20k Service costs....arrgh

processpaul

Nov 24, 2006
Brighton
Hello everyone.

I know that there have been alot of posts about this as have searched hte forum, but I had to have a little rant I'm afraid.

I'm in need of a 20k service in about 8weeks. I've just called the dealer I bought the car from:

Quote "20k service is £255 not including brake fluid change which is £55.95"

My local VW independant will do it for £150+28 for brake fluid change, but the worry is warranty for me which doesn't expire till 2008. I know that it won't be void if you use a VAT registered garage and they use genuine parts etc. But I bet they would still use it as ammo if it did need warranty work.

I'm lost as to where to take it.....bite the bullet with dealer after haggling the price or the independant?

Cheers

geoffk

Get quotes from other Seat, VW and Skoda dealers. Then haggle - or go elsewhere. I had a variation of £80 from Seat dealers.

Nathanio

May 26, 2005
West Sussex
www.w1pcs.co.uk
They have to prove that it was the garage that caused the failure. I would use an indy. Trust a decent indy over a stealer anyday, especially how they treat some members cars on here.

Tell

Staff member
Sure you don't need the aircon fluid changed as well Paul... they do that with the brake fluid if it's two years, as an extra.

For what it's worth I kept my ZX running using Halford services for about six years, there was the odd incident, well two, when they would put the steering wheel on at a 30' angle and not think that, that was a problem. I'd say, if you do take the steering wheel off then do remember to put it on straight.

Then there was the time that I had all this rattling sound and very noisy through the Dartford tunnel, use to do 120 miles round the M25 per day... that one was that they only finger tightened the wheel nuts... so you can be sure of the type of service that you use to get via Halfords, but it was cheap. My problems was that all Citreon dealers pulled out round here and since I was clocking up the mileage fast I decided to go for a cheap option.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members