4 wheel drive, im 90% sure its possible now

Adam180

May 26, 2008
Northern Ireland
hello all,
for those who remember i had a thread a few months ago about trying to convert a 6k ibiza to 4wd, the main issues were the halidex/4motion principles and addapting it from a not so similer vehicle, eg, S3 or golf 4 motion,

however, for those who dont know. there is another option, a volkswagen golf mk2 syncro. its a 1.8 8v 4x4. but unlike its newer brothers it is 50/50 with no halidex controller

no, on this new imformation,
im guess, loosely, that a mk2 golf and mk2 ibiza are not a million miles away,

any1 care to throw in there two cents

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
main issues are you are gonna need some major floorplan modifications for a start, haldex is the least of your worries + throw in 'scene tax' on anything so much as mentioning G60 and it's going to be a very expensive conversion

lemonslap

In The Know
Mar 14, 2009
Kent
hello all,
for those who remember i had a thread a few months ago about trying to convert a 6k ibiza to 4wd, the main issues were the halidex/4motion principles and addapting it from a not so similer vehicle, eg, S3 or golf 4 motion,

however, for those who dont know. there is another option, a volkswagen golf mk2 syncro. its a 1.8 8v 4x4. but unlike its newer brothers it is 50/50 with no halidex controller

no, on this new imformation,
im guess, loosely, that a mk2 golf and mk2 ibiza are not a million miles away,

any1 care to throw in there two cents

I have put some thought into this and I feel a separate chassis is the only way to get the handling etc spot on then "drop" the body shell ontop of this. (In years to come I will do a project thread once the missus ibiza is knackered!)

Chrisdaman

1 gearbox dead, any more?
Mar 21, 2007
Kingston
www.flickr.com
i've considered Golf Rallye running gear / syncro / haldex conversion

you need to mod the exhaust tunnel, put a race cell in the car as the original fuel tank will need to be removed. It's a lot of work, the cost would be well into £2k, after parts and labour

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
Any type of 4x4 conversion is going to be alot of work and expense. On top of that the synchro rear diffs are no where near as strong as haldex for a start so I could see a 20vt putting alot of strain on it.

JB!

Toight loike a Toiger
hold on, if people can fit hadlex to mk2 sync's an rallye's, and you are suggesting sync'ing an Ibiza... surely you could hadlex it too if the sync bits fit?

a few places online did/do trick bits for the rear sync beam to take a hadlex diff...

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
hold on, if people can fit hadlex to mk2 sync's an rallye's.

an ibiza hasn't got the bolt in sync/rallye floorpan though for starters

said many times before about many suggestions that appear along these lines that I agree it's not impossible for sure but a case of TIME / MONEY / SKILL and what you lack in one will cost you in others

A) if you are ringing round asking for prices on a conversion then you have more money than sense and use it as you like and good luck to ya :)
B) if you are looking for a cheap bolt in conversion then keep looking
C) if you wanna strip ya car bare, cut half of it away, weld in an adapted floorpan and design/engineer/make a selection of untested custom unique parts then hell go for it :) i can't wait to see it but don't expect to drive it to work every day or finish it in 6 months

before you go anywhere near a/b/c just sit down relax and write down 3 good and 3 bad genuine reasons why you want/need to do it - then come back in an hour and see what you wrote and add it to the pile you write daily from now on

mine's a huge pile of drawings and doodles of twin bike engined arosa's / rwd toledo V8's /slammed+chopped alhambra's you name it it's there for when i win the lottery and get bored :p

Last edited:

BHP Addict

Back in a SEAT!!
Jan 31, 2006
Birmingham
Good

1) Only one in the UK? (cannot be 100% on this so please advise if incorrect)
2) Performance - Great to put the power down, but for the cost of it what other power/handling upgrades are available?

Bad

1) Cost - add the cost of doing it to the value of your car and see what other motors you can buy in the market?
2) Depending on which one of Fl@ppers options are chosen - Warranty? Untested parts? Cost of repair after if needed?
3) Practicality - Is your beeza a weekend/garaged 2nd car?

Basically it's cost isn't it. For a project (if the money is avail) why not try to get hold of a syncro and
1.8T it? This is another discussion all together tho

JB!

Toight loike a Toiger
an ibiza hasn't got the bolt in sync/rallye floorpan though for starters

said many times before about many suggestions that appear along these lines that I agree it's not impossible for sure but a case of TIME / MONEY / SKILL and what you lack in one will cost you in others

A) if you are ringing round asking for prices on a conversion then you have more money than sense and use it as you like and good luck to ya :)
B) if you are looking for a cheap bolt in conversion then keep looking
C) if you wanna strip ya car bare, cut half of it away, weld in an adapted floorpan and design/engineer/make a selection of untested custom unique parts then hell go for it :) i can't wait to see it but don't expect to drive it to work every day or finish it in 6 months

before you go anywhere near a/b/c just sit down relax and write down 3 good and 3 bad genuine reasons why you want/need to do it - then come back in an hour and see what you wrote and add it to the pile you write daily from now on

mine's a huge pile of drawings and doodles of twin bike engined arosa's / rwd toledo V8's /slammed+chopped alhambra's you name it it's there for when i win the lottery and get bored :p

oh yeah, i totally agree. however, i cant see the point in going sync, the only useful but would be the rear beam setup, and even that probably wont bolt straight on.

Good

1) Only one in the UK? (cannot be 100% on this so please advise if incorrect)
2) Performance - Great to put the power down, but for the cost of it what other power/handling upgrades are available?

Bad

1) Cost - add the cost of doing it to the value of your car and see what other motors you can buy in the market?
2) Depending on which one of Fl@ppers options are chosen - Warranty? Untested parts? Cost of repair after if needed?
3) Practicality - Is your beeza a weekend/garaged 2nd car?

Basically it's cost isn't it. For a project (if the money is avail) why not try to get hold of a syncro and
1.8T it? This is another discussion all together tho

haha, yep. altho for me the best combo would be rallye an r32 lump :love:

antnee

If you can weld, chop the floor pan out and weld in an adjusted 4wd floor pan (be it a mk2 syncro, mk4 hadlex, etc). Easiest way to do it, which I believe is how the ford boys roll when converting 1.3 fezza's to 4wd cossie powered!

bobak

Opinionated non-mechanic
May 15, 2008
you'll have to excuse me but surely... buy an S3. faster, more comfortable, similar engine so you can make that into a project. it just seems an insane amount of work and a waste of money trying to make your ibiza into... well, your choice. For the cost, i'd buy a new car.

prob not a popular opinion but hey

bobak

Opinionated non-mechanic
May 15, 2008
or... buy a Leon, i'd expect you could put 4motion or quattro into that easier no?

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
or... buy a Leon, i'd expect you could put 4motion or quattro into that easier no?

same issues sadly but once floor pan is in it the majority of the running would be at least boltable but still issues just less of them but closer to and even more reason to buy one 4x4 already or an S3

bobak

Opinionated non-mechanic
May 15, 2008
so ye... buy an s3. if you're talking about quotes for £20k, you could get a mk2 s3 with barely any miles on it too. matter of fact, give me the £20k, i'll buy it lol

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
a petrolhead lottery winners boredom is going to realise some VERY interesting cars i reckon :):)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.