58.3mpg no word of a lie

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
I used to get 200 miles and some before the needle moved in my leon, but that was with a vented tank which i have squeezed 59.8 litres into when i ran it quite low once.
600 miles was easy to get from it, and if i had a few motorway cruises at 70mph i could get 680 before getting twitchy and filling back up.
But that was a car with less than 40K on the clock and well maintaned with a remap using the same fuel over all those miles and millers additives. I like to think that some of that contributed with the use of cruise control wherever possible :)

Trumpetman21

Fully Membered
Jan 17, 2006
Manchester
He he he, doesn't take much to turn us into a nation of misers does it?

We should have a 'Highest TDI Trip MPG' thread with picture evidence required - winner could get an empty wallet complete with a couple of moths buzzing around it as a prize....

Space-Black

Jun 16, 2008
Northants
I'd be impressed if you can do this on a tank - fill to fill.

I can get this sort of av on the right road at the right speed with the wind behind you.

The tank figure's the one that matters.

To be honest the roads round here are mainly stuck at a 40mph, esp on my way to and from work, so this kind of figures not unusual for me. Especially as these days I don't tend to make uneccessary journeys due to fuel costs. Be impressed or not :shrug:, I certainly am with the diesel, especially after going from a so-called economic petrol car.

milestogo

Just travelled 323 miles dowm M74/M6 and computer says average of 60.3mpg

depresion

Dec 14, 2005
Took my dad's FR to Le Mans and averaged over 63 all the way down and back with plenty of 130kph speeds followed by some time in villages. I only managed 63 on my commute out yesterday and 49.8 on the return leg in my FR, but there are a lot of people about over here crawling along thinking it will save them a bit on fuel.

Phil_beeza

May 15, 2007
if i absolutely granny it round i can get 50 mpg average from a local bun run....not too bad. :)

EliGiBB

my best was when I helped my brother move. I was at the back of the convoy of a 7 1/2 tonner, a transit and another car. Doing 55-60mph the whole way I managed to get 65mpg(ish) and did the 630 round trip on one tank but the needle was so into the red i swear i was running on fumes at the end.

Unfortunatly i only normaly get 55mpg though.

Phil_beeza

May 15, 2007
on a 2 hour motorway journey, mostly under 70, i got this

23062008004.jpg

Happy 'nuff with. :)

TornadoRed

Aug 22, 2004
Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA
We should have a 'Highest TDI Trip MPG' thread with picture evidence required - winner could get an empty wallet complete with a couple of moths buzzing around it as a prize....
Over at TDI Club, we have monthly fuel economy contests. Okay, not really contests, there's no real competition between members, just each person is out to achieve personal bests.

Some of the members report numbers that are surprisingly high. Remember, our gallons are only 83.3% the volume of your Imperial gallons. 50 mpg in the US or Canada is the same as 60 miles per Imperial gallon.

www.tdiclub.com

Unless your tanks are completely different, the maximum volume with venting is about 64 liters.

shirudell

Alhambra, Leon & Arosa!
Dec 28, 2001
Norfolk
www.cognizant.co.uk
Best MPG Ever!

Currently my CAT is drooping off the bottom of my TDi, and sounding like a tractor, I have been driving very gently, accelerating sowly up to the speed limits and over the last two tanks I have averaged 66.9 MPG! That's just under 700 miles on a full tank! On a daily run I can get a trip average of 74.9 mpg! I am not going to be chaning my car just yet I think. GOing to get the CAT replaced with a staight pipe to keep the back pressure reduced.

depresion

Dec 14, 2005
I spotted 7.4 on the trip computer yesterday, no the decimal isn't in the wrong place.

dave99

Jul 14, 2002
Manchester
Visit site
I try to get over 70mpg on my 35 mile trip to work - on the trip computer anyway. I need to stay around 70mph to get this though, and use all the smooth driving techniques.

In reality I dont think I actually get that amount but not done the manual calculations. I have certainly noticed I can get an extra 80 miles out of a tank by driving smoother/slower - and it seems a lot of people are doing the same on the motorways these days.

Fergal84

Aug 23, 2007
I had to take my grilfriend to Manchester Airport from York last week and managed 60.5 mpg there and back (leon mk1 fr) have got inbetween a 1/4 and 1/2 of a tank left now and am on about 480 miles, with the predictor saying i've got another 150 ish left, so thats probably about 50 :lol: