300lb-ft on standard rods is the 'limit'? think again.

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
Pulled these out of a mates S3 this morning. stage 1 revo on oem exhaust, TIP, SMIC's etc etc. 265bhp and 262lb-ft.

I have a question:

The S3 had a single mass flywheel or the standard dual-mass flywheel?

(It has to be known, for with no dual-mass to dampen the internal shocks in the engine, the risk is much higher.)

~Nautilus

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
I was always under the impression that a DMF was purely to dampen the engine pulses heading into the gearbox, making it quieter and smoother for the driver/passengers?

And that the harmonic damper pulley on the other end of the crank was to keep the engine smooth?

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
If the pulses are dampened at the crank end, they are dampened throughout the engine.

I have a very aggressive mapping, which is rated for Stage 0 and 232 lb-ft, but took great advantage of intake, IC and exhaust mods to run 264-265 lb-ft slightly above 3500 rpm. AUQ engine (different rods compared to an AMK or BAM). Map installed at 30k kms, now 86k kms and still runs strong. Engine had been opened at 70k for repairs due to a sheared cam belt and also changed the piston rings - all 4 rods were in good shape and straight. Car had been driven hard, plenty of full throttle from 2000 to 5000 rpms and 1.5 bar of boost. Still on stock DMF.

After some horror stories which reared their head in 2010 and 2011 here and on Audi TT forums, I've bitten the bullet and invested in a Fluidampr to give more dampening of internal shocks and protect 2 things I'm scared for: the rods and the timing gear. The way Fluidampr runs (counterweight oscillating in a fluid filled space) is very similar to a second DMF at the opposite end of the engine.

I also avoid like plague any form of thrashing the engine before it had hit full operating temperature, leave it running a bit at idle before shutting down, change the oil at precisely 10k kms, only with the best juice on the market, and avoid detonation like plague and AIDS together. Detonation kills. Use only the best fuels and do all mods to get cooler running cylinder heads. There were some hapless guys with AUQs and AGUs in MK4 Golfs who got melted holes in the pistons due to detonation, and what is worse, the engine is so balanced that unless you follow the slightest change in running, the destruction of the rod or piston can go unnoticed for a long time. Truly nightmare fuel.

Maybe I was lucky. Only God knows what may happen in the future.

~Nautilus

Last edited:

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
Yep I know what you're saying, it was the lightweight aftermarket crank pulleys that destroyed a couple of engines :)

I couldn't see how a DMF flywheel setup could help with avoiding losing a rod - The DMF is only there to smooth gearchanges. You could get an SMF with the same weight as the stock flywheel if you wanted to keep the same pulse damping as the stock DMF.

You're certainly doing the right things with letting it heat up and cool down correctly, that and the regular oil changes with decent oil is what the 1.8T loves best. :)

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
Corky Bell explained the issue of breaking pistons and rods in both Maximum Boost, 1st and 2nd chapter, and Supercharged!: The Design, Testing, and Installation of Supercharger Systems, 1st chapter:

"Knock is virtually always the cause of failure in a supercharged engine. The pressure spike caused by the detonation explosion can reach several thousand PSI, and pressure rise is rapid enough to be considered an impact load. These temperatures and pressures are almost ten times higher than those accompanying controlled combustion. . . No metals in existence today, no forged pistons, no special head gaskets can withstand sustained detonation."

Furthermore, in Maximum Boost, 2nd chapter, the load on a piston engine is discussed in all components, starting with tensile loads at the top of the compression and exhaust strokes and compressive loads during the power stroke.

He assessed the risk for the internal engine parts out of which the rod takes the greatest stress and the came to the conclusion that supercharging or turbocharging an engine which has been designed to be aspirated (no forged pistons or cranks, no fancy alloy rods) carries very low risk as long as no detonations are involved. And detonations can run for many miles and still be inaudible even for a trained mechanic. Until the piston breaks at the wrist pin. Or the rod snaps.

~Nautilus

Dec 25, 2009
Can the Rods be changed from the sump end? Ie removal of sump/crank etc so the head doesnt have to come off etc..

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
Iam going to have to change my driving style as I have come from a civic type r and you could rag the life out of it and no problems what so ever guaranteed!!

How long you had your car with the stage 1 map

A CTR only has 145lbft though!