ABS... and the differences

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
Was the Arosa available without ABS ?

My sister has a Lupo, without ABS the garage reckon. She needs a rear beam after a collision on a roundabout and the garage have had two 2nd hand axles in which they reckon were off a Polo cos they "didn't fit" :confused:

I've rung round this morning and found a Lupo rear beam... but it's off a model with ABS.

The scrappers reckon they're different - I can't get my head around why - does anyone know?

More importantly, does it matter? Could she get this one anyway? Cos the alternative is a new one off VW for £500 more :(

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
if it is abs would mounting arrangements for sensors and hubs to match etc

mind you sounds a bit obvious could be disks instead of drums too

gimme 5 ill have a look see

olethalb

ibiza gone!!!
Oct 9, 2008
bracknell
yea, i had two r reg arosa's 1.0l in that dodgy green colour they were identical bar 1 number in the reg and one had abs.

anyway the axles are the same for abs and non abs models, it's just a hole in the back of the brake plate (behind the drum) abs cars have the sensor and exciter ring and the non abs have a plug to blank off the hole.

there is a lupo down my local breakers with a good beam in it too.

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
Lovely job! :clap:

I wondered about the discs vs. drums

I'm pretty sure hers has drums.

I know when I had my Nissan Almera, mine had discs (and ABS) and there were guys swapping drums for axles with discs on - I assume, having setup the handbrake cable and connected the brake lines that they just stripped the sensors off.

Actually, I think there were only ABS rings/sensors on the front hubs anyway :confused:

Danneh

I thaught it would be pretty easy to check if a car has ABS or not?

You drive at 30mph on a quiete road, and stamp on the pedal.

Full brake lockup and skid - NO ABS.
Very little lockup, and next to no skid, or no skid at all - ABS!

Thats how I always knew... ;)

EDIT: Pretty much fail safe too.

olethalb

ibiza gone!!!
Oct 9, 2008
bracknell
even easier, look under the header tank see if theres a block with lots of brake lines into it .

or even on the switch blanks next to the stereo, i'm sure the abs version has a light?

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
or even on the switch blanks next to the stereo, i'm sure the abs version has a light?

light should illuminate with ignition on for a few sec when it self tests

i thought they were in the speedo though

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
I thaught it would be pretty easy to check if a car has ABS or not?

You drive at 30mph on a quiete road, and stamp on the pedal.

Full brake lockup and skid - NO ABS.
Very little lockup, and next to no skid, or no skid at all - ABS!

Thats how I always knew... ;)

EDIT: Pretty much fail safe too.

I like my car and my body in one piece :headhurt:

Danneh

I like my car and my body in one piece :headhurt:

What? Lol. 4 metres of a skid at 30~ will not do any damage to anything. Even the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel.

I've locked up at 60, though gotta be on the ball with counter-steering though cos it was twitchy on the backend!

Maybe I'm mad. :blink:

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
Think he means either the minty green one or the yellowy green one honey our greeny cars are pretty colours :D

olethalb

ibiza gone!!!
Oct 9, 2008
bracknell
ollyphone042-1.jpg

olethalb

ibiza gone!!!
Oct 9, 2008
bracknell
i did have, stripped rear, omp rollcage, custom shocks pirelli pslots. i scrapped it though well i had two caged and stripped out + slammed 1 with p slots and one with 13" 7j bbs!

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
The Pirelli wheels look good on the Arosa though. Im looking for some Teddy Ronals for mine but, seeing those gives me another idea :D

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members