AndrewJB's daily MK1 Leon FR+ TDI

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Another small update!

Car had pressed plates on it when I bought it, they were battered, I used to run pressed plates on my Ibiza back in 2007 but think these are a little dated these days. Had somebody local make me some new ones.

Rear Before
gWe4w13l.jpg

bFIHFBTl.jpg

4wKYLQjl.jpg

Rear After
vatZwctl.jpg

Front
DeyYRi0l.jpg

y03EWVRl.jpg

A lot cleaner, Standard UK font with red bored. Yes I know its hard to see the difference when the reg is removed!!

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
So when I purchased the Leon it had a "Stage 1.5 tune" on it done by a local company to the seller who "knew what he was talking about" I looked them up on Instagram and they seemed to be a company who travel around in their van, lots of good reviews but I wasn't convinced.

The car has a stock GT1749 turbo which is capable of 1.7bar boost max so I did some logging on the file and guess what...File was requesting 1.9-2.0 bar on stock turbo!

ULFPtDXl.jpg

In the above pic the requested is red, actual is yellow. Can clearly see its not capable of making anywhere near requested!

So today have put the stock PD150 file back on, I didn't realise how slow the stock car was! and done some logging... everything looks good.

In Discussions with PDTuning.net who are going to do some remote tuning on it, basically told them I want max power but safe! less smoke and all the usual extras such as popcorn limiter, launch control, EGR delete and N75 deep idle. Once have got a file from them will do lots of logging.

Reactions: paddy6789

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
So spent about 2 hours last night doing some remote tuning with PDtuning then I got told off my the missus so had to resume this morning.

So far I've done 14 runs (14 different data .csv) on 4 different files.

First file is Stock OEM SEAT file, 2nd file is Stock + N75 adjustments, 3rd is a Stage 1 file and 4th is a second version of that file. Very much doubt the original tuner of this car went to this "extreme" when tuning it. I reckon they flashed a map and that was it.

Were looking to smooth out a slight boost spike at 1200rpm and then we will turn the boost up slightly for a little more power!

At the moment the car is pretty smokeless as well, I do want a little smoke at the end but nothing excessive (I had a pure smoke map on my PD170 years ago).

Eventually might bang a GT1752 turbo on it!

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2020-07-22 10.50.14.jpeg
    Screenshot from 2020-07-22 10.50.14.jpeg
    255.6 KB · Views: 238

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Another job ticked off! can go in a straight line again.

Cvoe4HLl.jpg

Before
qjgejRvl.jpg

After
VU6vIZml.jpg

Don't think the bolts had ever been undone in 15 years had to get WD40 and heat gun on them!

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Service was due earlier in the year but due to lockdown haven't bothered, it hammered it down yesterday but found a break in the rain so decided to do it quickly, also needed to adjust front drivers side coilover which was a different height to the rest for some reason.

aUybFyWl.jpg

oIcE2XBl.jpg

Only did oil, oil filter, air filter this time round, done 3609 miles since last year where I did pollen filter and fuel filter as well.

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Really need to get some more mechanical work done but for now some looks work

FR+ badges were really faded again! ebay specials as the OEM ones aren't available.

UPDCZcEl.jpg

EKoPmxMl.jpg

So had these made
VJKiwEHl.jpg

Nkadkysl.jpg

Reactions: bigT's lcr

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Hmmm, tbh they would look better with either a chrome or black outline, but that’s just my pennies-worth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigT's lcr

Delete. Beat. Repeat...
Feb 27, 2016
Leeds
Really need to get some more mechanical work done but for now some looks work

FR+ badges were really faded again! ebay specials as the OEM ones aren't available.

UPDCZcEl.jpg

EKoPmxMl.jpg

So had these made
VJKiwEHl.jpg

Nkadkysl.jpg
Like the full red rather than black and red. U have em sprayed or 3d printed?

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
So the Leon hasn't been used much this year but has started smoking badly on startup and also rattling/shaking. after a few minutes of driving it runs fine.

VCDS shows cylinder 4 as having a missfire and also injector for reading at +2.99 continuous. So one trick was to clean up the connectors on the injector, tried that no luck. Next step is to fit a new loom
VvED3U7l.jpg

eDi2oPdl.jpg

Took about 1/2 hour to strip the rocker cover off and undo the loom. Unfortunately that hasn't solved the issue either.

While had the loom out had a quick look and I think Camshaft has worn on cylinder 4.
cL9bn4Wl.jpg

if you compare that to cylinder 3
SPKuZJJl.jpg

In the meantime, I just want the smoke to die down for Feb MOT so going to fit a 2nd hand injector on cylinder 4 to see if that stops it for now! So this mornings job first of all was to fit new seals on the injector.
2vy9yFIl.jpg

No to fit the new injector!

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
New injector is in, the old injector coming out was very clean which suggests diesel was leaking onto it! Camshaft wear also couldn't be seen this time round maybe it was just the way the oil was sitting on it. It does have a slight flat spot at bottom but nothing major.

k9XsxRBl.jpg

Initial start up was as smokey/lumpy as ever! OBD was reading +2.99 again, took it out for a 20 minute driver smoke has cleared up (which it used to anyway) and checked again, now reading at +1.5 which its never read like that before, so letting it cool down all day then going to start it up tonight and see if it smokes again.

Hoping the initial crank over was burning off left over fuel and it was a mixture of injector solenoid broke and also leaky seals!

Got a Valeo SMF kit coming tomorrow as well as think the DMF is knackered (always though it was a SMF but dont think it is now)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.