Another first impressions thread....PHOTOS ADDED!

Rikwaite

Hi Wigan lad

Have u tried to put the logos the radio stations yet?? I've done it but can only get the on the preset options. When I select say radio 1 on dab it doesn't seem to bring up the picture. It had a blank square with DAB in it. Is yours the same. ???
Has anyone else tried it

Cheers rik

Forthewin

All cars looking good guys! The new Leon is looking good, really liking red and white.

IBMax

Hey Andy,

Hoping you or someone else can help. I'm looking at picking up a new Leon FR but am trying to decide whether to go with 17" or 18" wheels. It's not a cost issue, more a comfort/practicality issue. My wife will be using the car to drive (mainly on a motorway) to and from work - approx 40km each way and i'll be using it the rest of the time. I'd like to have the bigger wheels but i don't want her rattled to pieces ;)

I've test driven an FR with 17" and found the ride to be a good balance between comfortable but firm/sporty. I haven't been able to find a dealer who has an 18" model for testing. How do you find the bigger wheels on the roads - ride quality, noise, etc??? would you advise the 18's over the 17's or visa versa.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

thanks
Ian

kugaman1

Mar 6, 2013
Aberdeenshire
Hi Ian,
I test drove an SE with 17s before ordering my FR with 18s.
The FR is definitely firmer riding but most certainly is not crashy. For sports suspension with 18s, it rides the bumps very well. There was no noteable difference in noise levels either. The 18s come with Continental tyres on and they are a very compliant, quiet tyre.
I came out of a 2011 Golf GT TDI which was on 17s and the Leon feels slightly firmer but rides the bumps equally as well. Dont get me wrong, its not like a magic carpet, but its 10x better than the A3 S Line that I tested 3 months ago - now that was a crashy super hard ride.

There is a little bit more road noise on the motorway compared to the Golf, but on A roads its just as quiet.
I have no regrets whatsoever about ordering the 18s. They look much nicer and suit the car better than the 17s I think.

Im a 44 year old bloke and no boy racer, but find the car suitably sporty riding but refined enough to be relaxing when the mood dictates!

Im 2000 miles in and loving it!

Andy:p

Last edited:

IBMax

Hi Ian,
I test drove an SE with 17s before ordering my FR with 18s.
The FR is definitely firmer riding but most certainly is not crashy. For sports suspension with 18s, it rides the bumps very well. There was no noteable difference in noise levels either. The 18s come with Continental tyres on and they are a very compliant, quiet tyre.
I came out of a 2011 Golf GT TDI which was on 17s and the Leon feels slightly firmer but rides the bumps equally as well. Dont get me wrong, its not like a magic carpet, but its 10x better than the A3 S Line that I tested 3 months ago - now that was a crashy super hard ride.

There is a little bit more road noise on the motorway compared to the Golf, but on A roads its just as quiet.
I have no regrets whatsoever about ordering the 18s. They look much nicer and suit the car better than the 17s I think.

Im a 44 year old bloke and no boy racer, but find the car suitably sporty riding but refined enough to be relaxing when the mood dictates!

Im 2000 miles in and loving it!

Andy:p

Thanks for the great info!!! Its particularly relevant as we only tested an S-Line A3 a few weeks back and felt exactly the same about it as yourself!!! I showed your response to the missus and she smiled so i guess its 18inches, here we come :clap:

unclelonghair

Jul 6, 2007
Newcastle upon Tyne
I came from a MkV Golf GT Sport on 18's to a Leon FR TSi on 18's, and the ride on the Leon is much better. It's still firm but I don't get the jarring on potholes/speedbumps that I did on the Golf.

kugaman1

Mar 6, 2013
Aberdeenshire
Thanks for the great info!!! Its particularly relevant as we only tested an S-Line A3 a few weeks back and felt exactly the same about it as yourself!!! I showed your response to the missus and she smiled so i guess its 18inches, here we come :clap:

Theres a joke there somewhere????

I mentioned 18 inches to my missus and she also smiled......... And said i needed to buy a smaller tape measure.:confused:

Andy:whistle:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise