Alternative Brake Discs/Pads - Cupra

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
@SuperV8, thanks for your help and knowledge so far, I'll update this when I receive the pads and get hold of the car to replace the fluid, clean up the brakes and replace the rear pads.
Next, front diff service as that has been noted as being required, but I've got myself up to date with that task, just need the nod to buy a kit of parts!

Reactions: SuperV8

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Well I've now been given my daughter's 2019 Leon Cupra and replaced its rear brake pads, both the original factory fitted pads and the VW Group replacements are GA9005FF so any ideas of ending up with a more suitable pad material have just disappeared - though it now has rear brake pads that are fit for a couple of years (or more) service!

Reactions: Slickric21

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Well I've now been given my daughter's 2019 Leon Cupra and replaced its rear brake pads, both the original factory fitted pads and the VW Group replacements are GA9005FF so any ideas of ending up with a more suitable pad material have just disappeared - though it now has rear brake pads that are fit for a couple of years (or more) service!
Can you share photos of the old pads & discs?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
1668294415842.jpeg
Here are the original factory fitted pads, I did not take any pictures of the discs but they are now grey and ridged instead of silver and smoothish. The friction material on these pads were 3.5mm outers and 4.5mm inners.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
View attachment 34407 Here are the original factory fitted pads, I did not take any pictures of the discs but they are now grey and ridged instead of silver and smoothish. The friction material on these pads were 3.5mm outers and 4.5mm inners.
I would suggest these radial micro grooves are a result of lack of use.
Corrosion on the disc will build up naturally from moist air/rain and it relies on brake pads friction material to clean this off.
Lack of use (either time/temperature/pressure etc) doesn't clean the discs effectively and this corrosion gradually gets worse.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members