4drive explanation please! (Formentor vs golf r vs s3)

St3n

Feb 15, 2017
Hi guys, i have finally ordered my 310 formentor, and just before i am getting it, i wanted to ask about the non-permanent 4drive. I don’t care about an off-road capabilities, just the track and stand acceleration. I saw that S3/golf r and formentor has the same haldex based 4x4 system with dsq381. On the other hand s3 and golf r has permanent 4drive while formentor has “on demand” 4drive.
Can you confirm/deny/explain please?

Zephyr

Just send it!
Dec 28, 2020
Madrid (SPAIN)
All those three cars have the same Haldex system. So all three have the same: Mainly FWD based cars but RWD engages when it detects wheel slip.

If you want a permanent 4 wheel drive, you need to go with an Audi with centre Torsen diff (or a Subi).

Reactions: jcbmally

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
New Golf 8 R has a different/newer Haldex to Formentor. Golf is able to send power to either of the rear wheels in addition to the front wheels. This allows for "drift mode" that they have. Formentor has Haldex like in Golf 7 R - it can either send to the rear wheels and front wheels, or just front wheels. It cannot choose which rear wheel it sends power to. As Zephyr said, all have the same non permanent 4WD and that is a good thing. By being able to run FWD most of the time, they do not have power and efficiency losses that 4WD brings to the table, but when traction is limited it can use the rear wheels as well.

I'm no Haldex expert but I viewed a bunch of reviews and someone mentioned this.

Reactions: Stonepope

St3n

Feb 15, 2017
All those three cars have the same Haldex system. So all three have the same: Mainly FWD based cars but RWD engages when it detects wheel slip.

If you want a permanent 4 wheel drive, you need to go with an Audi with centre Torsen diff (or a Subi).
So You want to say that S3 doesn't have constant 4drive? Are You certain about it?

Zephyr

Just send it!
Dec 28, 2020
Madrid (SPAIN)
So You want to say that S3 doesn't have constant 4drive? Are You certain about it?
Look:

I enclose here the rear group of the three cars Audi S3, Golf 7.5 and Formentor. Check it out for yourself. Doesn't matter if the car sports a 'Quattro', 4Motion or 4Drive. Is the same system with different name.

Unique 'real' Quattro systems are the ones that sport a Torsen center diff. None of those three has.

Attachments

• SeatFormentor2021-RearGrp.png
    SeatFormentor2021-RearGrp.png
    52.3 KB · Views: 501
  • GolfMk7.52020-RearGrp.png
    GolfMk7.52020-RearGrp.png
    52.8 KB · Views: 480
  • AudiS32021-RearGrp.png
    AudiS32021-RearGrp.png
    51.2 KB · Views: 485

Zephyr

Just send it!
Dec 28, 2020
Madrid (SPAIN)
If really interested on having a grasp on how they work haldex systems (and no matter how they call it), check it out:

Maybe there are more and more actual but with those three you can start knowing them...

Reactions: jcbmally

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Hi guys, i have finally ordered my 310 formentor, and just before i am getting it, i wanted to ask about the non-permanent 4drive. I don’t care about an off-road capabilities, just the track and stand acceleration. I saw that S3/golf r and formentor has the same haldex based 4x4 system with dsq381. On the other hand s3 and golf r has permanent 4drive while formentor has “on demand” 4drive.
Can you confirm/deny/explain please?
As @Zephyr states Golf/Audi/Cupra are all the same unless you get a say a Q5 with Torsen set up.

The 4Drive models utilise an electro-hydraulic multi-disc traction system that analyses road conditions in real time delivering power to the wheels with the most traction. Torque can even be controlled across the axle thanks to the EDS electronic aid, which locks the slipping wheel, meaning no transversal torque is lost. The system is integrated into the rear axle and sits at the end of the drive shaft in front of the rear differential, improving weight distribution and reducing inertia and reaction time.

Reactions: Zephyr

Zephyr

Just send it!
Dec 28, 2020
Madrid (SPAIN)
Found some information about 'real' Quattro systems. Take a look:

deveh

Dec 5, 2021
Lithuania
All this marketing crap. Question about front and rear axles - do they have open diff and use that crappy braking on the spinning wheel, or like (e)LSD on front and open on back?