Advice on LCR for sale please.

RobDon

Pro Detailer
OK, went to see an LCR that's for sale yesterday and would like some input on my findings and what you would do please. I found the following:

1. First impressions were pretty good, looks in good condition.

2. The owner drove me from the station back to his house, as a passenger it felt a little rattly and loose to me.

3. Inspecting the car I only found a couple of scratches that I could sort easily.

4. I went over the car with my paint depth gauge to check for any respray or repair work and found that the whole roof, bonnet and offside wing have been resprayed. A normal reading is around 120 microns - the roof showed 827! That's body filler and paint on there, which gave me immediate cause for concern - has this car been in an accident or is it dents/stone chips/scratches, etc. 827 seems way too thick to be minor repairs to me.

5. Interior was ok apart from some marks on the plastics and the red showing through on the steering wheel and gearknob - consistent with 98k miles I guess.

6. Engine bay was very clean, Badger 5 TIP and induction kit etc. It is REVO stage 2 with a dyno printout showing 285bhp.

7. TX Autosport FMIC fitted, front bumper hadn't been refitted very well, few top clips missing and a trim panel missing too. bumper covered in stone chips and would require repainting for me personally.

8. Rear brake discs are drilled but new front discs are plain, so for me the rear discs would have to be replaced with plain ones.

9. Bizzarely (to me) the owner has chopped off the large oval tailpipe and fitted small twin tailpipes, making this LCR look like an LC from the rear?

10. Alloys are black but need a refurb, 4 good tyres on it.

11. Brembo calipers faded and need a refurb.

Now I am not condemning this car, far from it, but for me the respray work and filler under the paint does raise my concerns - accident damage or just stone chip/dent/scratch repairs? It is HPi clear having run a check myself, 4 previous owners, 1 of which only owned the car for 3 months though?

The whole car felt quite loose and rattly to me, but coming from my own Leon which felt tight and solid with only 46k miles on it compared to 98k. The MOT also showed a list of advisories too, which were all ticked off so have all been addressed I think.

Would you run a mile from this car?

For me to be happy with this car I would have to refurb the wheels (£300), the calipers (£20 DIY), replace the rear discs (£50 DIY), respray the front bumper (£300), large oval tailpipe refitted (£100), have the steering wheel recovered (£150), new gearknob (£100?) and possibly replace the TX Autosport FMIC as it looks like a cheapo to me. So roughly £1,000 plus a new FMIC to put everything right.

It is priced at £3,700 on a 54 plate. I don't think it's worth that given all the above info.

Your thoughts please? :shrug:

Bigandbald

I've recently bought a '54 plate black LCR, and I watched several on eBay for ages beforehand to see what they actually went for. I feel the true price of a 100k LCR in good nick is circa £3k, I don't think the mods make it worth any more or less just your own desirability really. Also shop around, as £300 to refurb the rims is expensive, as is the bumper respray

BoostHard

Complete Plonker
Nov 25, 2012
At Work.......
www.Passionford.com
You can have mine for £3100 firm.

Perhaps the car has had a full respray where the panels would have been skimmed with filler?

Do a HPi check if your really interested.

These cars are old now so not unusual for them to see some paint.

Jeez, you'd be suprised how many brand new cars receive knocks on transportation from factory.

Many go to a body shop for repair before going to the 1st owner.

akchappers

Jun 27, 2010
Gillingham Dorset.
Tbh mate I'd be surprised if a car like ours hadn't had paint at some stage. Mine had the boot sprayed as I'm a fussy sod!
Remember this has double the miles up bud.
And it has a few mods! So maybe worth it! Offer him £2900... You never know
Ak

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Any damage that's been repaired won't show up on an hpi check. Hpi only shows up insurance write offs, not anything that's been repaired by insurance companies.

It's one of those things they don't tell you.

IMO, it sounds like a fairly small list of niggly faults, assuming that the paint is good.
You'll be hard pressed to find any LCR now that doesn't have a list of niggles

Seal_LCR

Jun 4, 2012
Redditch
Sounds like you are talking yourself out of it which means you are unsure to me.

Go look at a few more with same miles and compare

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Thanks guys, that's 2 I've looked at so far and both haven't been very good, although nothing that couldn't be put right. I do have high standards and have never owned a car with more than 53k on it before so I am trying to be open-minded! £4k is all I can afford. :(

Got a red LCR which is a 1 owner 61k car to look at, an Ibiza FR 1.8T with 59k miles and am even considering going to see a Ford Mondeo ST!

GTi T

May 8, 2005
North West
Im sure there are Leons out there with less than 98k on the clock, i'd go check out more if you really want one again mate,it's gotta be right for you, you can't have any doubts about it

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
Sounds like you already have but I'd walk away from that one Rob.
Personally I'd be put off buying any old hot hatch or performance car with high mileage.
Like your old one mine's a 54 plate and done around 50k and feels as tight as a drum.

yellonvi-R

Sep 8, 2011
birmingham
Mines done 95k only just had it mapped. And its a minter drives like new bar an anti roll bar bush that needs sorting. If there looked after milage is nothing. Just gotta find the right one.

RobDon

Pro Detailer
There is a red one which only has 61k on it and is a 1 owner car and a black one with 65k on it and 2 owners, both seem to be standard cars in good condition and appear un-abused or DIY modified (going by the pics and descriptions).

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Went to look at a 56 plate Ibiza FR 1.8T today, 59k miles - described as 'stunning' and 'mint' .......... erm no, it's definately neither of those! Nothing worked! The A/C, fans, CD player - nothing worked. Found rust on it too, scrape down the side, scuff on the bumper. Was going to look at another car on the way home but it was sold yesterday, so no luck today.

99% of cars described as stunning, mint and immaculate are never any of those. :( Still have a few left to look at within 30 miles of here, if none are any good or are gone then I'll have to look further away and open myself up to different cars other than a SEAT if they're all crap.

akchappers

Jun 27, 2010
Gillingham Dorset.
My blue one although not an lcr has 105,000 on it now and is pretty much clean as a whistle!
Yellow one now has 125,000 on it and has never failed me at all!
It's ok to be fussy mate but you're talking yourself out of one. And as for a mundano totally different car. My yellow 250 bhp one eats them...
Just keep looking until you're happy mate
Ak