Access to centre console if glovebox removed

wvw

Hi there,
Wondered if you might be able to help me out before I do something stupid. Just fitted a new radio, but its such a tight fit that now I cant remove it using the little keys provided. I was hoping to give it a little push from behind to see if it willpush out enough for me to grab it from the front.

Now the real problem is, can I access (or at least get my hand) behind the radio if I remove the glovebox? Ive read a couple of threads on glovebox removal and it looks -reasonably- easy. Nobody has mentioned the airbag switch though, will the thing go off in my face if i unplug the switch?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

vinylrichy

Darker Than The Vinyl
Aug 3, 2006
Worthing West Sussex
unless you have the wrists of psh spice you wont get round there, at least to the stereo anyway - i learned that the hard way - almost had to get the saw out :doh:

wvw

Any ideas on a better way round? I figured that was my only chance!

wvw

Not exactly, but the picture of the Becker HU in this thread is exactly where I am at at the moment (number 7) - http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=75052&highlight=becker

As you can see it all looks well, but i need to install an ipod cable so it has to come out.

The problem with pulling it out is the two unlock keys that are provided only allow so much force before they lose there grip. It needs a little push from behind to help it on its way. Is there no access at all from the passenger side?

vinylrichy

Darker Than The Vinyl
Aug 3, 2006
Worthing West Sussex
you might have problems then - i put the ipod cable in with difficaulty and thats when the head unit was out. You can get your arm in there so far but if i remember rightly i couldnt reach through the glovebox to see my hand (with the unit out). give ut a go tho - only takes a second to get the GB unit out you may get lucky!

wvw

Hope so, maybe i can just push it enough to give leverage from the front. I bloody hope so, otherwise thats wasted some cash!