Air filter at 40K?

NorthernMonkey2

Just had my 20k Altea 1.9tdi serviced and noticed it excluded air filter change.

Can't believe SEAT maintenance regime is for a new air filter at 40,000 miles but pollen filter at 20,000 - I know which is more important to me [and the car!].

Paid the money, got the stamp in the book then called in at GSF on way home for an air filter.
Took the old filter out and sure enough, well clogged up. No way there was another 20,000 miles left in it.

Frustrating that to keep the warranty the way you have to follow their rules for servicing - enough if they are :censored:

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
for £6 a pop for a genuine MANN filter from my local motor factor, i do mine every 10K. Even after this time/distance, the amount of soot/carp is noticable. Did car run much better?

NorthernMonkey2

Hi,

haven't particularly noticed any change in acceleration but I have noticed a step up in MPG - from late 40s to early 50s on the same journey.

Was tempted to post a picture of the old filter but didn't get time. I split it apart and it was full of grit and bugs.

I'm going to change it every 10k like yourself as I intend to keep the car for a few years. It just beggars belief that to protect the warranty you have to follow a regime that neglects the blinking lungs of the car for 40k but puts a priority on a pollen filter.

My lungs have had much worse than a bit of pollen in them so I think it should be the other way round.

I'm not aware if the other VW group cars with the same engine have this same interval?

NorthernMonkey2

googies, may well do that once warranty expired, just having to play the game at the mo :cry:

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
So I pay £50+ for a "performance" filter and ££s in oil to "renew" it and spend time and effort cleaning it and run the risk of ruining the maf
or £50 for 8 brand new unclogged 5 min change filters.....
Hmmm...
If somebody shows me the evidence in true airflow figures of a performance filters, especially a cleaned used one and a bog standard new paper one then I may change my mind.

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Not saying the performance is any better, but they can be had for £30+ and it isnt that intensive or expensive in cleaning them, 5 mins will clean it and no real evidence either for destroying the MAF. Price it all up exact and it might not be as bad as you make out.

NorthernMonkey2

Thats a fair point actually CrispDust. Panel filters aren't cheap in the first place.

TBH I don't know what the benefits / risks would be either - just that I would consider it if it stacked up financially.

Performance wise I do recall messing about with minis and beetles as a youth - pipercross filters were de rigeur back then!
Other than snorty induction noise I'm not at all convinced they did anything in isolation, and none of us had the money or brains to rejet carbs or get suitably tuned exhausts!
Most of our engines were on their last legs and smoked like hell too, so not easy to evidence long term effects. :shrug:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.