5W/30 oil in a Leon Cupra ?

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Hello,

Just went into ASDA for some magnatec 10W/40. They only had either "10W/40 Diesel" or "5W/30 Petrol", so i was wondering if the 5W/30 would be okay for the Leon Cupra (52 reg) ?. Fairly clueless about oils other than the fact that i was recommended 10W/40 Magnatec by the SEAT dealer.

Would 5W/30 be okay, or wouldn't it matter too much ? - (is it better or worse than 10W/40 oil for a Leon Cupra ?).

They have a 2 litre bottle for £12, which seemed fairly reasonable.

Cheers,
Andy

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
Its the right grade but I think the one youve seen might only be part synthetic and should use fully synthetic VW 50?.?? rated oil like the Castrol edge stuff. Check the castrol site out for whats recommended for yours and i think on ebay you can get 6x1L bottles very cheap.

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
look in gsf mate, fuchs fully synthetic for the seat leon £16 plus vat for 4 litres

thats what i use and it is a very good oil....

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
Chris why would you say Mobile 1 is better than Castrol Edge, im not debating you opinions just purely interested. I think i also remember hearing that Comma Oils also supply the Halfords own brand stuff and they've released a new 5w/30 504.00 VAG oil, might be worth trying/might not.

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Cheers all, so i take it the 5W/30 is not going to be good for the car ?. I'll stick to the 10W/40 if that's the case as that's what i've used from day one.

Best Regards,
Andy

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
5w 30 will be okay for the car, but its a lot thinner and wont last as long as say 10w40...

for everyday usage, not track or racing then i wouldnt use 5w30, seriously check out gsf website and type in oil, or goto fuchs website

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Chris why would you say Mobile 1 is better than Castrol Edge, im not debating you opinions just purely interested. I think i also remember hearing that Comma Oils also supply the Halfords own brand stuff and they've released a new 5w/30 504.00 VAG oil, might be worth trying/might not.

Castrol Edge test results are very very similar to Millers products.

Mobil 1 products are the best money can buy in terms of RAW test results, and lets face it if F1 cars use Mobil 1 oils then they must be good :)

As andycupra says costco are selling it at half the price, if you can get it for that price get loads of the stuff :)

Last edited:

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
5w 30 will be okay for the car, but its a lot thinner and wont last as long as say 10w40...

It doesnt quite work like that mate. A 5/30 with a high TBN (total base number) will outlast a 10/40 with a lower TBN. The amount of base reserve to neutralise the acids created by the combustion process.

VW504.00 is a 5/30 grade. So VAG recommend a 5/30 for the Cupra. As winter is coming up a 5/30 will be perfect (as long as you are not using serious HP in red hot weather)

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
What are these numbers ? (pardon my ignorance !!)

Andy

Engine manufactorers design engines to run on certain specification engine oils. So they give oils meeting/exceeding that spec a name. In VAG's case they called them VW50x.xx

So if your engine calls for a VW504.00 for example then you need to look for a oil with some reference to VW504.00 on the bottle/label.

However, most (not all) engine oils are backwards compatible. So a engine oil made to VW507.00 will actualy also meet VW504.00. This is where consumers still have some choice as what to buy. Most of the later engine oils are designed for extended use, obviusoly to try save the planet from using so much oil. However there is alot of debate as to the effects of running an engine on the same oil for 20k/2yrs - experts say this is not good practise but goverment figures say it is good as it will save the crude oil stocks....

Let you deciede who you believe ;)

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Ah all the confliction !, i'm still not sure whether to get the 5W/30 or just go get the 10W/40 as some are saying don't use 5/30 and some say it's okay. Suppose it's a matter of opinion really. Think i might just play safe and go for the stuff i've always used (Magnatec 10W/40). I mean there's loads of "fully synthetic" on the shelf by shops own brands (Asda for one), but i wouldn't risk putting it into the Cupra !

Cheers!
Andy

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Ah all the confliction !, i'm still not sure whether to get the 5W/30 or just go get the 10W/40 as some are saying don't use 5/30 and some say it's okay. Suppose it's a matter of opinion really. Think i might just play safe and go for the stuff i've always used (Magnatec 10W/40). I mean there's loads of "fully synthetic" on the shelf by shops own brands (Asda for one), but i wouldn't risk putting it into the Cupra !

Cheers!
Andy

Who says don't use a 5/30? The engine in question was designed to run on 5/30 :shrug:

The PD diesel engines run on 10/40, because of the bigger bang.

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
I'd listen to what Chris has to say. He is our resident oils expert.
Glad Andy mentioned Costco first as I would get banned if I plugged them again.
I ended up with 12 litres of Castrol Edge for £44. Should see me right for a bit :D

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Ah right, so the 5W/30 magnatec shouldn't do any harm at all then ?.

It was just with James saying he wouldn't use 5W30 (in Post 9).

The 5W/30 just seemed a fairly decent price (2litres for £12), because the 10W40 was £8 for a litre.

And the fact that the 5W/30 was the only one they had in, so just basically wondered if it would be fine to use.

Cheers,
Andy

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Engine manufactorers design engines to run on certain specification engine oils. So they give oils meeting/exceeding that spec a name. In VAG's case they called them VW50x.xx

So if your engine calls for a VW504.00 for example then you need to look for a oil with some reference to VW504.00 on the bottle/label.

However, most (not all) engine oils are backwards compatible. So a engine oil made to VW507.00 will actualy also meet VW504.00. This is where consumers still have some choice as what to buy. Most of the later engine oils are designed for extended use, obviusoly to try save the planet from using so much oil. However there is alot of debate as to the effects of running an engine on the same oil for 20k/2yrs - experts say this is not good practise but goverment figures say it is good as it will save the crude oil stocks....

Let you deciede who you believe ;)

I've looked in the handbook for the Leon Cupra and cannot find any reference to 50x.xx numbers (in the specs bit) ? - does anyone know off hand what my car would be ? - It's a 52 reg Leon Cupra 1.8 20VT 180bhp, and the Oil is Castrol Magnatec 5W/30.

It also says (from their site):
NOTE: 5W-30 oil is only suitable for cars that can use an ACEA A1/B1 fuel efficient product. Please consult the vehicle handbook to confirm the oils suitability

Approvals & Specifications
API SL
ILSAC GF-3
ACEA A1/B1
Meets Ford WSS-M2C913
WSS-M2C913-B
*data based on 5W grades vs a 15W-40 in Industry approved test

Many Thanks,
Andy

Last edited:

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
No the oil specs are usually on the bottle. I'm not sure Asda's own would be so specific. I don't think i'd use it in my LCR. As for mixing 5w 30w and some of the 10w 40w you have in. I'm not sure. I'll let Chris answer that.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.