8v or 16v - I think I have been had

Musty Pie

Feb 25, 2010
Herts
Yeah not to keen on that one either, Ive decided to bite the bullet, badgered the guy down in price Getting a tank of fuel and am sticking with the 8v for the sum of 1k. Its MOT until October this year so thats peace of mind too.

There are a few reasons for this choice (although many of you guys im sure you will all not agree with them, being mega speed freaks!) But I don't drive THAT fast, previous car being a pretty slow Mk2 golf driver 1.6 and my work van being a corsa combi van 1.8 DI

It looked fairly tidy (not a massive car fundie myself so I suppose there are bits that I don't know about) but body work was in VERY good nic, and interior was mint. it started easliy with no issues at all and idled with no problems at the 1000 mark. The gears where selectable easily (especially 1 and reverse) And everything else i looked over seemed to be fine.

Electrical Issues I did find where as follows: passenger side electric window not functional, and drivers side lock needs a little look at (possible pin issue?)

Will get some pics up after I collect it.

The other main reason is the insurance. its a fair bit cheaper for the 8v then the 16v for me (22 year old male). Only had licence just over 1 year, with less then 1 years no claims under my own policy.

Although after reading the "You know you have a mk2 when ... " thread, im worried this car is going to cost me an arm and a leg, Oh well fingers crossed.

beezertart

**MAYHEM**
Sep 11, 2007
beyond the sun
8v's are all good,don't be fooled by the snobs with the 16's ;)

window regs are a given,if you don't have that fault,it can't be an ibiza you're getting! :D enjoy and get some piccies up asap!

Musty Pie

Feb 25, 2010
Herts
Ha ha thanks mate, I'm hoping that the 8vs are a little more reliable then the 16's but hey ho anything can be a sack of spanners i guess?

Will get some pics up tomorrow night hopefully (going to collect tomorrow afternoon)

Just hoping no majors go wrong anytime soon like pedal box/gear box or clutch etc. Could not Do with having to sort/spend out on those things anytime soon. I suppose time will tell.

Passenger window a hard fix then? Wouldn't mind tackling something like that myself, but engine work i usually leave to the people in the know!

I could post the reg of the one im getting? I'm sure someone on here would know its previous owner?

Musty Pie

Feb 25, 2010
Herts
HA thanks Kezz, Took me a while to settle for it but i think i will be plenty happy with the 8v.

managed to get him down a fair bit in price, and bartered a free tank of fuel, i just hope it doesn't die on me anytime soon .... hmmm first car ive really bought myself thats cost me something.
I know i should have avoided that thread ... LOL

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
Although after reading the "You know you have a mk2 when ... " thread, im worried this car is going to cost me an arm and a leg, Oh well fingers crossed.

That thread is mainly tongue-and-cheek.

8v's are all good,don't be fooled by the snobs with the 16's ;)

window regs are a given,if you don't have that fault,it can't be an ibiza you're getting! :D enjoy and get some piccies up asap!

Yep tell me about it, mine was great for 2 weeks but now I have the coolant sensor/thermostat issue.

Just hoping no majors go wrong anytime soon like pedal box/gear box or clutch etc. Could not Do with having to sort/spend out on those things anytime soon. I suppose time will tell.

If you have any worries about the pedal box then change the clutch and cable. As both of these wear and get older it puts extra stress on the box.

Although the pedal box isnt that bad to change. Changed mine in my 1.4. Its more akward/fiddly than difficult.

vngtx

ive spotted 2 kiwi 8vs listed as 16vs, one has 18'' black wheels and twin exhausts, the other is that one.

Musty Pie

Feb 25, 2010
Herts
Thanks for the replies guys. Im more excited then nervous now picking it up tomorrow. Will get some pics up when I can.

Pander

Jan 22, 2010
Corby.
www.facebook.com
you wont be dissapointed mate, the low down power is quality. and as for speed theres a video on tube of an 8v and a 16v goin down santa pod and theres not much in it at all

Musty Pie

Feb 25, 2010
Herts
Leaving in just under 1/2 to travel to collect it then i get to drive it back, hope it doesnt break down on the way back or ill be hella annoyed!

Musty Pie

Feb 25, 2010
Herts
After reading the other thread its hard to think possotive! will certainly update later on tonight!

wish me luck boys!

ather`s

EXEO Sport & mk2 IBIZA
Sep 7, 2008
mansfield, notts
well go on then,you must have it by now, tell us all what you think? if its been looked after then its going to be a good un! think positive, instead of thinking the glass being half empty all the time, start thinking its half full for a change. look after it and it will look after you! ;)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise