55 reg leon 1.6 s -some advice /info please

20v roper

Dec 15, 2006
hi all, im not sure this is in the right section, basically a good friend of mine is looking at a 55 reg leon 1.6 s this weekend on behalf of a family member, i suggested a leon as a good secondhand purchase, they dont require a cupra or anything like that, i dont know much about the 1.6 s model, so does anyone have any info or advice on these please? the things to look out for when looking to buy one of these leons? i suggested it should offer good value for money and have a good level of equipment, any help will be greatly appreciated, many thanks all.

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
To be fair mate, having just agreed part-ex for my leon 1.6 S, i would just be listening for the usual knocks and bangs. Even then its only bush replacement, possibly bearings.

Do all the usual checks, accident damage, HPI etc.

And then just make sure that 'the drive' feels normal, no strange noises or feelings etc.

Then its just down to the nitty gritty and talking numbers!

Jimski

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
No worries, need anything else just ask away. Its not always about doing the deal in a day either, come away knowing what you need to know, have a good think etc.

When you go back, ask for a second drive, haggle, its the future!

Jimski

20v roper

Dec 15, 2006
thanks, what are they like to drive mate? in general are the engines and mechanicals quite good?

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
I drive the 1.6. Engines are fairly bulletproof, some early gearboxes had problems at around 40,000 miles.

A 55 reg is one of the last Mk1's to be manufactured. They should all be fairly mint at that age.

I'd recommend the SX model since you get Climate Control.

Nice car to drive - almost silent when you start it up, although a bit of road noise at motorway speeds.

20v roper

Dec 15, 2006
hi there, no i haven't , its my mate who is just asking me for some advice really, its for his in-laws the car! i dont think they are going to bother with it after all, they thought it was a bit steep at 4.5k? thanks for your help though, much appreciated.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members