A final ode to one of my favourite cars, the LCR

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
empi, have you REALLY got a stripe kit on your lcr?

i've always liked them on other cars but i thought it was just too common and chavvy for the lcr!

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
empi, have you REALLY got a stripe kit on your lcr?

i've always liked them on other cars but i thought it was just too common and chavvy for the lcr!

lol, it was for le mans fella, nothing permanent.....

Rear.jpg

DSC00161.jpg

chris_adair

Feb 4, 2006
I know exactly what you mean about being excited about the LCR like no other car, not just on collection but every sodding day. Nothing else can touch it for the money all things considered and I really can't see anything else to replace if with given I'd need something with 4 doors. The only place I can go from here is to an RS4 or M5 - and that's silly money.

Still, good luck with the S3 - it's an awesome car, no doubt.

Cant agree more with this, after just buying an LCR the other week, I cant see many other cars on the road I woul prefer bar the ones you have mentioned above. All round capability of the LCR for its age is hard to beat, and although engine is now slightly dated (compared to new FSI units), it is still one awesome machine. I love mine, and will do for many years hopefully.

Looking forward to hear your comments on the S3. Stunning car, if expensive.
Good luck with it mate ;)

warren_cox

Back from the dead
B*ll*cks, I really feel like I've missed an event. I missed the posts that got deleted / banned!!

If its any consolation I've just come back from North Wales after a long weekend kicking about in the Snowdonia area. The S3 was monumentally competant at keeping us on the straight and narrow on some absolutely deluged Welsh roads (even at 80-90+mph). No doubt the Leon wouldn't quite have been able to keep with that, but ultimately it was still just a little souless.

Every time we see an LCR we still spot them and pick them out in the traffic. And even though its 4 months down since L7ONR was traded we still miss the Leon like mad (for its character, sound, 4 doors, great steering wheel and rock hard mean as f*ck looks).

Finally if its any consolation the Audi rattles like a bag of nails too, so don't think its a SEAT problem. As I've always maintained, its just a different badge on the front and a bigger price tag!

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
you didnt miss much, it was just some guy who claimed to be a seat mechanic slagging us all off and saying that the advice given on this site is shite.....he was a knob and the admins got rid EXTREMLY quickly (we're talking a couple of minutes here!)

chris_adair

Feb 4, 2006
B*ll*cks, I really feel like I've missed an event. I missed the posts that got deleted / banned!!

If its any consolation I've just come back from North Wales after a long weekend kicking about in the Snowdonia area. The S3 was monumentally competant at keeping us on the straight and narrow on some absolutely deluged Welsh roads (even at 80-90+mph). No doubt the Leon wouldn't quite have been able to keep with that, but ultimately it was still just a little souless.

Every time we see an LCR we still spot them and pick them out in the traffic. And even though its 4 months down since L7ONR was traded we still miss the Leon like mad (for its character, sound, 4 doors, great steering wheel and rock hard mean as f*ck looks).

Finally if its any consolation the Audi rattles like a bag of nails too, so don't think its a SEAT problem. As I've always maintained, its just a different badge on the front and a bigger price tag!

Ha, I was desperately trying to buy your old L7ONR registration off HUMPRIS OXFORD, however car went either today or yesterday. Will get some sort of LEON R reg at some point though.
Been there for quite a while, your old car, still on website me thinks.
Great car that new S3, really wana take one for a test drive to see. Hope its good for you. My mate ahd an '01 210bhp nogaro one, and i loved it, as did he!
:funk:

Last edited:

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com

You could probably flog the S3 and buy an LCR with IHI and an ICR with IHI for what the Starship Enterprise cost you .... i know it's a different class of car, but if it still rattles like a packhorse loaded with stolen marbles, it does make you wonder what the point of the extra purchase price is.

My neighbour has the Rs6 and whilst i'd lose a left testicle to have the seats and the engine, everything else looks pretty ordinary, well except the running costs which are crippling! He just had new front discs, pads and tyres fitted, don't think he got change out of £1000! That said, if you got your LCR serviced at a stealer, i don't think you'd get much change from that either.

So after a few months with black beauty, was it worth the change or do you find yourself hankering after something else?

warren_cox

Back from the dead
You could probably flog the S3 and buy an LCR with IHI and an ICR with IHI for what the Starship Enterprise cost you .... i know it's a different class of car, but if it still rattles like a packhorse loaded with stolen marbles, it does make you wonder what the point of the extra purchase price is.

My neighbour has the Rs6 and whilst i'd lose a left testicle to have the seats and the engine, everything else looks pretty ordinary, well except the running costs which are crippling! He just had new front discs, pads and tyres fitted, don't think he got change out of £1000! That said, if you got your LCR serviced at a stealer, i don't think you'd get much change from that either.

So after a few months with black beauty, was it worth the change or do you find yourself hankering after something else?

Hi mate.

The S3 does have a couple of rattles, but on the face of it these are about the worst of its offences. The other let down is that no matter how hard you push it you can't make the car become anything even approaching uncivilised.

The S3 was way overpriced by the time you'd bolted your fancies to it, and that means you will always question was it worth the money. You can go faster for the cash, but its so beautifully presented (notice I don't say put together), its hard not to love it.

Where it is head and shoulders above the Leon is in the way it plants its power on the road. I've always been really critical of Haldex and how I believed it was a cheap and nasty substitute for Quattro. The latest version is really very good. Its very forgiving and allows even the lamest driver to make safe progress at very high speeds. However what it has in poise it just lacks in soul. You never feel your wrestling with it, or that its on the edge of biting your head off.

One mate who runs a Mk2 Golf with a supercharged 3.2VR6 said he thought the car felt slow. However when we raced at GTi International this year we were both posting 0-60 in 5.4 and around 14secs for standing quarters. How composure kills the effect of speed!

Don't get me wrong here, I do love the car. It's a real grower. But that said if I could also afford something that I could shove in the garage for weekend use that scared me sh1tless I'd be a very happy man. If I had my time again would I have changed anything - probably not. The Evo would have been quicker but pricier to run. The M3 CS/L would have put me or the missus in a ditch eventually as its a ruthless piece of kit! Strangely with the S3, like the LCR, the sum of its parts are greater than any one strength!

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Ha, I was desperately trying to buy your old L7ONR registration off HUMPRIS OXFORD, however car went either today or yesterday. Will get some sort of LEON R reg at some point though.
Been there for quite a while, your old car, still on website me thinks.
Great car that new S3, really wana take one for a test drive to see. Hope its good for you. My mate ahd an '01 210bhp nogaro one, and i loved it, as did he!
:funk:

Didn't realise it had gone to Humphris! I was going to sell the plate privately for £200 but ran out of time as the Audi dealer was nobbing me about on the part ex price.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
you didnt miss much, it was just some guy who claimed to be a seat mechanic slagging us all off and saying that the advice given on this site is shite.....he was a knob and the admins got rid EXTREMLY quickly (we're talking a couple of minutes here!)

No change there then, good to see they're as hot as always. Forums are better places for strict moderation its amazing how many fools decide to give it the mouth when they think they are anonymous.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Hi mate.

The S3 does have a couple of rattles, but on the face of it these are about the worst of its offences. The other let down is that no matter how hard you push it you can't make the car become anything even approaching uncivilised.

The S3 was way overpriced by the time you'd bolted your fancies to it, and that means you will always question was it worth the money. You can go faster for the cash, but its so beautifully presented (notice I don't say put together), its hard not to love it.

Where it is head and shoulders above the Leon is in the way it plants its power on the road. I've always been really critical of Haldex and how I believed it was a cheap and nasty substitute for Quattro. The latest version is really very good. Its very forgiving and allows even the lamest driver to make safe progress at very high speeds. However what it has in poise it just lacks in soul. You never feel your wrestling with it, or that its on the edge of biting your head off.

One mate who runs a Mk2 Golf with a supercharged 3.2VR6 said he thought the car felt slow. However when we raced at GTi International this year we were both posting 0-60 in 5.4 and around 14secs for standing quarters. How composure kills the effect of speed!

Don't get me wrong here, I do love the car. It's a real grower. But that said if I could also afford something that I could shove in the garage for weekend use that scared me sh1tless I'd be a very happy man. If I had my time again would I have changed anything - probably not. The Evo would have been quicker but pricier to run. The M3 CS/L would have put me or the missus in a ditch eventually as its a ruthless piece of kit! Strangely with the S3, like the LCR, the sum of its parts are greater than any one strength!

The civilised nature of the car compared to the LCR would i guess what you were looking for when you moved, it's a lot more grown up i guess. The price of options always scares me, even when i bought a car brand new i was tight with what got added - the biggest thing i've always done to any car up to now has been the audio side of things. I'd played with springs and shocks etc .... but nothing much more than that as I was always too busy tinkering trying to find places to put bigger speakers :)

I guess with the soul of the thing, you have to weigh up for yourself whether the loss of 'axe murderer under the bonnet' is too much of a compromise. That said, you can pick up a bike engined screaming headcase of a tracktoy for well under £10k these days, keep the S3 and spend the depreciation on that instead.

14 seconds quarter and 5.4 seconds to 60 are not to be sneezed at, the fact it does that and doesn't leave you shaken and battered is a good thing. I think i'm just a teeny bit jealous and don't mind admitting it :)

swissrebel

May 17, 2007
The S3 is damned smart.

Life's too short not to own as many cars as possible - in fact most will only make you appreciate the Leon more :)

I would just rather be in the position where i'd have 2 cars at any time, one of them always a Leon ;)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.