Altea shudder

kazza62blue

Thanks all for your advice. SEAT found me a family run garage who seem far more interested in sorting this out than original dealership who has the monopoly on car sales in Scotland.. car was there today & taken out for a drive at 55 mph (5th gear as always) & it did it again. Apparently there was a software problem with some older models causing a misfire at 50 - 60mph. Software has been upgraded today. Still too early to tell whether this is an end to it but so far so good!

kazza62blue

Hope this gets sorted for you soon. It's a real pain in the backside, isn't it?!

PhilOfCas

Nov 2, 2006
The capital of Yorkshire
people have been mentioning a software upgrade and dealers who aren't willing to do one, i'm puzzled as to why this is, is it not just a matter of connecting a computer and downloading it ?, i presume the software has been supplied free and it can't be too difficult to set-up and load onto a car ?, what's the problem with the dealers ?

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
i would have thought it was simple process of uninstalling/overwriting updating the original software through a VAG-Com or other program? Baffles me, annoying thing is they have been great on the replies till i mentioned the software, they never acknowledged that i had said about it or to check up about it! not happy!

Jun 28, 2001
the software isnt done because it ONLY relates to specific fault codes and to cure individual problems.lit is NOT acomplete remap it just changes certain paramaters relating to cault code

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
oh, that would make sense saying everything else is working fine. is it not even simpiler then to add/change parameters on certain codes? gettin back on monday i hope, so will keep posted on if the clutch has solved it or not, and how godd the dealers were at fixong my list of offending niggles!

Steve`o

I see some one replied that it won`t make much difference with a download, it cured 3 cars with engine judder that we had. Previously had changed egr solenoid under Seat techincial instruction, which made it worse. I can`t see why dealers won`t do it. It won`t allow to do a download if the car doesn`t need it. They will get paid for doing the job and it`s so easy to do. I ain`t saying that this will cure the judder problem, just telling people what we found. A download which takes half hour is easier to loose than taking the box out. Just trying to help.

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
hi. update time. got the car back today, seems smoother driving and power is better, they replaced clutch which they listed ass cluctch andflywheel as they one unit/system? no shudder at 1500rpm in 5th as yet. will keep eye out for it on the country roads in morning though, more likely then with the slow corners and hills my way!

Arciphel

i have found an easy way to replicate this in my 1.6s altea. Just drive along above 60 mph and switch the windscreen wipers from the off position into the fastest wiping position (right to the top) and you will find that the engine shudders. I think it is cross talk between the ESP module and the power going to the windscreen wiper motors! i thought it was something to do with rain as it only ever happened when it was raining, but it is not the moisture it is the fact that when it is raining you are more likely to have your wipers on!

volkscraft

The 1.6 is a seperate fault! Im sure it will be an Earth fault. i remember having an altea for a while, every now and then i put the wipers on it would cut the engine. mostly on the motorway when they are Really trying hard against the wind.

From memory it was a loose earth terminal under the fuse/relay carrier under the bonnet.... or around that area.

volkscraft

Well Cars are a tough environment for electricity, vibrations, salt, grit, flies, heat, cold and so on. VW Group cars are among the best in my opinion, but unfortunate things happen during production, mostly incorrect earth point torques.

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Hi, i am experiencing a shudder at idle, well it only noticable at idle, every second or two there is a lumpy vibration/shudder through the car, small but noticable. had the clutch and flywheel replaced in Nov/Dec? anyone any ideas?

volkscraft

Whats your engine code? how many miles is the car on... Would you describe the fault as a missfire or an uneven idle. Also have you got Vag com.