Advice - speaker issues

sh4rk

2001 Leon Cupra
Jan 13, 2010
www.cxgsystems.co.uk
hi guys - ok i have looked through so many threads now just thought i would post :)
I as of 2 weeks a go the proud owner of a seat leon cupra 2001 WOOT :p

:( However on getting the leon its factory aura stereo was dead - no biggy went and bought an after market HU. wired it up iso's in amp sub fine drivers door speakers (front and rear) DEAD :( .

So did the intelligent thing and plugged another HU in from the mrs car to test if i had a dud HU same outcome. Set about pulling off the door panels only to find neither front or back plugged in. Soooo - i plugged them in HU went into protect mode short cicuit at a guess. so will it be the speakers or could it be speaker cable (don't have the budget to have a car audio place replace both)

any advice would be great - sorry if i don't replay gotta go out for most of today

cheers - Tony:headhurt:

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
i presonall ywould take them out , and connect em upto my house hifi , with a bit of speaker wire to see if anything ,

i would take a guess tho that its wiring related , did you buy a proper iso harnes ??

Mar 3, 2009
Hinckley
do you hear a pop like someone has attached a 9v battery (quick crackle)? whichever speaker or speakers you hear it from they are the culrpit.
if you dont disconnect all of them and plug in each one one at a time adding them to the system,do it whilst it is off though or it willl work whilst the ignition is on then when you turn off and again itll go back into protect mode.
ie ignition on,1 speaker,turn off,ignition on,2nd speaker etc etc

sh4rk

2001 Leon Cupra
Jan 13, 2010
www.cxgsystems.co.uk
no pop and got a wiring loom that fits seat - the left hand speakers work absolutely fine but will pull the ones that don't work out obviously then if they work once connected in the house i will assume i have a wiring problem any ideas how i would fix that?

if i connect up the speakers to the stereo with ignition off - doesn't matter which one i connect, when i turn the stereo on it comes on in protect mode

Ok got the door panel off and ......................rivets:( how on earth do i get the speakers out without damaging the surround????

Last edited:

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
rivets ?? not seen them

i get the crackle and pop (like rice crispies :) lol when i first turn my totally standard aura cd player on ,

what can this be then ?

and my drivers tweeter comes and goes dependand on how fast i drive

if its slow it dont work if im pacing , then the volume auto increases then it works ??

warren_cox

Back from the dead
I think the Leon bass speaker drivers are rivetted into the door frame as the cone has an integrated plastic spacer on the OEM unit. This has to be replaced with an Autoleads (or home made spacer) if you replace them with aftermarket components.

First check I would say is to make sure your connections are good and free from damp / moisture and corrosion

If that is so, then check each driver individually to ensure it works by getting a bit of speaker cable and some spade connectors and hooking it up to a known working feed or battery to check you get some sort of feedback.

If the speaker works then you want to go back to the loom to make sure there are no cable shorts (check anywhere where the cable sheathing may have rubbed against metal - door frames, dash struts etc...)

If all the cables look OK, check the wiring in the ISO block to the head unit and make sure you have the right one, and the colour of the wires all match up. If they do, check the headunit settings and make sure that it fires up (if not check internal fuse), and then check all output settings / volume outputs are set appropriately.

If after this it still doesn't work, I'd consider running some QED 79 strand speaker cable in place of the OEM stuff and see if it resolves the issue.

I take it your battery is OK and putting out over 12v (or 14.4v when the engine is running?)

sh4rk

2001 Leon Cupra
Jan 13, 2010
www.cxgsystems.co.uk
i'm assuming my battery is ok as everything workes fine on the car HU comes on no problem amp works fine and sub is producing nice crsip base at very high volumes. but i will try running a cable from somewhere into the connection block see if i get anything. getting dark now tho so gonna have to wait till tomorrow for a better light.

Thanx for the above advice will run through it all tomorrow :D - fingers crossed

Mar 3, 2009
Hinckley
rivets ?? not seen them

i get the crackle and pop (like rice crispies :) lol when i first turn my totally standard aura cd player on ,
and

what can this be then ?

and my drivers tweeter comes and goes dependand on how fast i drive

if its slow it dont work if im pacing , then the volume auto increases then it works ??

Standard unit doesn't have a protect mode

can you tell which one it is from the crackle as that will be the channel that's at fault.
Test another speaker there if you can,if it doesn't do it,speaker at fault,still does it wiring or even headunit (very rare) at fault

ThackersLCR

Jul 5, 2008
Blackpool
Intresting reading!
I have no front speakers or tweeters, have never been in since iv had it, but the rectangular supply unit is still attatched to the door!? The rear speakers work fine. I havent bothered sussing it out yet, perhaps il take it up! Just thinking if something along the same lines has happened and theyve been removed!?

sh4rk

2001 Leon Cupra
Jan 13, 2010
www.cxgsystems.co.uk
Well finally got time to try the direct speaker cable approach. Connected it to the back of my wiring loom and then connected direct to the connector in the door turned on the kenwood and protect mode came on. tried a 30 m speaker cable from my stereo in my front room dead as a dead thing :( i guess its new speaker time but now i have to pay for a car audio shop to replace them as the dam things a rivited into the mount :( :( :( -

sgtcortez

I've done a poo Daddy
Jul 26, 2009
Cornwall
Protect mode usually means a dead short somewhere from the head unit to your speakers. Speakers usually go open circuit (blown) so you may have a faulty loom.

You can drill out rivets very easily, Just use a decent hss bit (approx 5mm) and gently drill it out. Don't put to much presser on as you don't want a 5mm hole in your door!!!

Mar 3, 2009
Hinckley
Well finally got time to try the direct speaker cable approach. Connected it to the back of my wiring loom and then connected direct to the connector in the door turned on the kenwood and protect mode came on. tried a 30 m speaker cable from my stereo in my front room dead as a dead thing :( i guess its new speaker time but now i have to pay for a car audio shop to replace them as the dam things a rivited into the mount :( :( :( -

the main point of issue is in the door itself so you need to remove the rivets as sgtcortez has said by drilling them out then testing it

sh4rk

2001 Leon Cupra
Jan 13, 2010
www.cxgsystems.co.uk
:) lol well guys i'm a bit of a computer geek - wouldn't really trust myself with power tools and a motor in the same area - not sure things would go to well :D

sh4rk

2001 Leon Cupra
Jan 13, 2010
www.cxgsystems.co.uk
np will try and sort something for sunday although can't venture to far out from here got loads of work to do (geek stuff) [B)] will pm you if i have some free time or pm me if you need some computer help ;)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise