The_Saint

Apr 6, 2014
Cardiff
I have now purchased this unit. Would be good to know from you guys that have already fitted if it's just a straight plug and play or any swapping with live feed required for battery drain issues etc?
I have had no issues at all, when I parked the car up for 10 days at an airport car park I took the precaution of using the power setting where it powers off after an hour of the key being removed from the ignition.

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
I have had no issues at all, when I parked the car up for 10 days at an airport car park I took the precaution of using the power setting where it powers off after an hour of the key being removed from the ignition.
Sounds good - Thanks. And does it need any adaptors for iso connectors or just takes what is already there from the old HU fits straight into this?

The_Saint

Apr 6, 2014
Cardiff
I put it (GPS aerial) in the left hand side A pillar as I was placing the DAB aerial there. I separately bought a DAB dongle.

The_Saint

Apr 6, 2014
Cardiff
GPS ariels are often magnetic. Mine's stuck to some metal part under the dash.

GPS works fine.
Agreed, I just wanted to get a faster GPS lock. As a runner I have seen how long a Garmin GPS running watch can take to get a lock when obstructed.

The_Saint

Apr 6, 2014
Cardiff
Assume the OEM USB and aux inputs will no longer work?
No, but in return you get a Micro SD card at the front and 3 normal USB ports in the back, I simply fitted a USB extension lead to one of them and routed it to the area underneath the steering wheel out of sight for times when I want to add files to the additional 64GB stick I plugged into one of the other ports.

Reactions: kewe

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
You could probably hack the wiring about on them to make it work, as long as your new headunit supports USB and Aux-in at the rear?

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Yeah I also have the 64GB micro sd card fitted into the front with all my music, works well. I will take the USB extensions from the back of the unit and bring it out the front. I believe you need this in order to mirror your phone screen onto the unit? One downside I have found is my Tom Tom Go mobile app doesn't seem to work on it. This seems to be a common problem on all Android HU's and something Tom Tom have done to ensure their S/W cannot be run on 3rd Party HU's!!

The_Saint

Apr 6, 2014
Cardiff
Yeah I also have the 64GB micro sd card fitted into the front with all my music, works well. I will take the USB extensions from the back of the unit and bring it out the front. I believe you need this in order to mirror your phone screen onto the unit? One downside I have found is my Tom Tom Go mobile app doesn't seem to work on it. This seems to be a common problem on all Android HU's and something Tom Tom have done to ensure their S/W cannot be run on 3rd Party HU's!!
I am using the TomTom Go app

The_Saint

Apr 6, 2014
Cardiff
Really, as in you have the app downloaded on the HU and it works from that? Mines starts to work but doesn't display the roads once you start driving?
They recently did a new look and the rather strange outcome of this seems to be that unless you are following a route you have input, the details are to say the least a bit lacking. They would argue I guess that if you aren't following a route, why do you need details? I don't agree and I was waiting to see if it remains like this.

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Hmm more problems. After leaving the car idle for a couple of days now only the touch buttons illuminate, no screen. I tried holding the reset button for 10secs and buttons flash, but the unit doesn't reset or reboot? Anyone any ideas?

The_Saint

Apr 6, 2014
Cardiff
Back to ToTom Go - I agree that there is definitely something up with it regardless of this new look they are promising, I uninstalled and reinstalled just to be sure and I would say that their update has broken it in some way on Android 9, I installed it on my phone which is Android 8.1 and it looks just as it used to do on the car unit. I will see if there is any feedback mechanism.
Update - have posted a message on their forum

Last edited:

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Back to ToTom Go - I agree that there is definitely something up with it regardless of this new look they are promising, I uninstalled and reinstalled just to be sure and I would say that their update has broken it in some way on Android 9, I installed it on my phone which is Android 8.1 and it looks just as it used to do on the car unit. I will see if there is any feedback mechanism.
Update - have posted a message on their forum
Cheers

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.