2nd'ary air pump fixed - why the warning light?

fbloke

Hello,

I've just had the secondary air pump replaced on my MK1 Leon Cupra 20VT. All seemed well, then the warning light came on a week later. Diagnostics showed same air pump problem although the air pump is fine. The garage did some resets (or something) and the warning light went out. Three days later it's back on again. Taking it to the garage for another look this Friday.

Has anyone else had this problem? Did you manage to resolve it?

Thanks,

Mike.

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
If its the incorrect flow light? I'd say you have a split in the pipe.

Its usually the seal inbetween the 2 halfs of the pump but if you've already fixed this theres not much else it could be.

fbloke

Thanks Adam, I'll pass this information to the garage and ask them to check.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Yes it can.

01 - Engine
03 - Final control

and go through the list, it wil pulse the relay to operate the system. The relay and fuse are on the top right of the engine bay as you look at it under a plastic cover.

fbloke

Chaps,

Your posts are really helpful, thanks, even if I don't really understand them. I have one question:

Can I still drive the car in this condition without causing it harm? My understanding is that the secondary air pump is concerned with reducing emissions so it doesn't sound too serious.

I just need to get around for one more day before I can get it to the garage. I've had three diagnostics in three weeks that all show the same air pump reading, no other faults. The car runs beautifully and makes no weird sounds.

Thanks,

Mike.

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
Air pump only runs first thing when the engine is cold to help get the cat up to temp and reduce the amount of unburnt hydrocarbons going down the exhaust.

It gives an "improper airflow" code when the pump is removed since the ecu is expecting the pump to be running, yet the lambda probe is giving a too rich signal level.

Bit strange to be getting the code after having the pump replaced, makes me wonder if they've put the hose back on correctly?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise