6x9 wiring, and stealth shelf how to mount speakers???

Aimez

can't find the pics of the person who did it before it was ages ago now. I have replaced the headunit and front speakers already and have a separate amp powereing my sub it does sound a hell of a lot better, why don't you just amp the front speakers and see how you like it?

RichieRich

Mk4 Golf GT TDi
Sep 17, 2005
Oxfordshire :)
www.bebo.com
I only have my front door speakers working amp'ed of course... with my sub, i unwired my rear speakers altogether... but then id have to fork out about £300 extra quid to put in the rears at the same standard as the rest, all JL audio you see.. the 6.5 comps was £220 alone :(

BigFish

mmn... i know an amp would make it sound much better, but its jus extra hassle n expense, had a sub in my old car aswell but to be honest cant be arsed to give up boot space n trail even more wires under the sills jus for a bit of extra bass... ive already got some infinty 6.5" coaxials... think i jus gunna see how they sound un-amped with a new head unit before considering an amp... like i sed before i ent really interested in a massive sound system anymore... just want it to sound a bit better than the factory equipment (which although it gets slated alot, sounds better than any other OE system in other cars ive owned)

RichieRich

Mk4 Golf GT TDi
Sep 17, 2005
Oxfordshire :)
www.bebo.com
i wasnt saying it would sound better or a sub to waste space but if you have the two there's no point in rear speakers as You sit in the front so i would't worry about the rears that could put a dent in ur pocket for something that u wouldt really notice but if u have a pritty much a oem set up then yeah deffinally put in rear speakers :)

BigFish

gud plan... reckon i mite try the fronts unamped and see if i can get away with jus usin OE rears jus with the fader heavily biased towards the front... i spose everyone has different tastes n price limitations... only real way to find out is to experement... not holdin me breath on the rear OEs tho:D

BigFish

jus fitted 6x9s in the rear trim panel, like in that post... took forever, worth it tho... sounds good and looks like ure cars still standard... not for the impatient tho...

BigFish

didnt bother takin pics cus the bloke who did the original post did a neater job than me and i found his pics were helpful enough... i used 12mm mdf to make my brackets cus i thort it would resonate less when the speakers were kickin.... only problem i had was tryin to attatch a flat ridgid piece of mdf to the contour of the frame of the internal bodywork...
i started out with a square of mdf 13" x 11" and just kept trimming bits off the edges until it fitted and could be secured relativly securely with long M4 nuts and bolts... the hard part is gettin ure bracket right.. once u got that sorted its a piece of cake... ure best bet is to look at the original thread cus his picture explains it alot better than i can.... its a complete pain in the ass... but well worth the effort...

BigFish

i'd recommend doin it if ure plannin on havin 6x9s... much neater and practical that havin em in parcel shelf, also means u still have nice speakers when u got the back seats down and parcel shelf out, like if u go campin in newquay etc...

only thing i will say is see how much it is to get ure local ICE shop to do it... i would hav gladly paid someone £50 so i didnt have the hassle of doin it myself, took up a sizeable chunk of my weekend...

Aimez

hmm maybe I'll take it back to the place that installed the rest of the ICE for me they were good, they have connected the rear up ready to be amped. Will see what happens. I'f I get bored in the Summer I may want to do it myself.

BigFish

has any one stuck a sub in there as i need my boot? wonder wot it wud sound like?

i thort the same myself when i saw how much space was available behind trim panels... reckon u could quite easily fit 8"sub in there (dunno how much any backseat passengers would love it tho... :D )

only other problem you may have other than the enclosure richerich mentioned would be the plastic trim panel vibrating when the sub kicks... once uve levered it off n then smacked it back on its not quite as tight as when it left the factory, ud be needing plenty of dynamat...

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise