Air Filter Upgrade

S.c.r.e.a.m

The Dream
Aug 17, 2009
Bucks
Hi guys got a quick question: can I just change my standard air filter on my 1.4 16V to a K&N 57i air filter? Also what will this to he sound/performance?

Cheers

BASH29

Nov 4, 2009
East Midlands
you will be able to hear the difference, but dont get your hopes up to much on response, though you will be able to feel a slight difference in he throttle.

R4MSN_86CUPRA R

Jan 31, 2008
Glasgow
the improvements will be in ur head. just go with it. if u want a better sound go for an induction kit but get a cold air feed. sounds awesome then

jonesy118

Mar 8, 2009
Cheshire
Cool. So will I be able to just stick the cone filter on?

Yeah you can stick the cone filter on, but you'll get heatsoak, unless you have some sort of heatshield (not sure how your engine bay layout is in comparison to the 1.8T) and you should get a CAF to the front bumper

S.c.r.e.a.m

The Dream
Aug 17, 2009
Bucks
Yeah you can stick the cone filter on, but you'll get heatsoak, unless you have some sort of heatshield (not sure how your engine bay layout is in comparison to the 1.8T) and you should get a CAF to the front bumper

You couldn't dumb that down for me could you? P+Q

jonesy118

Mar 8, 2009
Cheshire
So how would I get CAF to the bumper? And for the heatsoak is there anything special put there I need to use or is there a cheap alternative ?

Cheers

CAF to front bumper can go down to fog light area if you haven't got fogs. Like i said i don't know how your bay looks compared to the 1.8T, but have a look at some cupra's with the Jabba induction kit. That comes with a heatshield that creates a compartment in the bay, separate from the engine IIRC

S.c.r.e.a.m

The Dream
Aug 17, 2009
Bucks
Cheers for the help guys. Will look into getting this done asap. Jonesy I will try and get you a pic of my engine bay and will have a look at the jabba induction kits.

jonesy118

Mar 8, 2009
Cheshire
This is on an ibiza, but you get the idea:

IHI-engine-bay-induction.jpg

jonesy118

Mar 8, 2009
Cheshire
all depends on where the airbox is on the 1.4, i've never seen one, as my cupra is the first VAG car i've owned.

Oh, and on the cupra, the're a scoop on the front bumper that feeds air towards the side mounted intercooler, so if your airbox is over towards the drivers side, you could maybe utilise that?

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members