58.3mpg no word of a lie

sssstew

Editing your spelling
Just brimmed the car, and the wife drove it down to Southampton (125 miles for us) then i did some driving around the new forest then did a fast run home (80 or so) to get back and see 58.3 overall, thats 300 miles in total so about half my usual tank. At one point after the run down to Southampton it showed 59.8.

Im sure it was the weather which helped this one, the weekend was 22-29 degrees C, and overall the car wasnt driven hard as there was three of us in it and luggage.

Ive taken a deposit on my car now, so am very very sad to see it go soon :(

StuPDi

old guy
Mar 30, 2007
Gillingham Kent
wow, that's a cool return :)

don't think i've averaged much over 52, not even on a run!!

However, i did average 38mpg over 3500miles in canada last year, up and down mountains, and cruising at a steady 62mph !!!! In a Ford explorer 5.0 V8 petrol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stu

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
enjoy the new motor.

i get average 53 on drive home after work, and would love 58.
will try on run to devon this friday, but tend to sit at 80 as then i'm not running but also not walking either

T. Spark

Thats pretty funky! I can see 50mpg+ if I drive nice all the time. Managed 62mpg once with the ex in the car going down to the coast, all twisties...

Ive done 460 miles on my current tank, and got 1/4 of it left :D

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
I got 61.3mpg on the motorway drive from Bradford to Warrington once. During rush hour so was trundelling along at between 60 and 80mph all the way.

I saw it was at 55mpg and my previous best was 56.6mpg so thought I'd try beat it, didn't expect such a great result though!

Having said that, I rarely see over 35mpg on the 3 mile trip to work when it's cold and stop start constantly.

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
so i should be happy with 59-60 this afternoon then?sat at B0 MPH on an empty M69 today with the cruise on.
i promised myself i would never do this when i bought a diesel. :(

strugers1

i hit 66mpg up to jabba to get my clutch fitted i got there and back when the needle just moved off of full!! i drove at 55-65 mph though

strugers1

and drove up to santa pod up and down the strip from 9 am to 3pm and drove home and still did 47mpg was well happy but can still only do 450 to a tank

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
My parents got an AVERAGE of 62.8mpg in their 08 plate Ibiza at the weekend. I got 61.6 average in my car ONCE.

I went up to visit family in North Lincs earlier this year - 250 mile trip from where i live to their. I travelled none stop - 90% of it on the motorway and got:

DSC00443.jpg

I vented the tank before i left my house in Somerset and got to north lincolnshire with the needle moving this much (look at needle gauge and the odometer reading on the speedometer - it was reset when i filled up):

DSC00445.jpg

DSC00444.jpg

DSC00446.jpg

And the day I left - i decided to fill up because it was much cheaper up there - but this is how much fuel i had left after doing 417 miles (see odometer again):

DSC00457.jpg

Beat that T.Spark. ;)

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
And the day I left - i decided to fill up because it was much cheaper up there - but this is how much fuel i had left after doing 417 miles (see odometer again):

Beat that T.Spark. ;)

Fuel guages are not exactly reliable (and yours seems excessively so)

The only way for a true reading is the old fashioned fill it up again and work it out.

Either that or your Beeza can do in excess of 800 miles on a tank? (417 miles with in excess of half a tank left)

Nah. Sorry mate. :blink:

T. Spark

I believe it, if you really really brimmed it, aka put around 53 litre's in the 45 litre tank, and then drove perfectly, just serviced and correct tyres pressures etc etc.

Good going that, when I was driving into Germany from Prague I filled it, alot... did alot like you, 200+ miles and my needle just moved! However, id imagine like mine, once it started to move it dropped to a half straight away.. thats what mine does!

Ragged it round T' Ring on the same tank of fuel I filled up with in Prague :D

Got me to France from memory :D

Oh and Ibiza 130 TDi - I get 500+ miles from a very highly fuelled remap ;)

Race on ;)

strugers1

i think they are reliable ish i mean when i put 65 pound in my car when the prices were low lol i could do 160 miles before the needle even moved from the full mark so the 15 pound of fuel that is in the tube before the tank gives that extra bit of mileage

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions

Race on ;)

Some way short of the 'in excess' of 800 miles indirectly suggested.

I get 500+ miles on my stage 2 LC - the map has made it more economical.

800+ miles on a 45 litre tank - still not convinced :no:

Based on 53 litres and run dry, to even hit 800 miles (and not exceed it) he would have to achieve 68.61mpg

Last edited:

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
Got 57mpg on a gentle trip to Bristol on sunday night. 90 miles, cruise at 70 on motorway.

Not bad for VT5 turbo, race nozzles, no propane, supermarket diesel, need for a retune. :D

StuPDi

old guy
Mar 30, 2007
Gillingham Kent
Some way short of the 'in excess' of 800 miles indirectly suggested.

I get 500+ miles on my stage 2 LC - the map has made it more economical.

800+ miles on a 45 litre tank - still not convinced :no:

Based on 53 litres and run dry, to even hit 800 miles (and not exceed it) he would have to achieve 68.61mpg

i used to get 800miles from a tank, but that was 75litres!!

i agree with the notion of "staged" fuel guages, mine in the A4 takes a lifetime to move, ages to get to half, then drops to empty quicker than a bungee jumper

normally get 550-600 out of my 60litres, but that's an average of town/motorway/and a little bit of fun off the lights and off roundabouts!!!

Stu

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
Fuel guages are not exactly reliable (and yours seems excessively so)

The only way for a true reading is the old fashioned fill it up again and work it out.

Either that or your Beeza can do in excess of 800 miles on a tank? (417 miles with in excess of half a tank left)

Nah. Sorry mate. :blink:

Well I did vent the tank. Got an extra 10 - 15 litres in I think which makes all the difference. I'll put it to you this way - the tank was on 1/4. I filled it up with £30. Took it to between 3/4 and full. When I went to fill it up to vent it - it was on 3/4 tank and i got £30 of fuel in again.

I believe it, if you really really brimmed it, aka put around 53 litre's in the 45 litre tank, and then drove perfectly, just serviced and correct tyres pressures etc etc.

Good going that, when I was driving into Germany from Prague I filled it, alot... did alot like you, 200+ miles and my needle just moved! However, id imagine like mine, once it started to move it dropped to a half straight away.. thats what mine does!

Ragged it round T' Ring on the same tank of fuel I filled up with in Prague :D

Got me to France from memory :D

Race on ;)

:D My needle seems to move nice and steady. When the fuel light comes on it seems to drop pretty quick! :lol:

But I was driving nice and gentle on that tank. And it was BP ultimate.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise