2.0TDI (184) Glow Plug light blinking + constant high rpm after fix.

Sep 5, 2022
Hi all, new here with a recent buy of 2016 MK3 Leon FR SC.

Week after buying it from a dealer, the glow plug light started flashing, it only happened in the morning (once started, car idled for 4-5minutes before driving), the light started to flash as soon as the gear is engaged and started driving, did not flashed when idling. (Limp mode as soon as light is on and blinking).

Long story short, took it to the dealer, they found a leaky boost pipe and replaced it, car feels more powerfull(or a placebo effect for me). They mentioned they completed a regen aswell quoting "Did a regen as well, just the normal one by driving it" i don't know if any COM was involved but the car is now constantly at 1k rpm, only rarely it goes to 900-850 range.

Is there a posibillity that they just disconnected a sensor rather than fixing a boost leak ? Or forgot to disable regen before giving it back and it now runs constantly ? Worried to get the engine damaged as it's quite new (55k miles on the clock).

Any advice is appreciated, scanned the car using Carista app for errors and nothing found (after the dealer fix, searched for sensor errors in case they got disconnected). Got full access to Carista if anyone can recommend anything or can get VCDS access from mechanic (including lift if something needs to be checked physically).

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Is there a posibillity that they just disconnected a sensor rather than fixing a boost leak ? Or forgot to disable regen before giving it back and it now runs constantly ? Worried to get the engine damaged as it's quite new (55k miles on the clock).
No - if they just disconnected a boost sensor you'd get a warning on the dash and a fault code.
No - you can't disable regen.

You should be able to check your DPF ash content % with your diagnostic dongle - mine was around 50% on my 2015 184 with 110,000 miles.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022
No - if they just disconnected a boost sensor you'd get a warning on the dash and a fault code.
No - you can't disable regen.

You should be able to check your DPF ash content % with your diagnostic dongle - mine was around 50% on my 2015 184 with 110,000 miles.
Mine shows as 12grams of content, don't know if that is good or bad to be honest, what if they enabled dpf regen and forgot to turn it off ?

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Mine shows as 12grams of content, don't know if that is good or bad to be honest, what if they enabled dpf regen and forgot to turn it off ?
I think the limit requiring a new DPF is 80g so you have a long way to go!

From what they said they just went for an drive - probably using a lower gear to help achieve higher exhaust temps for a regen.
You can also carryout a forced regen using diagnostics - where the computer rev's the engine (whilst the cars stationary) - again you can't leave this permanently active.

When mine's doing a regen it holds the revs at about 1000. I would say this is fine.

Reactions: P4ndem1c
Sep 5, 2022
I think the limit requiring a new DPF is 80g so you have a long way to go!

From what they said they just went for an drive - probably using a lower gear to help achieve higher exhaust temps for a regen.
You can also carryout a forced regen using diagnostics - where the computer rev's the engine (whilst the cars stationary) - again you can't leave this permanently active.

When mine's doing a regen it holds the revs at about 1000. I would say this is fine.
The only issue with mine is that it's constant since they had the car. Probably will connect it this weekend with vcds for full scan

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Why and how is it bad ?
There is some explanation here, Screenshot 2022-09-06 180347.jpg
it is better for the engine to drive off shortly after starting but don't 'stress' the engine.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
The only issue with mine is that it's constant since they had the car. Probably will connect it this weekend with vcds for full scan
If you use the VAG DPF app, you'll be able to see if your car is doing a regen. As others have said, it shouldn't be permanently `ON` but worth checking.

Not sure if fixing the boost pipe is making it idle higher and that needs adjusting? (I'm clutching at straws with that idea).

Sep 5, 2022
If you use the VAG DPF app, you'll be able to see if your car is doing a regen. As others have said, it shouldn't be permanently `ON` but worth checking.

Not sure if fixing the boost pipe is making it idle higher and that needs adjusting? (I'm clutching at straws with that idea).
Does the app requires a specific obd dongle ? if yes which one ?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.