6x9 wiring, and stealth shelf how to mount speakers???

Hey folks;

So after nearly a month of waiting my stealth shelf arrived Friday.

I bought a set of 6x9's as I just wanted the 'easy' option of half decent sound without amps/subs etc as I wanted boot space.

Well, I hadn't bothered to check unfortunately, but the rear speakers on the MK4 Ibiza are not in the rear pockets by the looks of it! They are at the sides of the rear seats?!(In the door card things) (3dr)

Either im wrong, and i've missed the other rear speakers, or im gonna have a nightmare trying to take them off to use the wires for the 6x9's.

Have I missed something?

Also

2) My shelf arrived, but I have no idea whether you are supposed to fix the carpet first, or the speakers first? Are the 6x9's mounted from UNDERNEATH or do they 'slot through' and the top stays on the top of the shelf? (would make it not completely flat for carpet to lay over... But the other method would also possibly sag the carpet...?

Many thanks in advance, I am about to sell the lot and just go to an audio shop to have stuff fitted!

bobthecod

Sep 23, 2007
well i had a fiesta n made a stealth shelf myself out of the original and mounted them from the bottom if you put them in from the top your goin to find when u put the carpet over the movement in the speaker will hit the carpet.. and yes the rear speakers are in the sides and no other places.. panels in the rear will have to come out n wire it from them..

Hi mate,

Do you know if they are a connector block on the standard rears? Or just normal bullet/spade connectors?

My local ICE shop said they'd do it and run new wires from the 6x9's to the front radio instead of using the existing speaker wire, and to fit the shelf / carpet for £60?

bobthecod

Sep 23, 2007
well the fronts that i replaced on mine are connector block so chances are its the same on the back.. n 60 quid ain't bad but i'd rather save 60 quid n do it my self.. lol

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
The speakers all round on these have connector blocks. the rear 1/4 pannels are simple to take off, my main tip is watch the tweeter in the back as mine has very little wire to play with

skott101

Apr 4, 2007
Manchester
Unless you have some amazing headunit which i don't know exists, your headunit won't have enough power to drive a pair of 6*9's. You NEED an amp to drive them otherwise they will pop and fart and you'll be amazingly disappointed with the results. Even if you get a cheap amp.. it will still sound better than what you're planning.

Would I be better using something like;

INFINITY BASSLINK 10" ACTIVE SUBWOOFER 200W

Combined with the OE speakers? Would that sound better than using 6x9's?

What size are the rear door speakers and front speakers? 6.5"?

Ok, I was thinking of the following;

Say that Infinity, or a Pioneer 10" active sub (I need bootspace, could maybe mount these under the seat? Will that fit? Or would it stop seat moving?)

Maybe change the front's to a set of Infinity 6.5" comps?

Would that all be worth it? Or is it better change the whole lot?

Im gonna have to sell my stealth shelf and 6x9's that I bought and just end up doing this I think.

Ok, in what can only be known as a bizarre thing to do, at 245pm I decided I would go outside and attempt to fit the 6x9's instead of giving up.

I sat in the boot and the back seat pulling panels off and feeding wires through.

I've just finished the install now, having to drill speaker holes in the stealth shelf was difficult when I had 1 broken drill bit only to use lol!

Not the best idea, considering it went dark at about 4pm! And I was working with a torch! But if it works... It's worth it!

RichieRich

Mk4 Golf GT TDi
Sep 17, 2005
Oxfordshire :)
www.bebo.com
Its not very easy to work under torch light had to many times! working with a broken drill bit sounds intresting to! glad u got it all working mate i dont mind my oem set up at mo! my jl install kept giving me headaches! u got any pics mate?

Hi mate!

Yea, combined with the weather at the moment, I was starting to think I was mad to even think of clambering around wiring things up! Let alone start it at near 3pm!!!

I have just this picture, of the stealth shelf;

DSC00004.jpg

I havent bothered putting the carpet on properly yet, I can do that anytime, I just layed it across the shelf for now in the car!

The OE install is really good! It's just a shame it can't handle any sort of bass really, I guess it all depends on music listened to, I listened to a few foo fighters and other rock style tracks, and it was fine.

However, with club music and rnb it's just a bit thin and tinny.

I disconnected the original speaker connectors in the rear and instead of taking the connector off, I just tapped into the wires, which means I can always put it back to standard if needed!

BigFish

Hey guys,
Just a quick and probably stupid question.... how much space is there behind the rear door card (3 door)? reckon with a bit of jiggery pokery & MDF i could fit sum 6x9s behind there nice n sly behind the grilles? was thinkin of gettin some 6.5" infinity comps but i got the 6x9s already from me old car n wanna try n reuse them....
many thanks
bigfish

BigFish

luvlee... cheers... hate the idea of carving up me parcel shelf.... n dont really wanna shell out another £70 for 6.5" comps... plus if i dont re-use the 6x9s the mrs will want em for free! :D
cheers
bigfish

Aimez

I my do the same one day as my rear speaker are all amped upready to go, not done by me though done by local car audio place.
If you do it put up some pics etc, I don't want to waste my Kicker 6x9 but don't want to wreck my shelf like i did in the fiesta either!

BigFish

mmn... thats the only prob.... i reallllllly cant be arsed to start messin round runnin amp wires everywhere...

prolly just be able to get away with 4 6.5" comps off a decent headunit (with help from a bit of dynamat)... reckon 2 comps n 2 6x9s might be pushin it abit...

i gunna have a bit of an experiment when i got the door cards off, dont really want a blazin sound system anymore... just want it to sound good... must be gettin old :D

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise