a couple of turbo Q's

tashacupra

Next up "twin scroll"
Jul 26, 2007
suffolk
hi all, just going back to the subject of wastegates if you dont mind, i've seen at least two 1.8 t car's at santa pod this year both running garrett gt28's or similar, both were internal wastegate but on both the actuator had been removed and replaced with a solid rod sealing the internal wastegate, then a external gate had been fitted. anyway what i was woundering is, is there anything to be gained from this or is it a pointless expensive waste of time?

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
It will hold boost better,obviously best to go external wastegate in the first place.

tashacupra

Next up "twin scroll"
Jul 26, 2007
suffolk
i'm not to sure on the reason behind them doing this, i think one was having trouble with a restrictive downpipe hindering performance of the internal gate, and i guess they wanted the spool of a small ish turbo with the benefits of and external gate, but who know's. i've also seen some of the subaru lads are running a split bellmouth/ downpipe thingy on internal gate turbo's which seperates the flow from the gate then re-enters the flow further down the downpipe, and they all seem to rate it highly! not sure if this would be any good on a 1.8t lump?

Jon@VAGWORX

Baisically, if you use an exhaust that is too free flowing, the lack of backpressure lets the air pass through the turbo exhaust wheel instead of going through the actuator hole. This renders the actuator useless (in worst case scenario's). So, you either give the exhaust more restriction, or you fix the actuator closed and use an external wastegate.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
why would the wastegate be open unless its to reduce boost from n75 control?
are you describing creep?

Ibiza sport man

Dec 13, 2003
Kettering
Visit site
FP Red is laggier than the green by 500rpm.
green gave me 1bar at 3500rpm and off gauge by 4200rpm

Greens more drivable than the red, but with your 4wd you can use it all when it comes in, unlike mine.

400+ is easy on either of them.
suggest you have race valve springs as they luv to rev..
peak power at limiter.
solid lifter head on my list to extend to 9krpm if I need to.

Hi Bill

I presume you used the 8 cm housing on the Green ?

Does the compressor housing clear the head/block or did you have to cut a bit away ?

Bernard

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
yes 8cm from red lately but previously it was 7cm.. no trimming of head req'd on my manifold. (top mount remember)
8cm was laggier than 7cm on green

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
not a chance. been there. hence went top mount
junk the jabba mani and allow something which fits easier and allows greater choice of turbo.

Ibiza sport man

Dec 13, 2003
Kettering
Visit site
Bummer ! can't go that route in an Elise without losing a lot of the boot and toasting the back of the engine bay. I reckon a TD05 18G is the best I'm going to get in there.

Bernard

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
lag is a opinion really,if you have a 4-8k powerband then it will still be a v. quick car.Not as "nice" to drive but quicker point to point.

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
18g is a good turbo but the compressor is only slightly larger than a vf34,is it really worth it for 30bhp??

tashacupra

Next up "twin scroll"
Jul 26, 2007
suffolk
does anybody know anything about the ihi vf38 twin scroll, i know the spool is supposed to be very fast, but what garrett turbo's could you compare it to, would it offer gains anything like the vf34 does on a 1.8 20vt lump.:confused:

caney

Apr 24, 2005
td06 20g will fit,buts it's very tight,dan has fitted one.
anything bigger than the ihi vf34 turbo on the jabba set up is a pain in the arse imo.Been there ,tried it,didn't work.That's why i went for the jbs set up,My TD05/20G is not as good as i thought it would be tbh:confused: the most bhp it's made is 372@25psi and it makes 1 bar by 3200rpm but doesnt hit full boost till 4800rpm!MRC said that they had to map it like this as it was surging too much:shrug:i want a turbo that'll make 450bhp so i can ditch the nitrous:)

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
No standard scoobie turbo can do more than 350bhp a comparison is a gt28rs.

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
what dyno gave you the 372bhp steve??
A gt3071r will do 450bhp,a gt3076r will do 500bhp with associated mods.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.