280 vs 290

Rafterman79

Jul 14, 2011
Took delivery of my 290 yesterday, some initial thoughts....

Much much quicker, makes me think I had an unknown issue in my 280

Better gear ratios seems to shift up earlier in d

Steptronic no longer has start/stop which is a bit annoying

Something wierd happens from standing starts, somethings changed for the better imo

Much better grip - could be down to the tyres although they are the conti p5s

Headlight washers - winner

Rear view mirror is much smaller, no button to turn off the green tint that ive found

Seat sound system is markedly better distorts at louder volumes and doesnt screw around with the levels when its loud like the 280 system did

The exhaust is almost embarrassingly loud when it farts but still super addictive

Better build quality as far as I can see, if you are unsure whether to swap dont be, the new 19s are a sight to behold

Esc dash button now, not so obvious to passengers what you are doing...

Whats that?
The esc
Whats esc?
Traction control
Whats traction control?
Keeps the car on the road more
And your turning it off????
Watch....

Rafterman79

Jul 14, 2011
Its defo noticeably quicker theyve changed something with the dsg clutch by the feel of it. I had a march 2014 280.

Rafterman79

Jul 14, 2011
Dsg gear changes under heavy load seem to take longer on 3th to 4th suspect its something to do with the louder dsg fart and storing up pressure....

Rafterman79

Jul 14, 2011
This being my 3rd cupra its noticeably quicker. Ive had a 260, 280 and 290. Bought it for the rims and embarrassing fart not the extra 10 bhp. They have definitely fiddled with all sorts around the power delivery. Clucth has changed, ratios have changed i would say the esc has changed as well. Could be wrong though....

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I've had all of that changed anyway, stuff such as clamping forces on clutch packs, rev limiter etc. the stock DSG tune is poor IMHO

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Auto Express has tested all variants over the last few years and the quickest 0 - 60 time they got was 5.5 (twice - 16th April 2014 and 4th Feb 2015) both on a SC Cupra 280 DSG. Never seen a test in any mag yet that has bettered those times. AndrewJB is correct.

Last edited:

Bhoopoo

Aug 14, 2008
Surrey
Kiddo, clever marketing not an issue, I buy my cars based on past experience, performance, looks, build quality and price. My current car a 290DSG Cupra all the bits is great, does what it wants for me. I have owned SEAT cars for over 20 years, great brand, great design and performance to match!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.