closer to the A3's, suspect its VAG brand engineering / protecting sales of their other badges.

As much as the extra power of the Cupra sounds nice on paper, in reality the 2.0TSi is plenty quick for me, overtaking etc is already effortless and to be honest I'd be worried about a Cupra going missing in the middle of the night...

Ours is the Xcellence Lux so not very sporty looking to say the least but that just adds to the sleeper element and whilst I don't drive at 9/10ths its always a giggle to see someone who's hugging the back bumper soon vanish once the speed limit increases.

Overall its a great mix of comfortable motorway mile muncher with the power to have a bit of fun.

*edit*
Typos......

Last edited:

Mr Mustard

Jan 24, 2015
South East
Just just part exchanged our 2013 1.8tsi DSG for a 2019 2.0 tsi DSG.

The most noticeable difference is the extra torque in low to mid revs, although at higher revs there's nothing in it.

I did think the 1.8 sounded great in sport, even if it was a soundaktor, at least it sounded like a petrol engine. The lower revving 2.0 is quieter and sounds more like a diesel engine to my ears.

on my drive back from the dealership (125 miles mostly motorway) the 2.0 achieved 44mpg, under the same circumstances the 1.8 would probably achieve high 30s.

Eskilation

Dec 3, 2017
UK
Welcome to Club-190 as more and more are appearing.

Couple of reviews said can be a little harsh when accelerating. I am coming from a diesel so def quieter.

Would love to do a small mod to make a little nicer exhaust sound on idle and a slight rumble but don’t want to effect the warranty or sleeper status or have pops and bangs. Yet to explore this fully.

sheriffwoody

Feb 25, 2020
Hi all,

I am off to test drive a 190 FR tomorrow and just wondered if any owners here have got any more thoughts or reviews having driven their car for a little longer?

I was very close to going up and looking at/buying an Octavia VRS, but the low MPG (low to mid 30's) put me off a little, and so i stumbled upon the 190 Leon. Honest John shows an average of 40.7mpg for the 190 dsg, and i can see some people previously on here are getting mid to late 30's and some up in the early to mid 40's (which sounds good!). Anyone else have any other MPG figures to share? (i wouldn't be buying the car purely for economical reasons, that would be silly, but would be nice if i can realistically achieve around/over 40mpg on a motorway run).

So the car i am looking at is just about a year old and is a little over £15k with 6k miles on the clock. "Just" the FR model so no digital display or heated seats unfortunately, but it does have the flappy paddles. Seems to be a lot of car for the money. Official 0-62 time seems a little slow (about a second slower than the VRS), but still a lot quicker than i have now.

Can someone clear something up for me - is this car cambelt or chain driven? Trying to work out what will need to be done to the car under my ownership and when (will be doing about 15k miles a year).

Thanks for any help!

Jan 7, 2020
Hello! I own a Fr 2.0 tsi 190 hp. I bought it 3 months ago, brand new. The average fuel consumption is 10l/100km in the last 2400km. Highway with 4 people, 130km/h the fuel consumption is about 8l. City driving when so busy 15l/100km. The fuel consumption, in my opinion it's not that good. I'd rather buy a Cupra, which is almost the same in terms of fuel consumption and mooore powerful. Also the car is cambelt. Cheers!

ExInferis

Feb 18, 2020
Hi all,

I am off to test drive a 190 FR tomorrow and just wondered if any owners here have got any more thoughts or reviews having driven their car for a little longer?

I was very close to going up and looking at/buying an Octavia VRS, but the low MPG (low to mid 30's) put me off a little, and so i stumbled upon the 190 Leon. Honest John shows an average of 40.7mpg for the 190 dsg, and i can see some people previously on here are getting mid to late 30's and some up in the early to mid 40's (which sounds good!). Anyone else have any other MPG figures to share? (i wouldn't be buying the car purely for economical reasons, that would be silly, but would be nice if i can realistically achieve around/over 40mpg on a motorway run).

So the car i am looking at is just about a year old and is a little over £15k with 6k miles on the clock. "Just" the FR model so no digital display or heated seats unfortunately, but it does have the flappy paddles. Seems to be a lot of car for the money. Official 0-62 time seems a little slow (about a second slower than the VRS), but still a lot quicker than i have now.

Can someone clear something up for me - is this car cambelt or chain driven? Trying to work out what will need to be done to the car under my ownership and when (will be doing about 15k miles a year).

Thanks for any help!

Although I have only had mine a week, I have found the best I can squeeze out of a 10 miles commute across city traffic, driving like a saint, is about 47.5mpg.

When driving "normally" which means the odd hammer down coming off a roundabout, and being unlucky with lights, it's more like 41mpg.

At the weekend I did a blast out to Lincoln and got to throw it around some country B roads in Sport mode after a trip up some dual carriage way in Comfort mode. Got 32mpg for that trip.

On the motorway trip driving back from picking the car up, where I was too scared to push it and the weather was horrendous anyway, I got 38mpg. Again that was in Normal mode. I have not done any long journeys in Eco mode yet.

Edit: All except that first journey back has been on Shell V Power. No idea what the dealership put in for the first journey.

Last edited:

Eskilation

Dec 3, 2017
UK
I have had mine 6 months for 80 mile round trip commute every day I am averaging 38-42Mpg now on 13k miles and over 30 tanks.

Mind you if you really put the hammer down it can get thirsty and like other have noticed traffic can dent economy but I have disabled stop start.

This is an average Over each tank. I have noticed since 10k miles fuel consumption is getting better expect its bedding in and I do like the sleeper status as it’s quiet and discrete and can turn heads when you give it the beans. Never used eco mode always in normal or sport or normal with the gearbox only in sport.

Have to say I love the way it drives and like you don’t have the sport model just the FR with normal dash and cloth seat and find them very comfortable no slipping like leather ones and no need for seat heating. Also I swapped the wheels for 18”s so not on std 17”s it comes with.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
To put this into perspective I am only achieving 37-38mpg average on my 1.5 tsi and if I really try I can get mid 40's on a run so in reality the 2.0tsi mpg figures seem more than acceptable

sheriffwoody

Feb 25, 2020
seems strange the variance in mpg - but i guess its how you drive it. ranges from 28-45mpg.

The dealer i am going to tonight, the guy says he drives around in a 1.5tsi 150 estate and averages 45-50mpg in it (take with a pinch of salt?!)

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
Hi all,

Thanks for any help!
Not sure it can compare, I have a 2014 1.8 tsi. On a 40 mile trip from home to work with mixed driving on country lanes, motorway and a stop start city stint at the end. I average around 41-42 mpg. On long trips on the dual carriageway, or a constant speed on singel carriage ways i can get above 50's. Highest ive ever had was 56mpg after a full day of driving on a roads behind lorrys.

sheriffwoody

Feb 25, 2020
Well i will go test drive the one by me tonight and see what i think - but i have just found an FR Sport for about a grand more, and i love the digital cockpit.

Will see how the drive tonight goes

ExInferis

Feb 18, 2020
Well i will go test drive the one by me tonight and see what i think - but i have just found an FR Sport for about a grand more, and i love the digital cockpit.

Really glad I got one with the digital cockpit. Having that sat nav info front-and-centre is perfect.

Steve Caney

Dec 8, 2019
Ah, so it is cambelt driven? That’s a bummer!
The E888 gen 3 engines are Timing chain driven NOT belt driven.

2.0 TSI EA888 Gen 3
The 2.0TSI EA888/3 or Gen3 was designed to be lighter and more efficient. First of all, the engine got a new cast iron cylinder block with thinner walls by 0.5 mm (3 mm instead of 3.5). There are new steel crankshaft, pistons and rings, oil pump and light-weight balancing shafts. The new engine design incorporates an entirely redeveloped cylinder head. It is a 16-valve aluminum DOHC cylinder head with an integrated and water-cooled exhaust manifold. Like before, the camshafts are driven by the timing chain and AVS system is applied for the intake valves only. But the variable valve timing system is available for both camshafts.

Steve Caney

Dec 8, 2019

The FR Sport is worth the extra investment.

sheriffwoody

Feb 25, 2020
The FR Sport is worth the extra investment.

whilst i tend to agree - can i ask why? Apart from the heated seats and digital display, do you get anything else?

think i will test drive tonight and provided it all goes ok then i will ring up the other place and put a deposit down on it with the view of buying it (provided it is as good as they say).

i will be covering around 60k in 4 years, and the car in question has about 10k already. So what big things will need to be changed within these 4 years/60k mile period? (just trying to get a better idea of potential future costs etc)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.