310 VZ2 Servicing Interval? 16 Months?

MattyD803

Mar 2, 2021
Morning All.

I have a 310 VZ2, which I took delivery of in late March 2021, brand new from Lookers Stockport. It is on a 2 year lease, due back March 2023. So far so good, but have a query regarding servicing.

The car is currently indicating 92 days / 7600 miles to its first 'Oil Change' service. It is also currently indicating 339 days / 13900 mile to it's first 'inspection'. (For reference, it was built mid Jan 2021 and PDI'd in early March 2021).

I'm no stranger to lease vehicles, nor indeed variable servicing, including VAG vehicles (VW and Skoda), and this is the first time I will have had to take my into a dealership "mid term" so to speak - they have all been in once, around 17/18k miles, just before the car goes back. (i.e. 22/23 months).

Is it normal for this engine to need any oil change at 16 months (after build)? And then what will the "inspection" will constitute? Any ideas on costs for each also?

Thanks
Matt

MattyD803

Mar 2, 2021
Are you doing a lot of short journeys? It would explain earlier oil service.
My use and commute are no different to my previous cars, so i'd assume this not a factor (20 miles each way commute). Furthermore, it has shown this same service 'count down' from the day I picked it up, so again, not a factor....I just foolishly assumed due to it being a 2.0 Turbo Petrol it needed to come in at 1 year and hence didn't query it initially. Now after doing some research online regarding Golf 8 GTi Clubsport and R servicing (same Ea888 Evo 4 engine with 300bhp ish), this is certainly not the case....I just wondered if this was Cupra specific?

MattyD803

Mar 2, 2021
Having spoken to Lookers Stockport this morning, it would appear my servicing was incorrectly set at PDI....Why they set it to 14 months, she couldn't tell me, but told me it was definitely wrong, and based on my registration, should indeed be on a "flexible" plan, i.e typically 18-20k or 2years. Whilst they kindly offered to book me in for a reset, the 450mile round trip is an issue. She also told me to simply ignore the reminder, but I guess this could get annoying?

I have since spoken to my local Cupra dealer who again acknowledged the issue, but is unable to do the reset the system on behalf of Lookers Stockport. However, my thinking is that if I get booked in for a service with those guys in May, and ensure it is done on "flexible" service regime, I will then have 'service free' motoring for the remainder of my lease period.....? They have quoted £216.50 for this? Does this seem right?

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
Go by what the car tells you, it's not yours, it's the lease companies, and they'll say "service in line with manufacturers recommendations". Personally I always have annual oil changes / 10,000 miles (and that was the recommendation for my A4 Quattro EA888 enginesd car). <10k a year, annual service, >10k, longlife as long as it's not a car you want to keep!

Peugeot went to 24 months seevicing a few years ago, I think they swiftly abandoned it.

I'd say take it to an indie to keep costs down, but the lease company will probably insist on main dealer. My local main dealer Perry's SEAT Aylesbury says year 1 service £180, year 2 service £300. Luckily I have Cupra Care that pays for that.

And don't forget, Audi, Skoda, SEAT and VW will all set different service intervals in different territories, just beacuse.

Inspections are a money-making con IMO, but on a lease car mandatory. Annual servicing renders them unnecessary IMO.

Reactions: CupraNewboy

MattyD803

Mar 2, 2021
Whilst I appreciate what your saying in a sense (I stick to all other rules & guidelines with my leases) but in this case, my service intervals appears to have been set wrong, as admitted by the Stockport service desk. (This is not remotely surprising as the car was also delivered with the wrong registration plate and damaged).

I am not penny pinching, but out of pure principle, I will not pay Seat/Cupra for a service which is not required, simply because of an error caused by their workshop moron - so, No, I’ll not blindly follow what the car says. Lease, owned, PCP or not - hence this post for advice.

Can anyone with a ‘310’ please advise what their interval has been set at?

Last edited:

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
Whilst I appreciate what your saying in a sense (I stick to all other rules 7 guidelines with my leases) but in this case, my service intervals appears to have been set wrong, as admitted by the Stockport service desk. (This is not remotely surprising as the car was also delivered with the wrong registration plate and damaged).

I am not penny pinching, but out of pure principle, I will not pay Seat/Cupra for a service which is not required, simply because of an error caused by their workshop moron - so, No, I’ll not blindly follow what the car says. Lease, owned, PCP or not - hence this post for advice.

As you've had VAG group cars before, you'll know the service interval is set as Fixed (annual) or Variable. The car decides what variable means, dependent of the inbuilt logic and how the car is driven. I really don't think any dealer can set a specific time or mileage interval when the variable option is chosen.

ETA - and I said nothing about penny pinching. That's your take on it.

MattyD803

Mar 2, 2021
As you've had VAG group cars before, you'll know the service interval is set as Fixed (annual) or Variable. The car decides what variable means, dependent of the inbuilt logic and how the car is driven. I really don't think any dealer can set a specific time or mileage interval when the variable option is chosen.

ETA - and I said nothing about penny pinching. That's your take on it.

Correct, 2014 Skoda Octavia VRS, 2016 Mk7 Golf GTD, 2018 Mk7.5 Golf R. So, that's 3 good examples of VAG vehicles, ALL of which haven't needed servicing more than once during any one of the two year leases. ALL were set from the factory on "variable" servicing plan, hence I have no experience of recent VAG products leaving the dealer on a shorter service period. All of those VAG vehicles were driven and used by me to the same extent and all went back in around 16-18k miles for its only service - as such I see nothing different with the Formentor. (Unless anyone on the forum with a 310 Formentor knows different?)

Why would this specific vehicle have been set as specific time / mileage, when all examples I can find online of other Cupra and VW models using the same engine have left the factory with Longlife oil, such that a 20k/2year interval is the norm?

Ref: Penny Pinching. Your response quickly descends into the use of an independent to 'keep costs down', hence certainly a cost reduction angle and hence my choice of phrase in response. I wouldn't question the need for an additional service if it was Free of Charge, but I think we can both agree that if there is £250/300 bill to be avoided, you'd be stupid not to.

PS: The car will be going back in March 2023, hence I couldn't remotely care whether a 10k mile service is 'better' for the engine long term - this lease is purely a black and white financial transaction for 'white goods'.

Reactions: TheUkWizard

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
Looks like I had twin brother of your car, but it didn't come from Stockport. Mine had flexible service setup. Below picture taken 3 days after collection. Oil change went up to higher mileage over time.

6 days later it was showing 14700 miles and 527 days to next oil change. And at 5 months old it was 14300 miles and 521 miles

I think your car was setup incorrectly. Isn't there some combination to reset it? Date can be changed using OBD Eleven.

Attachments

• 20210323_211853.jpg
    20210323_211853.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

MattyD803

Mar 2, 2021
Looks like I had twin brother of your car, but it didn't come from Stockport. Mine had flexible service setup. Below picture taken 3 days after collection. Oil change went up to higher mileage over time.

6 days later it was showing 14700 miles and 527 days to next oil change. And at 5 months old it was 14300 miles and 521 miles

I think your car was setup incorrectly. Isn't there some combination to reset it? Date can be changed using OBD Eleven.
You certainly don't see many white ones around! Thankfully I have no had grounds to reject mine - it appears I may have got 'lucky'.....?

It definitely looks like they messed up at the PDI.......I might do some googling to see if I can find a way of doing it myself. I seem to recall reading about this being possible on the Golf 8 GTi via certain combination of button presses....which I can assume will be the same if not similar to the Formentor.....

raylee25

Jan 24, 2012
London
looks like you are not alone. mine say service in 16400miles or 651 days. The car is only 2 months old.

MattyD803

Mar 2, 2021
I’ve tried many different ways of trying to reset the service indicator as shown on you tube for Seats, Skodas and VWs, but no success thus far….which is strange. It’s like it wants to show the screen I need, but doesn’t quite open it. Does anyone have any ideas on whether this is a ‘thing’ on the formentor as it is on the Golf 8 and Octavia 4?

Last edited:

MattyD803

Mar 2, 2021
Just to update this, resetting of both the oil and inspection service indicators is VERY easy by just a couple of button presses, exactly as it is on all recent VAG products.

Turn car ignition on (do not start it). With the dash display in "classic" mode, scroll through the central screen until you get the picture of the car, (where the text saying "long press for configuration screen" is displayed at the bottom.). On this screen, hold down the scroll wheel for around 5-7 seconds and then release. You will then enter a 'hidden' menu, within which one option is for "service reset". Then chose which type of 'service' you wish to reset, then job done. I have only done the 'Oil Service' reset, and that gave me an additional 365 days/10000 miles.

This procedure obviously DOES NOT remove any obligation you have to service the car in accordance with the manufacturer's requirements, but for reference, the 310bhp models (EA888 engine) is filled from the factory with 'Longlife oil', and as such, the car should be set to Variable Servicing during PDI. By virtue of the type and quality of the oil it is filled with, these models (and I assume the others too) DO NOT require an oil change or indeed inspection until 20k miles/2 years, whatever comes first. (Please note, that this is variable and based on driving style, hence may reduce over time).

There we go - hope this is useful for someone, and will potentially save you £250/300 if like me, your supplying dealer PDI technician was an idiot.

Last edited:

Baldiesimo

Mar 16, 2021
Whilst I appreciate what your saying in a sense (I stick to all other rules & guidelines with my leases) but in this case, my service intervals appears to have been set wrong, as admitted by the Stockport service desk. (This is not remotely surprising as the car was also delivered with the wrong registration plate and damaged).

I service as and when the car tells me. Trying to avoid it is false economy. I like to keep my cars and have pride in them. I would gladly service every 12 months if required.

Baldiesimo

Mar 16, 2021
Just to update this, resetting of both the oil and inspection service indicators is VERY easy by just a couple of button presses, exactly as it is on all recent VAG products.

Turn car ignition on (do not start it). With the dash display in "classic" mode, scroll through the central screen until you get the picture of the car, (where the text saying "long press for configuration screen" is displayed at the bottom.). On this screen, hold down the scroll wheel for around 5-7 seconds and then release. You will then enter a 'hidden' menu, within which one option is for "service reset". Then chose which type of 'service' you wish to reset, then job done. I have only done the 'Oil Service' reset, and that gave me an additional 365 days/10000 miles.

This procedure obviously DOES NOT remove any obligation you have to service the car in accordance with the manufacturer's requirements, but for reference, the 310bhp models (EA888 engine) is filled from the factory with 'Longlife oil', and as such, the car should be set to Variable Servicing during PDI. By virtue of the type and quality of the oil it is filled with, these models (and I assume the others too) DO NOT require an oil change or indeed inspection until 20k miles/2 years, whatever comes first. (Please note, that this is variable and based on driving style, hence may reduce over time).

There we go - hope this is useful for someone, and will potentially save you £250/300 if like me, your supplying dealer PDI technician was an idiot.
I paid £199 for the service package which covers the first 2 services.

MattyD803

Mar 2, 2021
I service as and when the car tells me. Trying to avoid it is false economy. I like to keep my cars and have pride in them. I would gladly service every 12 months if required.
You’ve not read the whole thread have you? This is not a case of ‘skipping’ services….this is a case of not undertaking an additional unnecessary service which is only being asked for due to a mistake on the part of the dealer who supplied the car. (They have admitted this).

My personal vehicles are serviced annually, regardless of mileage (typically <4000mi) and I fully understand the importance of doing so, especially as cars age. However, doing an additional interim service on a brand new car I don’t own with only 5k on the clock, out of ‘pride’? Nope, it’ll get the basic service in accordance with the hand book.

Anyway, back to topic - it’s now reset. Hope that helps others.

Last edited:

MattyD803

Mar 2, 2021
I paid £199 for the service package which covers the first 2 services.
That’s great, well done, but I wasn’t offered that, so it is irrelevant and doesn’t change the situation. £199 is also far cheaper than what I have seen being discussed on the forums for such a pack - typically £249/299, and often not offered on lease cars.

I have been quoted £249 for the minor and £349 for the major by local dealer (Citygate Reading) - hopefully you will now understand why I’m not willing to double up unnecessarily.

Baldiesimo

Mar 16, 2021
You’ve not read the whole thread have you? This is not a case of ‘skipping’ services….this is a case of not undertaking an additional unnecessary service which is only being asked for due to a mistake on the part of the dealer who supplied the car. (They have admitted this).

My personal vehicles are serviced annually, regardless of mileage (typically <4000mi) and I fully understand the importance of doing so, especially as cars age. However, doing an additional interim service on a brand new car I don’t own with only 5k on the clock, out of ‘pride’? Nope, it’ll get the basic service in accordance with the hand book.

Anyway, back to topic - it’s now reset. Hope that helps others.
Exactly, so you contradict yourself. The car needs to be serviced. I'm glad I don't buy a car that anyone of you have previously owned.

Baldiesimo

Mar 16, 2021
That’s great, well done, but I wasn’t offered that, so it is irrelevant and doesn’t change the situation. £199 is also far cheaper than what I have seen being discussed on the forums for such a pack - typically £249/299, and often not offered on lease cars.

I have been quoted £249 for the minor and £349 for the major by local dealer (Citygate Reading) - hopefully you will now understand why I’m not willing to double up unnecessarily.
Crikey, your an unhappy edgy person. You asked for advice and then slag off people who give you answers you don't like 🤣🤣 strange man.

MattyD803

Mar 2, 2021
Exactly, so you contradict yourself. The car needs to be serviced. I'm glad I don't buy a car that anyone of you have previously owned.
I haven’t contradicted myself once. What you have done is read between the lines and have effectively started talking nonsense.

My other personally owned cars are older and have an annual service requirement, hence get serviced annually, regardless of mileage. Preventative maintenance is far more important as engines wear, and whilst I fully acknowledge and live by that rule on assets I own, it has nothing to do with my leases 2021 Formentor. Where is the contradiction please?

Please put forward your argument to me and the forum as to why I / others should service a low mileage ‘as new’ car at 14 months old / c.6k mileage, when not even the manufacturer requires you to do so? Please avoid any reference to “long term” ownership considerations, which I have already made clear is no applicable to me. I look forward to your sensible justification.

PS: Why wouldn’t you want to own a car that I have had previously? Would the “vehicle fully serviced by main dealer in accordance with manufacturer requirements” put you off?

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.