A Poor mans FR

Stiglet

Feb 12, 2010
Surrey
well ive been going on about an FR for ages but doing my sums i dont think i can afford one, well not a good low milage one at least. i was looking at the next best thing ? was thinking along the lines of a 1.4 or 1.9 diesal sportrider ? just wonderd what people thought and did anyone have one and was it any good ? at least i will get the new facelift model and maybe able to afford a couple of small mods..

need a lotto win :lol:

KernowFR

Mr Diesel Box
Apr 2, 2010
Cornwall
I have just picked up a 58 plate 1.9 sportrider with 9k on the clock and i'm pleased with mine (1 week into ownership) the 100bhp PD engine is very eager and like most VW's produce more than the quoted BHP.

Mine is having a tunit box tomorrow and a K&N Panel filer which should liven things up a bit.

Get the 1.9tdi you wont be disappointed, its nicely speced and has good brakes and suspension and steers and handles well.

Mattwood

Mar 7, 2009
Nr Southampton
Why not try for a high-miler FR? I bought my 04 (pre-facelift) FR for just under £4k last year with 121k on the clock and it's not missed a beat since. In fact, I've just had P-Torque Stage 1 put on it :D

Just a thought.

and as an FYI i was 19 when I bought it and my insurance was sub £700 fully comp!!

Mar 13, 2010
i picked up a tdi sport 130 for just over 3k, quick and cheap to insure.

dont worry so much about milage if you get a diesel, they go for ever those 1.9 engines.

Jun 24, 2007
durham
you could always buy a pre facelift version of the fr , and then change bumpers/wheels when funds allow there not that expensive of ebay

Stiglet

Feb 12, 2010
Surrey
OMG i didnt know the engine was that good !!! over 200,000 miles. thats mad. maybe i will lower my standards a bit and get one with slightly higher milage, i knida feels that defeats the object as mine only has 18,000 miles on it and seem daft buyinh a higher milage car. Although the FR or Sportrider will certainly be more car for the money.. i will carry on my quest to upgrade from my 1.4 sport. reading about insurance i should be ok as im 42 with full no claims, sometimes being old does help ;)

cheers for the feedback and id love to see a pic of someones sportrider, i know they only have 16 inch rims, but thats about all i know..

have a top weekend

stig..

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise