any ideas on what intercooler this is?

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
it was truely hideous pressure drop even on k03 turbos with this core.
rubbish

std smic is better flowing..
it cooled yea, but it sure did'nt flow
you cant map out pressure drop, its a physical thing.. imagine sticking a 1" intake pipe onto the turbo, and try mapping that out to get power..

What some of the guys Adam/Mike formerly AM guys, was convert this core to single pass and repipe it.. it works well then

s1l3nc3r

ASBO car.
Jun 30, 2008
essex
was going to say similiar to you there bill i checked out an old very heated thread about these coolers from before...there was reports of a 5-7 psi drop in pressure like said adam/mike changed the design to a single pass which made it better but it was the core that was shockingly bad so they pretty much changed the whole thing..:lol:

leedc5

how much of a difference would be seen if this was swapped for a forge front mount? Is it worth forking out 700 quid?

jamiebennett81

it was truely hideous pressure drop even on k03 turbos with this core.
rubbish

std smic is better flowing..
it cooled yea, but it sure did'nt flow
you cant map out pressure drop, its a physical thing.. imagine sticking a 1" intake pipe onto the turbo, and try mapping that out to get power..

What some of the guys Adam/Mike formerly AM guys, was convert this core to single pass and repipe it.. it works well then

got ya:)

ah yes, the AM boys....those were some interesting times on here;)

there cant be many, if any sales of the grs cooler then with its twin pass design...I am surprised if they still made it, as it states POA on their site for that cooler

Speak to Danny_lad (one of many) who have gone down the custom route of making their own FMIC up, which works pretty well

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
plus why would you wanna map in 5psi more boost and waste it on the cooler ?

cuprachrissy

how much of a difference would be seen if this was swapped for a forge front mount? Is it worth forking out 700 quid?

go to the forge section on here and ask them for a price on their fmic.

Backdraft

The forge ibiza cooler is only rated to around 260 bhp. I would go universal single pass and do your own pipework.

leedc5

if i went down the route of universal with custom pipework could i use any existing pipe work? I'll have a search and see what comes up. So to get the most out of the car ditch the crap intercooler basically

jamiebennett81

if i went down the route of universal with custom pipework could i use any existing pipe work? I'll have a search and see what comes up. So to get the most out of the car ditch the crap intercooler basically

no you will need all new pipework....63mm I think, to ensure the pipework is all the same size from the end tanks of the FMIC to the turbo (or a reducer to the turbo is the only thing that you reduce...I think)

I only briefly know what is involved in doing this, but do a search as ALOT of other Ibiza guys have this setup and works well for them

make sure you use proper samco hosing, avoid cheap crap and make sure you use decent jubilee clips too, to prevent any pipes popping off!!

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
got ya:)

ah yes, the AM boys....those were some interesting times on here;)

there cant be many, if any sales of the grs cooler then with its twin pass design...I am surprised if they still made it, as it states POA on their site for that cooler

Speak to Danny_lad (one of many) who have gone down the custom route of making their own FMIC up, which works pretty well

Yup mine works a treat and worked out at 240 or so from fmic to full pipes....

leedc5

i'd rather go forge, least you know its a quality proven product, they sell them on ebay for 600quid which isn't to bad. But 240 quid like posted above isn't to bad at all, and if its more than capable a saving of 360 could be spent on something else

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
I think most of the restriction on the Forge FMIC is the piping and inlet/exits to the cooler at the back

Custom FMIC and piping ftw ;)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise