Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
What is it

This is the mid-life facelift CUPRA Ateca, an update to the first model produced under the CUPRA sub-brand, which we reviewed back in October 2018.

This model features the now well-known 300PS 2.0 TSI engine found in its predecessor and in the MK3 SEAT Leon CUPRA and MK4 CUPRA Leon which arrives in early 2021. The car being reviewed is the standard setup without the optional Comfort & Sound pack. The colour is Reflex Silver with Black Cloth upholstery. The full specifications of the car can be found at the end of the review.

Mated with the 4Drive system and new 19″ wheels with the most noticeable visual difference being...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: skb and Billyray911

Billyray911

Aug 12, 2018
Nice review,thanks.I’m amazed that they released a press vehicle without the new steering wheel set up-especially as its only a mild facelift and a portion of comments would be around this update.As you mentioned,I wouldn’t be happy if you had ordered the facelift and it arrived lacking...
I wonder if they are trying to make the Formentor feel a little bit more special (as it does have the new wheel) and different to the Ateca,so,didn’t want any thunder to be stolen.
Looking at the C-A configurator,dark camouflage is still a featured option and the brembos are still only an option on the standard car and not if you pick the c and s pack-so I don’t know what’s going on!
Overall though,nice car and the updates are mostly positive. I think that the extra practicality and styling of the Ateca appeals to me more than the Formentor-as does retaining some of the manual controls.Things like the updated rear lights should have been built into the pre facelift,but it’s good that they have been featured now.Shame that they couldn’t have thrown in bonnet struts like the Tiguan R!
I’ll just have to wait for an ex demo with a pano roof!

Reactions: jcbmally

Michael1a1

Oct 22, 2015
Really good write up Syphon thank you!

Bit gutting for anyone who has ordered one an doesnt get the correct wheel, i thought i was going mad when i saw some of the early releases and it was a different type. I think the new one is a really nice update to the interior so will be waiting a while until i know thats sorted for sure!

Configurator is strange still too as lists the dark camo as an option, do we know if that will ever be available on the Ateca?

Reactions: Syphon

Mike the_cupra

May 29, 2020
I'm surprised the press car isn't C&S, especially in winter with the heated seats. I find the steering wheel, exhaust and brembos matters odd/annoying but there you are. Would I pay £3k for an exhaust and another £3k for better brakes? who would? Otherwise, a nice little update. The PFL Ateca had good tech, etc and that's why I have one. This is a subtle improvement and hopefully we see a few more about!

Reactions: Syphon

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Great review, I'd definitely look at an suv for the next car and I like both pre and facelift but both for different reasons it's nice that I could have either and still be happy.

Jun 24, 2020
Good review you have answered some of my questions but also added new. Can you now not have a spare wheel? As looks like the well gone for the wheel to sit, youve said about steering wheel, exhaust and abs tune gray area. I've seen a few YouTube videos and they have carbon spoiler trim fitted is this an option

Mike the_cupra

May 29, 2020
Good review you have answered some of my questions but also added new. Can you now not have a spare wheel? As looks like the well gone for the wheel to sit, youve said about steering wheel, exhaust and abs tune gray area. I've seen a few YouTube videos and they have carbon spoiler trim fitted is this an option
In my Car (C&S) there is a small spare wheel, which houses the subwoofer for the better sound system. You lose a small amount of boot space to have these. I assume the new C&S is the same. Full size spare wheels are a thing of the past!

Billyray911

Aug 12, 2018
In my Car (C&S) there is a small spare wheel, which houses the subwoofer for the better sound system. You lose a small amount of boot space to have these. I assume the new C&S is the same. Full size spare wheels are a thing of the past!
It’s another anomaly of the configurator.The spare wheel is available as an option on the standard car,but not for the comfort and sound.May be that it’s as you mention.

Reactions: Mike the_cupra

Mike the_cupra

May 29, 2020
It’s another anomaly of the configurator.The spare wheel is available as an option on the standard car,but not for the comfort and sound.May be that it’s as you mention.
This is likely because it is standard on the C&S model, because the wheel & sub come as a (weird) package...

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
@Syphon how does it compare to the Ateca compare to the Formentor, from a drivers perspective.

This is going to sound like a complete cop out answer, but the Formentor sits squarely in the middle between this and the Leon. They feel as you would expect in terms of their seating height, cabin space, handling and weight. I guess it's no surprise considering they are on the same platform with similar power.

This may not help but it's the best way I can describe it :)

Reactions: jcbmally

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
I had one for the day, no steering wheel buttons on this fresh build car.

I may have the first go in the 310PS Formentor tomorrow. I'll keep you guys updated.
826a2d84b0831b3c336dc73a4bcbb021.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JoseKaLeL and bgb
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members