22.1 A/C Refrigerant High Pressure Switch, static open

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
OK so after having no air con through the winter, I'm now starting to want to get it sorted...

The error code is as per title - 22.1 A/C Refrigerant High Pressure Switch, static open

The radiator fans do not come on when the air con is turned on on the climatronic unit which I have seen mentioned as a fault with the thermoswitch.

I presume that the thermoswitch-like problem is a direct result of the air con not working, and not the other way around?

Anyone know the fix for this? I think I remember reading somewhere that it is usually a re-gas of the aircon? and are there any other usual suspects?

I'm hoping this is not going to be an expensive fix, as I do rather like air con!

Cheers

Ben

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
thats cool cheers mate, hopefully that is all it will be....how much typical price so i dont get ripped off?

If it is not that, what other things will cause it?

Cheers

BBoy82

Dan the compressor man...
Oct 25, 2008
East Northants
Right, by the sounds of it your fans have burnt out or blown a fuse. If the fans dont run, the pressure in the outlet side of the compressor will rise and rise, until it trips a safety switch, which is what is being flagged up in the fault code. I dont understand what your saying about the thermoswitch though...

BBoy82

Dan the compressor man...
Oct 25, 2008
East Northants
Been thinking about this one...
On some refrigerant systems the condensor fans are controlled by a temperature/thermo switch, and others use a pressure switch. Both have the same functionality, but with the thermo switch you dont have to break into the gassed refrigerant pipework to replace it, as its a phial bulb that is clamped to the high pressure side pipework. If this phial/thermoswitch is up the swanny, then the fans wont cycle (just as if they have burnt out) and the high pressure switch would trip and go open circuit. If the fans havent burnt out or blown their fuse, then the thermoswitch is the next item you need to interrogate.
And yes, the faulty component(s) are causing your aircon not to work, not the other way round!:lol:
Also, it strikes me as wierd that garages will try and regas systems without investigating whether ther are any leaks first. It is highly illeagal to knowingly vent refrigerant gasses to atmosphere. Be this through regasing a system that is empty (the gas must have come out of somewhere!) or by dumping the gas to atmosphere when scrapping the car. Car systems only contain about 3 mouse farts of gas, but the penalty is still upto an unlimited corporate fine or 5 years behind bars!!

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members