air intake pipe

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
the air intake pipe that normally goes from the engine back into the airbox, what is the diameter?

gonig to get a new one tomorrow just wondered if anyone knows the size

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
i only got a crappy 1.4 engine in mine:(

still i didn't get time to get a pipe, so will have to look at another weekend

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
I think you need 56mm Internal Diameter pipe to replace the very restrictive 'funnel' that's attached to your airbox....

remove the funnel, clamp on the 56mm ducting using a large jubilee clip, and route it down beehind your front bumper facing forwards, and cable tie it in place ;)

ibiza_streg

Oct 23, 2006
Cornwall
The pipe that sends hot air back into the airbox I think is supposed to be for cold weather and its obviously a rubbish design as when I was looking at ibizas none of them had it! The intake is the most restrictive thing I've ever seen!

This is what I did to mine!
IMG_3789.jpg

The filter cost me £1 off ebay with free postage(best buy ever!) The stainless pipe was £18.99 and the rubber connector was like a fiver, I think the size was 56 - 77 mm!
http://www.motor-world.co.uk/kroozin/show_prod.php?prod_id=9574

F2 Ed

now has VAG com
Nov 5, 2006
www.superlite-wheels.com
That airbox IS VERY restrictive. But, there is a reason... not much fuel goes in so air has to be limited.

This is my set up:

PX.jpg

With the cone air filter directly on top of the throttle body it lets in LOTS of air but runs a little lean. BUT, im fitting a bigger fuel injector this week. Its gonna fly with that on! lol

The hot air pipe is helpful in cold weather, but if you have a mono point (like me) you have a heater matrix in the throttle body so the pipe isnt needed :D

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
i have a multipoint injection as its a 99 t plate

i am just wondering if something like ibiza_streg would be a good idea, but does it have that big an effect on fuel consumption?

ur better off getting an uprated panel filter.

Removing the airbox and sticking an induction kit on top only sucks in more hot air. Unless your put a heat shield on and have a healthy supply of cold air there is no actual point unless you want it for sounds.

Sure it helped to destroy my old aex engines. It will also struggle to start in the cold when winter kicks in.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members