Alarm and Radio issues UPDATED

hondated

Dec 13, 2007
Morning everyone. Being still in love with it since I brought it new my 55 plate is beginning to have a few niggles. Someone would say get rid of it but just like my wife I am not going to throw her out the door now I have these niggles.
I dare say a few of my neighbours went to work today feeling that little bit tired as my alarm went off in the early hours.
The battery still starts the car so after looking at the Forum it could be a door module causing the problem. I was going to remove fuse 17 as advised on the forum but it appears I don't have one. Can anyone tell me why and is there another way of silencing the alarm siren.
This problem as led to another now as well.
To solve the problem during the early hours I went out and disconnected the battery and when I reconnected it this morning I discovered that my radio as gone into Safe mode.
Fortunately I have the security code in my hand book but for some reason the pyt button I need to press does not seem to be working as it will not bleep.
Can anyone give me an idea of why that is and how I can overcome it.
I would of cause appreciate any and all advice anyone can offer.

Spent today trying to find problem but no luck yet. I have now got the tail boot warning light glowing faintly. I found a good thread on here with regards this problem so I have checked out the rear washer motor or pipe leaking and that's all ok.
I have used to VAGCOM meters as well but on both of these only on the A/T mode its giving me a failed link message. Does this indicate what could be wrong. Thanks

UPDATE - Today as advised by Alexis27 I had a new battery fitted at Halfords. I went to Halfords for two reasons my grandson works there part time and he got me a good discount on it. The other reason was that I had read that they could recode the radio easily but sadly that wasn't the case so I have spent all day trying to do it.
Having read on here how to do it I was met with two different methods so I was in a dilemma as to what method to use.
Both methods were much the same until it come to either leaving the ignition key in with the radio turned on or alternatively leaving the radio turned on with the key out.

I chose the former of the two and literally after 8 hours of waiting I have just been out to the car and I was able to imput my code and bingo its working again brilliant.

Another difference between the two methods was one said once the code had been put in you should press the PTY/PROG button and wait for a bleep and the other said press SCAN but on my radio there are two scans so I decided to press PTY/PROG button but it didn't bleep. I have subsequently turned it off and on several times and its remained tuned in so hopefully problem solved. If it isn't you can bet I will be back on here.
I have tried to give as much detail as possible because I know just what a pain this problem is for any one experiencing it and going by my experience you do really need the patience of a saint waiting to be able to input the code required.
One more detail is that my Leon is Mk1 FR 2006 is on a 55 plate. The radio/cd player is Aura.
I hope this helps whoever needs it.

Last edited:

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Just sounds like your battery is on its last legs to me. Especially likely after some cold weather. Common symptom is the alarm going off as it doesn't have enough power to crank and so confuses the lock and alarm. Just because your headlights still work it doesn't mean the battery is good - it needs far more power to crank the engine.

hondated

Dec 13, 2007
Just sounds like your battery is on its last legs to me. Especially likely after some cold weather. Common symptom is the alarm going off as it doesn't have enough power to crank and so confuses the lock and alarm. Just because your headlights still work it doesn't mean the battery is good - it needs far more power to crank the engine.

Thanks Alexis Do you know what I think your right because its the first thing I said to my wife. The only thing that's stopping me buying one is that its cranking the engine over an we used it this morning to go and get the shopping.
Given that would you be of the same opinion.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I should add as well that its a 55 plate and I am still using the original battery.

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
My 2004 battery got to last year, so 11 years seems about the limit.

Mine would be OK some days which made me think it wasn't the battery like you. Until I got stranded in Sainsbury's car park one day!

hondated

Dec 13, 2007
Thanks Alexis I think I will heed your words and get one tomorrow. Very much appreciated.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members