Alpine 'Full Speed' iPod Connection

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
well i'm too damn impatient. Off to my local Alpine dealer to try it out, if that 9850 is as fast as they claim, i'll be buying one next week.:D

SAPD

Getting one fitted tomorrow. :funk: Will be able to let you know on Wednesday just how well it copes with my 60gb Pod...

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
SAPD said:
Getting one fitted tomorrow. :funk: Will be able to let you know on Wednesday just how well it copes with my 60gb Pod...

I tried one out with my 20gb iPod a couple of weeks ago. Wasn't impressed at all. It certainly isn't 200% faster than the previous version - worth buying if you don't have any sort of iPod interface but not worth upgrading.

The really annoying thing is that on the previous version, you turned the volume dial to get to the track/playlist you wanted then pushed it in to select it - easy and simple when you are driving. On the new one you still use the volume to move between tracks but have to press a seperate, fidly (sp) little button to select it, genius! :rolleyes:

SAPD

Well, having never had an iPod compatible HU to upgrade from, I can certainly confirm that the sound quality is better than running myPod thru a tape adaptor.
The only issue I have is with the time it takes to scroll through albums/songs/artists. Suddenly, that Zero 7 album doesn't seem like it's worth listening to... But, once you've trawled through the lists, the songs load up quickly and I like the artist - album - track display.
Am yet to get too deep into the sounds settings but it all seems relatively simple.

Oh, I nearly forgot, I'm not too impressed with the 'red' illumination either. Seeing as the plastic for the buttons is blue, the effect of putting a red light behind them merely means that I end up with a distinctly PINK looking HU. Arse. That doesn't match my dashboard glow... :(

SAPD

Disappointed.
Can anyone tell me why the iPod feed makes all the songs sound 'muddy'?
The bass is fine but there doesn't seem to be much treble at all. I thought it was the way that my system was set up (it requires some fettling at the mo) but the CD and Radio sources sound fine.
I understand the way MP3s trim the highest and lowest frequencies but I thought that was only the sounds that are barely audible(?)
I'm gonna experiment with higher bit rate MP3s etc but just wondered if anyone could shed any light on why my iPod sounds so crap through this new HU...

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
MP3 can never sound as good as CD. It's not something i notice as, generally in the car, the quality of the MP3 isn't the limiting factor - it's the speakers/their position/road noise.

I do notice it at home through my Hi-Fi, but then again i connect my iPod to it by a simple line-in so the quality is never going to be great.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members