amp and standard head unit?

FASTER

Feb 18, 2005
Nottingham
ive been thinking of doing a boot install but the thing is i hate carrying my head unit front around with me! im running a standard aura head unit that i got with the car and was thinking if there was a way of connecting the amp to this without using pre outs etc... is it safe to use a speaker live or will that blow the headunits amp?
thanks

shadydaverave

you can get convertors that are available from Halfords, Maplin or many other car audio shops that take the normal output wire from the head unit and convert it into RCA outputs at a much lower voltage, the amplifiers should be able to handle this.
Your next problem is you need to find a wire to remotly turn the amps on, wether or not you have for example an antena remote lead, somthing like that would be ideal, however you'd probebly be best of using the ignition wire going to the head unit(ask the manufactuars).
If you want to still use the head unit to power the door speakers you should dissconect the rear speakers and use them as your signals for your amps.
Hope this can be of some help!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.