Advice on tyres

JamieD

Jan 1, 2018
Needing some new tyres for the FR and was looking at the Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric 3 in 225/40/18. I had the asymetric 2 on my previous car (Astra Gtc) and the sidewalls where very soft and made the car feel very unpredictable and like the wheels where not tightened they didn’t inspire much confidence while driving. If anyone is running the asymetric 3 tyres in this size can you give me any feedback on what they are like.

Cheers guys

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley
The eagle f1's did fine on my cupra 280.... preffered the pilot super sports though, would spend a little more and go for them personally

zedlor

Aug 24, 2017
Warrington
I really don't think you need to get Super Sports for an FR. Unless it's heavily remapped then I just think it's pointless, those tyres are made for high performance, i.e. Cupra.

I can't give you any other guidance though OP...

JamieD

Jan 1, 2018
My car is only a 1.4 tsi 140, Just looking for a good tyre with good levels of wet grip and doesn’t make the car feel like every bolt is loose like the asymetric 2’s did. Was looking at the Michelin pilot sport 4 tyres but just didn’t want to spend over £100 per corner when the Goodyear tyres seem to have similar performance for less money.

DANFR180

Feb 8, 2016
The PS4 is an outstanding tyre in all conditions, by far the best you could buy for 18" there are other good options too but you will not get the overall package, ask yourself is it worth an extra £20 a tyre to have the best ? Or save £20 and have just a good tyre lol

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
I've got PS4 on the front and F1A3 on the back.

Not a direct comparison, but I'm very happy with both and I'm fussy about tyres.
The PS4 are very good. I can stomp on the throttle in the wet and they just grip and go. The OE bridgestones would have had the TC working overtime.

Kempo

2015 Leon 1.4 FR EcoTSI
Dec 30, 2017
Needing some new tyres for the FR and was looking at the Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric 3 in 225/40/18. I had the asymetric 2 on my previous car (Astra Gtc) and the sidewalls where very soft and made the car feel very unpredictable and like the wheels where not tightened they didn’t inspire much confidence while driving. If anyone is running the asymetric 3 tyres in this size can you give me any feedback on what they are like.

Cheers guys

There was a good thread going on tyres...

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/what-tyres-did-your-leon-come-with.445098/page-2

I had the Good Year AS3s and found the sidewalls soft and I wouldn’t get them again now. Either going for the Dunlop or Michelin.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
I've got PS4's on the GT86. Really excellent tyres, a noticeable improvement over the 3's even. I think the improved life makes up for the higher initial cost.

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
Does anyone know if the PS4's are good for a 184FR? Would they give good mileage, I need a balance between performance and mileage?

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
The PS4 is an outstanding tyre in all conditions, by far the best you could buy for 18" there are other good options too but you will not get the overall package, ask yourself is it worth an extra £20 a tyre to have the best ? Or save £20 and have just a good tyre lol

I think I'd save over the extra £20 and have the best for me..

JamieD

Jan 1, 2018
Well ended up ordering the Michelin pilot sport 4 and will have them fitted on Saturday, Blackcircles had a deal on them

GTunney

May 28, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne UK
Tyre city had their grand opening near me today. Didn’t even know until I drove past with the little one on the way to footy practice.

Sadly didn’t have any PS4 in stock but manage to get some of the newer Michelin Primacy 4.

50% off for celebrating the opening.

£120 for 2 new tyres so I’m buzzing.

CUPRoAr

Oct 7, 2017
Tyre city had their grand opening near me today. Didn’t even know until I drove past with the little one on the way to footy practice.

Sadly didn’t have any PS4 in stock but manage to get some of the newer Michelin Primacy 4.

50% off for celebrating the opening.

£120 for 2 new tyres so I’m buzzing.

Was this for an FR or Cupra?

ajg74

Dec 9, 2016
Manchester
I stuck 4 Kumho ecsta hs51's on my old Abarth 500 when it needed tyres but cash was a bit tight due to doing a lot of unexpected work on our house, plus I knew I was getting close to changing car time, was VERY pleasantly surprised by them, especially in the wet!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.