20A fuse for HID Kit???

greg

Aug 31, 2005
I purchased an aftermarket HID Kit from DianeShop on Ebay (common kit purchased by people on here), looking at the instruction booklet it recommends using a 20A fuse in line with the Ballast. Im a bit reluctant to do this as the standard headlights only require a 7.5A fuse, thus if i use a bigger fuse such as 20A (for which the standard wiring was not designed for) then i may end up frying the headlight wiring harness.

I have done a search and nobody mentions the need to change the fuse from that used as standard. Some people have mentionned the fuses blowing, but then later related this to a faulty ballast.

The other option to guarantee not frying the wiring harness would be to use a relay but if possible i would rather avoid this if its not necessary.

What have you guys done?

Cheers,
Greg

:D

EZ Tutty

Nov 21, 2006
Derby
www.eztutty.co.uk
the only reason for the 20amp fuse is the initial startup current it takes to ignite the bulbs, however this is only drawn for less than a second, and therefore is not long enough for the wiring to get hot and burn out.

once lit the current drawn by the HID's is actually less (usuall 35watts for HID compared to 55watts of a standard bulb).

I have fitted a relay wiring harness for my HID's, but i only did this because i had it, if i didn't i'd of been quiet happy using the existing wiring.

greg

Aug 31, 2005
Thanks for the reply.

That makes sense,ll probably just leave it as it is then. Just out of interest, did your relay wiring harness come with the HIDs?

greg

Aug 31, 2005
This guide gives a good explanation of why it should be ok to run the HIDs directly off the standard loom (see section 3) and reports on quite extensive tests. It also shows that a 10A fuse should be sufficient even though the HID's draw 17A on startup!!

http://www.trix.com/Elise-HID/

Jan 8, 2008
Portsmouth
just for information i had a fault with my kit, when i turn on the lights they flicker on and bk off, turn switch off and on then all is ok! Changed fuse from 7.5 to 10amp and its working properly!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise